Ungerboeck Software International Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Ungerboeck Software International President & CEO Manish Chandak
Manish Chandak

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Good Company, Great People"

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time

Pros

I've been with the company for more than a year. The best part has been the people I work with - very talented and dedicated. If you've worked at organizations where you didn't have talented co-workers, you understand why this is so important.
    The company itself has more of a family atmosphere than corporate. It is a smaller company which I like and does have a global presence which can be very challenging (in a good way).
    The culture is very impressive. There are plenty of social events and company celebrations. It's not all play, of course, but the company does seem to actively try to maintain a balance.
    The CEO, Manish Chandak, has a very strong technical background and seems to understand the need to invest in newer technologies. He has definitely taken steps to move the company in a more innovative and "cutting edge" direction which is great to be a part of.
    Having a personal trainer on staff with a workout area is very popular.

Cons

I think the biggest con would be the legacy environment currently being supported. This is definitely decreasing and hopefully will be retired soon but for now it is still there.
    The company is definitely growing and so common problems like parking, office space, etc. do exist. I'm sure that management is aware of these and addressing them.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on retiring the legacy environment so even more time and effort can be dedicated to the new versions of the product.
    Continue to invest to newer technologies and allowing your technical staff to innovate and explore.

2. "Good Core...and Growth & Opportunity are Knocking"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people first and foremost make up the heart of Ungerboeck. Very talented, kind & genuine people at all levels of the company & there are constant opportunities to get involved both before & after work. The company encourages their employees to be comfortable...relaxed dress code, fresh fruit/snacks, and a volleyball court are just some of the perks.

The industry is challenging, but ripe with opportunity. The company is at a point now where it could rapidly expand in the near future, so people that are willing to take the initiative and drive that growth should find themselves (careers) in a great position moving forward. How many other companies in the St. Louis area are you going to find that work with the top convention centers, stadiums, universities, and exhibition clients all over the world?

Benefits include a great 401(k) match, dental/health insurance, gym membership, and even access to a training program onsite once you've been with the company long-enough.

The last, and perhaps greatest plus, is the time flexibility & understanding or the work-life balance that everyone needs. The ability to work from home and/or use flextime allows me to take care of my family, get a work out in over lunch, or just be more comfortable at the office is a tremendous benefit.

Cons

Growing a company doesn't come without some growing pains, whether its restructuring departments for expansion or implementing more efficient processes & systems. Communication & execution for such endeavors isn't always the cleanest, but is improving.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward, but remember that the people and core values helped grow Ungerboeck into what it is today. In a rapidly changing arena it'll be critical to continue innovating in order to remain a leader in the events industry.

3. "A human adventure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lyon (France)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lyon (France)

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Because the value of this company is based on the people, the company ensures the people inside feel good. This is the way to keep and attract talents. Reward and recognition are part of the culture.
    - There is no heavy hierarchy, the management levels keep the company structured and organised, but if your answer lies on a higher level than your direct line manager, you don't need to go through all hierarchy levels to find your way.
    - The multi-cultural environment of Ungerboeck is not just a myth, it's something you experience every day.

Cons

- lack of consistency in salaries
    - onboarding process could be improved
    - a big workload

Advice to Management

Encourage people to think corporate.

"An amazing workplace with awesome people!"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time

Pros

The first thing that I noticed when I first picked up my phone for my first interview was that Ungerboeck-ians/ Ungerfam were really nice people. Since my very first day working here, everyone has been helpful and eager to learn from one another. Managers and directors are always readily there to help you with problems that you have. We have a flat hierarchy in our organization and I find it easy to talk to everyone, even our product managers in the US. Speaking to colleagues from different regions is also pretty easy and everyone is friendly and they give it their all to help you out with questions. I have never felt singled out and I am glad to have such supportive people that I am proud to call my Ungerfam.

Cons

There might at times be stressful moments, but it comes with every single job. It is also motivation to do better. The only other thing would probably be to have more get-togethers as consultants travel often. However, still, it is a good place to work at.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! You guys are amazing!

8 Aug, 2018 – HR Generalist

Thanks for the review! We're so glad you feel supported by your Ungerfam. We can appreciate the hard work a consultant must do. From traveling to working onsite with customers, it can be stressful... More

"Fake "culture""

I worked at Ungerboeck Software International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

easy job, laid back atmosphere, plenty of activities and fun stuff to do during the work-day (work outs, lunch & learns, etc.)

Cons

They act as if the most valuable part of the company is their company culture and "family-like" atmosphere when in reality its all a front that looks nice but has no real substance.

If the culture was as great as they portray it to be, then employees wouldn't be leaving after many years and Management wouldn't lie to employees and tell them things are getting better when in fact they are not.

Advice to Management

When people who have diligently worked at your business for over 10+ years decide to go searching for new jobs, maybe you should look more into yourselves and find out why people who once LOVED Ungerboeck have no problem leaving it behind once Krister left Ungerboeck.

