Ultimate Software Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Ultimate Software Chairman, President, and CEO Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "There are no cons that I can think of" (in 89 reviews)

• "Struggles with work life balance" (in 32 reviews)

1. "People first..always"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel like this company understands the secret to success - hire the right people, pay them well, treat them well, respect them - and watch what happens.
    I feel trusted - I work from home and don't have anyone looking over my shoulder. I want the company to be successful and to have a part in that so I give my 100%.
    Ultimate Software has amazing culture and gives all employees the tools to be successful

Cons

I haven't found any yet

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and no matter how much we grow - and we are growing! - I hope that this culture continues because it's unlike anything I have ever experienced.

"I am so glad I left Ultimate and started working again for a Silicon valley company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Ultimate Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't see any pros in working here except for free snacks in Toronto office.
    I am so glad I quit and started working again for a bay area company.
    I can count on my fingertips few employees in Toronto who are technically solid, but they have assumed role of architects now and so are no more directly involved in collaboration with teams.

Cons

Where should I start:
    -They talk about culture , work for ANY bay area company and you will get culture better than what they talk about in their company.
    -Salary is not competitive ; quite a few employees in this company are being underpaid and they are aware of it as brought up by them during candid chats at lunch time.
    -50 RSU (approx 14000 which is subject to taxes and 3 yrs vesting) on joining. Are you kidding me ? Silicon valley companies offering average $75K as RSU when people join .
    -No bonus for employees. Which company in the valley or Canada does not offer a bonus ; since you shimmer your fortune best place to work tag : why don't you try to compete with them when it comes to compensation. No one gives a damn about the Disney trip , which by the way is once every two years now instead of every year.Agreed cost of living in Toronto s lower than bay area; but you underpay even by Toronto standards.
    -The talent in this place is no way close to the talent pool of Silicon valley companies.I have worked at many places (including top silicon valley companies) and I can say with confidence the quality of people in Toronto does not even come close to the people working in the San Fran region/companies which are based in the valley.
    -The managers in Toronto office don't know how to manage ; they are either Micro Managers or totally disconnected from the team : all they care about is showing stellar JIRA metrics of their team in hunger for promotions; some mangers have been parachuted in because of a close XYZ of some LMN higher up in the company.
    -Many employees in the Toronto office have been hired from the backdoor. People involved actively in the technical recruitment of people for Toronto , office used to talk about managers messaging them just prior to technical interview asking to clear the candidate even if he is not technically astute. That explains why this place suffers from serious tech deficit when it comes to talent pool.
    -Managers shield employees who are underperforming although repeatedly being brought to their attention ; because some managers like sycophants in their teams.
    -The attrition rate in Toronto office is quite high ; in the last 2 months more than 4 employees from a Toronto team which was just 10 folks in size just accepted other opportunities and quit Ultimate Software. Writing on the wall which manager fails to see ; this manager should look into switching his career line (should be read with sarcasm).
    -Managers like to take personal favours from their subordinates. I have experienced this first hand.

Advice to Management

Your perception survey is not true indicator of employee satisfaction. You need to be smart to read people and understand where the true talent in the company is. People who talk of ULTI family at work ; but do not do IOTA of work are not going to drive your business.
     Free Monday pizza does not do the tricks for you.
    Get your act together ; or you will soon be a weakling in the HCM space.

"This company is a Hamster wheel for your career. Stay AWAY!"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Ultimate Software full-time

Pros

Convenient office location.
    Free soda and snacks in the office.

Cons

This place is a hamster wheel for your career.
    -You will feel you are in the best company because of their Culture BS talks ; truth being South Florida does not have the same opportunities as New York , San Fran or any other big cities. This leaves with people no option but to stick for long with Ultimate in South Florida. Do not be fooled when they tell you having people working for 20 years ; it's not because of anything special with Ultimate ; it's because of the geography.
    -Very political office in Toronto.
    -Inefficient HR and poor software engineering managers in Toronto . Toronto MANAGERS ASK FOR PERSONAL FAVORS, I can second that as mentioned by someone else in their review.
    -Young inexperienced coworkers in Toronto office.
    -No internal promotions, instead contacts of senior management hired from outside to fill in vacant managerial positions in Toronto . The deserving employees brushed aside when it comes to managerial promotion and work recognition.
    -The Toronto office is hungry for talent and will hire incompetent people in desperation. This makes other efficient workers suffer.

Advice to Management

Any advice given to management has and will fall on deaf ears. They live in a world of their own and don't want employees to speak up their concerns.

4. "System Consultant"

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time

Pros

Great company culture, great benefits, amazing team

Cons

None so far, keep up the amazing work

5. "Best Company Ever"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Really nice working environment both mentally and physically. It's like a big family.
    2. Work life balance is good. You normally don't feel stressful.
    3. Working from home and of course -- Unlimited Paid Time Off.
    4. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow, although it also depends on the team.

Cons

Not all managers are good

6. "System consultant"

Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Vancouver, BC

Pros

Freedom to innovate and excel

Cons

None that I can think of

"Best company to work for"

Current Employee - Desktop Technician in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Desktop Technician in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is focused on getting their work done. I have worked at IBM and Apple, this company could teach both companies about customer service and employee retention

Cons

I wish they found me sooner

Advice to Management

The coach does not score the goals. The managers know the employees were hired because they know their job. The managers remove barriers to the employee meeting their goals

8. "Work-Life Balance with lots of flexibility!"

Current Employee - Instructor in West Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Instructor in West Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Ultimate Software part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started as a full-time employee but soon realized that I was not going to be able to meet the demands of my job. My manager was very receptive to finding us a mutual solution and offered me part-time with lots of flexibility! I'm also still eligible for a portion of my quarterly bonus.

Cons

When I switched from full-time to part-time status, I had to take a 25% cut in my pay rate even though I am still performing the same job. I also lots all of my benefits even though I'm working between 20-25 hours per week. It would be nice to have the option of half of my benefits since I'm still contributing to the team.

9. "Product Manager"

I worked at Ultimate Software full-time

Pros

Great benefits, strong company culture, good vision for the HR space.

Cons

Slow product execution complicated by conflicting priorities.

"Great place to work for!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging and interesting work, great environment, good benefits, awesome teams to work with. It feels like you're surrounded by family, everyone works together towards common goals!

Cons

None that I've seen so far. Everyone works together to make this a better place every day. Suggestions are welcome.