United Shore Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 13 Nov 2019

3.6
United Shore CEO Mat Ishbia
Mat Ishbia
Pros
  • "I've watched it shift from a small 20 team members in IT to over 500(in 77 reviews)

• "United Shore is growing so fast that we have the world’s largest sandbox to always play in(in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you’re looking for a starter job United Shore(in 40 reviews)

• "Leaders do not respect their underwriters(in 30 reviews)

1. "Team Member - IT"

I have been working at United Shore full-time

Pros

Looking for a great place to kickstart your career? This is it! Opportunities and growth along with a focus on work life balance make United Shore one of the places to work anywhere.

Cons

Our fast paced environment may not be for everyone, but for those of you who are looking for innovatiion and growth this is the place!

United Shore2017-11-29
  2. "Underwriter"

I have been working at United Shore full-time

Pros

- People - Potential for bonuses - Good perk

Cons

- Poor 401k matching - Bad work hours 10-7pm

United Shore2018-09-17

"Mostly Good"

Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health Insurance, PTO, opportunities for bonus and advancement

Cons

Driven by quantity not quality, base pay does not meet living wage standards

Advice to Management

Raise starting pay to $15 an hour and adjust all other pay accordingly.

United Shore2019-11-12
  4. "Best job I’ve ever held"

I have been working at United Shore

Pros

On-site amenities such as a gym, basketball court, volleyball court, convenience store, cafe, starbucks, doctor office, and salon. Great atmosphere to work in. Everyone is friendly! No negativity allowed. Working in I.T. Is very laid back. Firm 40 hour work week. Easily promoted if you are good at what you do.

Cons

Salary isn’t as high as some other places.

United Shore2019-11-12
  5. "Amazing workplace!"

Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at United Shore full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, opportunities for growth, fast paced and challenging. I feel like I get to make an impact every day, and the people I work with are amazing!

Cons

The only downside I have is that I wish I would have found United Shore and started my career here earlier!

Advice to Management

Keep the culture strong and keep hiring great people as we expand our team.

United Shore2019-11-08
  6. "Excellent experience"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at United Shore full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everything about the place is amazing. I never felt so happy going to a job in the morning. Everyone is polite and there is great room for growth and to make a great living. I just wish I had what it took to pass the class. I unfortunately couldn’t comprehend the final presentation good enough for them to move forward with me. I tried everything and studied so hard. It’s a terrible feeling but I guess I only have... myself to blame. I should’ve studied different. But the fact of the matter is this place is amazing if you can get in. It’ll be the best decision you’ve ever made. I wish I could be a part of it. But I have to take responsibility for that. I appreciate the opportunity. And if anything it made me stronger

Cons

I can’t think of one thing wrong.

United Shore2019-11-04
  7. "Great Place To Be Since early 2019"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is the ultimate positive environment for a growing company . Mortgages are overall boring so finding a place to work that enjoyable is a big deal. Pay is great for new people to the mortgage industry, and growth is really open right now.

Cons

I cant think of any right now. Getting crowded but we just purchased another building next door... So all is well

Advice to Management

While we grow its super important to keep the culture we have now!

United Shore2019-11-04
  8. "Evolving in IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for less than a year

Pros

IT is part-way through a transition from a mere enabler of the business to a full fledged strategic differentiator. It’s already driving incredible value, but it’s processes haven’t matured as quickly as the team has grown. That makes some things tougher than they ought to be, but no one hides it. All of the rough spots are recognized and a lot of focused effort is being applied to making it better. If you’re the... type of person who wants to be given a manual of “how we do it” and then sit in a cube and do it, then this isn’t the environment for you. If you’re the type of person who wants a say in how it should be done, and is willing to roll up your sleeves to get it done, then join the team.

Cons

As the processes are maturing there has been a lot of change, and I expect that will continue. It can be exhausting, but not fixing the problems would be worse.

United Shore2019-10-31

"Absolutely Incredible!"

Current Employee - Development Team Lead in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for more than a year

Pros

I don’t even know where to begin, this is such an amazing place to work! The opportunities are endless and you really can be who and what you want to be. Come in as an underwriter and want to move to IT? Done. Want to move up into the ranks of leadership? Prove yourself to be a leader in your role and it’s done. Very few places allow for that and it’s really one of Shore’s strengths. The other piece to this is our... Pillars. Most company’s have some sort of core philosophy that they tell you about on the first day but you quickly realize that it’s all fake - not here! Everyone here truly embodies each and every pillar and it’s the primary reason this company has come so far. The second most important is our technology. Our technology team is unparalleled in what we can produce. The speed at which we move and the agility we have as an IT team overall is mind-blowing. We deliver in a few months what most companies would take years to develop. As a member of the IT team, I really have to say it’s the best team I’ve ever worked with and it’s only getting better. IT is one big family and everyone looks out for each other. The most valuable piece to me, however, is that your voice is heard no matter what your role is. I started off as a developer and later moved into leadership and my thoughts and opinions were heard and, most importantly, valued from the moment I joined. I felt able to effect change no matter what I was doing and a lot of this is owed to the culture our CTO has created for us. Jason Bressler is a world-class leader and has built an incredible team and culture. He invites open and honest feedback by maintaining an open-door policy that applies to team members at all levels which is unheard of. Oh, and have I mentioned the perks and amenities? We have a beautiful building with an in-house Starbucks and huge cafeteria. There’s a full gym with a full-size basketball court!! We’ve even got an arcade and various other fun-filled activists.

Cons

Because we deliver so fast, sometimes there are hiccups or challenges that create bigger problems. This can lead to working overtime occasionally but that isn’t very common. Outside of that, there are some typical growing pains due to our exponential growth but they quickly become minor in the big scheme of things.

United Shore2019-10-26
  10. "Absolutely love it"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best place to be at where people and culture are valued as #1. Today was an excellent example of Diwali party celebrated with senior leaders support and participation

Cons

Fast paced environment but that is to be expected with an aggressive growth. Can’t complain.

United Shore2019-10-25