Cover image for United Airlines

United Airlines

Engaged Employer

United Airlines

Add a Review

United Airlines Employee Reviews about "away from home"

3.9

3 stars

2 stars

1 star

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "Great benefits and change to meet a lot of people from all over the place.(in 782 reviews)
  • "Flight benefits are great when it’s not the busy season and you can actually get a seat.(in 531 reviews)
  • "people are great and fun to be around.(in 296 reviews)
  • "The travel benefits are great Ability to transfer across departments can enhance skill set Very dedicated to DEI(in 285 reviews)
  • "Great coworkers and awesome to be part of United Family.(in 99 reviews)
Cons
  • "The management is poor and I’ve observed some people take advantage of their supervisor positions.(in 269 reviews)
  • "Low pay and you get hired for one job but don't get to do it for over three months(in 219 reviews)
  • "Long hours and the Union didn't give good support when you really needed it.(in 83 reviews)
  • "Upper management is also unwilling to appropriately compensate the engineering structure as a whole.(in 68 reviews)
  • "Low salary at the start(in 61 reviews)

Ratings by Demographics

Want more options?

This rating reflects the overall rating of United Airlines and is not affected by filters.

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email

Found 70 of over 6K reviews

Updated Dec 6, 2023

Reviews about "away from home"

Return to all Reviews
      Jul 30, 2021
      Airline Pilot
      Former Employee, more than 10 years
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is great and the benefits are favorable. The time off is excellent after you gain seniority.

Cons

The time away from home and family is trying. Some days have long hours on international flights.

Aug 9, 2019
        Current Employee
        Business Outlook

Pros

- Travel benefits - Health benefits

Cons

- Can be away from home and loved ones often

2. Join the United Airlines team
        See Our Latest Jobs
          Jun 7, 2022
          Former Employee, less than 1 year
          Business Outlook

Pros

Fun and loved the company

Cons

Long hours away from home

Oct 26, 2020
            Former Employee, more than 5 years
            Denver, CO
            Business Outlook

Pros

flexible schedule and great benefits

Cons

away from home a lot and low pay for first five years

Sept 5, 2023
              Current Employee, more than 5 years
              Business Outlook

Pros

Free flights and travel opportunities Flexible schedule Opportunities to meet new people Health insurance.

Cons

Time away from home Weekend and holiday work Frequent time zone changes

1. 3.0
                May 5, 2016
                Former Employee, more than 10 years
                New York, NY
                Business Outlook

Pros

A great job for someone who can be away from home for several days at a time.

Cons

Low pay and ever changing schedule.

1. 3.0
                  Sept 4, 2021
                  International Flight Attendant
                  Former Employee
                  San Francisco, CA
                  Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to see the world.

Cons

Long hours away from home. Weak union contract. Stressful work environment.

Sept 1, 2018
                    International Flight Attendant
                    Former Employee, more than 8 years
                    Newark, NJ
                    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked for Continental then United and felt they created a professional, caring and inclusive environment for becoming a successful flight attendant. I was impressed at the level of training and importance that is put into Flight Attendant position. The flight benefits, health/dental, and 401k benefits were very good. My background in other corporate environments and being a small business owner gave me a base to make some comparisons on income potential, and I felt as though after just a couple of few years of being a flight attendant, the pay rate really starts to increase and your flexibility on how you work improves. I've made life-long friends and have traveled to places I've never imagined. There is such a sense of pride in knowing you are making an impact on so many people's lives in a single day of flying. Your friendly smile and helpful attitude to safety and service might be a small fraction of a person's day, but it can be the fraction that turns their day from bad to good, and that's so encouraging. Your day can also be very different from the day before, sometimes working with a completely different crew. For me, that was always exciting.

Cons

It is definitely a lifestyle choice because you are traveling and away from home or your family for a significant amount of time. In addition, I commuted to my base, so getting to work was sometimes a challenge because you fly standby a lot and you plan very much in advance to get to work if you commute. If you choose to commute to your base, be prepared for this.

Mar 10, 2021
                      Current Employee
                      Business Outlook

Pros

Travel Benefits, Flexibility of schedule

Cons

Time away from home and family

Apr 19, 2016
                        Jet Driver
                        Former Employee
                        Honolulu, HI
                        Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay, prestige and travel.

Cons

many Days away from home

Viewing 1 - 10 of 70 Reviews
                      </>Embed

Popular Careers with United Airlines Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Want the inside scoop on your own company?

Join your Company Bowl™ for anonymous work chats.

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

Analytical Chemist

Do you experience that how long the hiring process would take at Thermo Fisher? I got my second interview with hiring manager at the beginning of November but I haven’t heard nothing from them. When I’ve emailed them to check in they just said that the process would be slow, no time frame. I would be able to get an offer soon from other company but work as contractor. Should I wait for Thermo Fisher?

0 Comments

KPMG

Booz Allen Hamilton Recently applied and I've been referred for an interview! Any tips on interviewing with Booz Allen? And if I am being asked to complete clearance and background upfront, is this a good indicator for being hired?

2 Comments

Alex L.

Applied for a job a few weeks back, got a call from HR yesterday morning about an interview next week. She mentioned she'd shoot me an email with all the interview details, but so far, my inbox is empty. Assuming I'll hear from her early next week, is it normal for them to expect me to show up for an in-person interview on short notice, like couple days?

2 Comments

Glassdoor has 6,451 United Airlines reviews submitted anonymously by United Airlines employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if United Airlines is right for you.