8 Aug, 2018 – CEO

Over the past 2+ years, our team and company have been actively involved in ensuring that that the legacy of our rich heritage continues to be embedded in the core of who we are as a company. In our... More

"Satisfied and happy - You should be too"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dardenne Prairie, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dardenne Prairie, MO (US)

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had the pleasure of working for Ungerboeck now for 2 years. The place isn't perfect (what company is?) but I have found a home. This company is made up of great people working together to achieve what would be impossible for most.

We produce techonology solutions for an exciting space flush with challenges and opportunities. This makes it both tough and thrilling. Each customer and product is hard-earned but the victory is satisfying.

This company seems to embrace the management philosophy of getting the right people on the bus and in the right seat. They gave me a chance and have encouraged my growth (I hope it could be described as flourishing but someone else can speak for my performance).

Great people, great product, great future. I'm excited about our future.

About other reviews...Realize some people are eternally unhappy and they are usually the loudest, others would never speak an ill word about someone or something else. I believe myself to be a fairly even-minded person but my review is also colored by my experience. Experiences are subjective; mine, negative reviewers, and glowing reviews. Yours would be too. Give the company a chance, give the people here a chance. The 'risk' is worth the reward.

Cons

I have hardly a thing to complain about I am compelled to list a few areas of improvement.

If you are looking for a job to make you rich quick, keep chasing the rainbow for that pot of gold. The benefits are comfortable and the salary is fair; just not flashy.

Our leadership has solid vision and strategy but I want more. I want a tight strategy with achievable tactics that factor environmental risks and opportunities. We are charting a new direction amidst a rapidly-shifiting techonogical environment and it will require sharp people, tactics, and a pinch of luck.

I'd like more mentorship and coaching. Efforts are being made but we need more opportunities for professional and leadership development.

Advice to Management

Keep casting vision, inspiring employees, and challenging us to do and be better. Don't lose sight of thinking about and caring for the hard-working employees!

"Ungerboeck is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Web Developer in O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, approachable management and a nice, collaborative culture. Casual-dress code with none of that "best-dressed competition" corporate office environments often feel like. Great fitness program and a diverse, non-judgemental staff. The management team shows genuine interest in employees' success through actions, benefits, activities and programs.

Cons

There is no paid maternity leave.

Advice to Management

Continue pushing the staff and products forward to a higher standard of excellence. Continue to make changes to modernize products and brand.

"New Leadership and management driving company into ground."

Former Employee - Support in O Fallon, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Support in O Fallon, MO (US)

I worked at Ungerboeck Software International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most coworkers were a delight to work with.

Cons

Out of date software
    Sexist environment
    HR staff having personal relationships with multiple employees
    CEO disconnected from staff.

Advice to Management

Go back to the family style most people had under previous leadership.

9. "Decent place to start"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Ungerboeck Software International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great people
    -Low stress environment
    -Variable start times

Cons

-Not all projects are managed nicely
    -Old technologies

Advice to Management

Always keep improving!

"From an actual employee - consider your options carefully."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Ungerboeck Software International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are an established professional in tech – do not waste your time here. Their salary offering should ensure that. Be sure to clarify that up front to save yourself some time. If you want to transition to tech or you are a young developer right out of school – you might consider this opportunity. It may allow you to cut your teeth on a business management software and in technology in general. The subject matter and client base are varied and can provide solid career experience. You just have to go in with your eyes wide open and clear, time-defined, objectives that are client-centric. While you are working towards your next step, do not waste your energy dealing with their complete lack of quality assurance or stressing out about a lack of resources. Get in, get your skills, and get out.

Cons

I was debating ever leaving a review here and wondering what good it would do. That is until I saw several reviews left over the past few weeks. Problems at USI do not come down to office layout/space and dealing with so much “growth”.
    Let’s call the last couple of years, “transition”, or “period of change” what it is – inept and clumsy c-level management that flies in the face of good leadership skills. This naturally caused middle management to become fearful and to begin flailing (those who could, left). A toxic environment became the norm for all. In addition to this cycle, some inexplicable new hires were made that actually added layers to middle management. Non-value added would be the kindest way to put it. Another fun feature has been the complete disregard for the career paths of existing long-term employees – one that cannot be justified by a lack of merit, skills, or common sense.
    Let’s also be clear that the high turnover (referred to openly at one point as “weekly departures”) is not a matter of folks who didn’t get a new “vision” or a “better way of operating” transitioning out. Do not fool yourselves - it is a matter of those who have the opportunity and ability to leave are leaving. There is no “dust settled” as of this writing. The only silver lining of the turnover is that there have been short bursts of long overdue promotions and salary increases for existing (and very deserving) employees – ostensibly part of a bigger plan but really just meant to stem the tide of departures.

Advice to Management

This place has just lost its way. In the past, there were inefficiencies and it was a bit unpolished for sure. However, it could have been great – and it may still be. Perhaps a member of the family might still step in.

1 Jun, 2018 – HR Generalist

Thanks for leaving a review. We do appreciate feedback of any kind. As many of the reviews mention, there has been quite a bit of change. Change that you obviously witnessed first hand and it was... More