Ulta Beauty "beauty" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Ulta Beauty Employee Reviews about "beauty"

Updated Sep 21, 2019

Found 4619 reviews

3.2
Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon
1,897 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management was a nightmare(in 172 reviews)

• "Prestige beauty advisors cannot do makeup applications(in 167 reviews)

Reviews about "beauty"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "good first job but could improve"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible schedule, 25% discount and customers were really nice and friendly

Cons

although it was fun and nice to help customers out, it was very over whelming to answer customers questions and watch the register at the same time, My ulta was a bit small compared to other locations so typically it would only be me and my manager working a closing shift. i was hired as a beauty advisor yet i was working register and talking/helping customers in mass and prestige but not getting paid for doing... prestige work. My manager would complain that i was never to be found and should’ve been at the register but it’s nearly impossible to help customers on the opposite side of store and watch the register at the same time because i can’t just tell customers “sorry can’t help i have to watch the register” if no one else is on the floor to help. also, the whole credit card thing is stupid. you can’t force people to sign up for a credit card so it shouldn’t count against you.

Advice to Management

please be more lenient on the credit card sign ups it’s not our faults that most customers already have 5 credit cards and don’t want another.

Ulta Beauty2019-06-26

"I honestly love Ulta"

Current Employee - Prestige Beauty Advisor in Bay Shore, NY

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers Great training and education on products Flexible schedule Gratis and employee discount Fun work environment Meeting brand reps is a lot of fun Great benefits Competitive pay

Cons

Unclear on how to move up in the company. Prestige beauty advisors cannot do makeup applications Not enough payroll

Advice to Management

I personally think that all employees should have the opportunity to be trained and moved up to prestige. Even if they don’t become prestige beauty advisors, I think beauty advisors could contribute to getting people to buy prestige products over mass cosmetics since they can suggest higher end alternatives and have the product knowledge behind it to justify it. I also think that it is overwhelming for 1 person to... help customers and make sure everything is up to the standards Ulta sets. It’s understandable to think that each person can clean and help section by section and teamwork could be used between the shifts, but oftentimes you can get caught up helping customers and never getting around to doing the little things that make a huge difference between neat and sloppy.

Ulta Beauty2019-05-23
  3. "Best Customer Service Job I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Lead Cashier

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Friendly managers - Responsibilities are well outlined

Cons

- Shifts can be really long (only as lead cashier, beauty adviser positions are alright)

Advice to Management

If management cares then so will the staff below them

Ulta Beauty2019-05-04
  4. "Ok if only looking for a part time job, not a good company to stick with long term"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Patchogue, NY

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you love makeup, it's a fun environment Easy

Cons

Hours cut depending on how while corporate feels the company is doing, if they don't sell enough product they cut hours without warning so they won't have to pay, corporate really doesn't care about employees at all and prestige is treated like they are above regular beauty advisors. The store is also extremely wasteful in throwing out cardboard, plastic, and packaging and leaving lights on 24/7, terrible for the... environment.

Advice to Management

Give raises and stop cutting hours

Ulta Beauty2019-05-02
  5. "Great environment"

Current Employee - Lead Beauty Advisor in Humble, TX

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

I was given the lead position within 4 months of getting my job. They saw my potential and gave it to me. They worked with my school schedule still giving me adequate hours. All of my coworkers helped one another.

Cons

They give you hours according to how well you perform, not caring that people sometimes have bad days. That is not referring to myself I had my solid hours but for the other beauty advisors they really struggled with that

Ulta Beauty2019-04-13
  6. "Ulta Needs Some Work"

Current Employee - Lancôme Beauty Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

A fun environment, and you’re constantly learning new things about products and brands.

Cons

Ulta basis their hours given to employees off their sells. Even in a high volume store there aren’t enough hours given so a guest is ALWAYS griping about how they’re not being assisted. It’s truly not the stores fault. The company is getting over on boutiques because their hours are separate from the Ulta given ones and are to be used to solely focus on the sells and progression of that particular boutique. They’re... not supposed to be the “backup” for Prestige Beauty Advisors. Boutique Leads receive ZERO commissions. Ulta’s pay scale is rather atrocious based on other beauty brand stores.

Advice to Management

Stop being cheap, and give these stores enough hours to fully handle the steady stream of business that’s coming in. Implement a bonus or commission based pay for your boutiques. It’s not right that they are out there on the sells floor pushing and cultivating their brands, but also have to do the same for other brands without compensation. Meanwhile management receives bonuses for the hard work.

Ulta Beauty2019-04-23
  7. "Too Much Pressure"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

Great industry, can make great connections

Cons

As a beauty adviser not getting paid too much, they put too much pressure on their employees. "Make sure every customer is part of the loyalty program or what we cut your hours." It's absolutely ridiculous and is a main reason why I quit in the first place.

Ulta Beauty2019-04-03
  8. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor/Cashier in Massapequa Park, NY

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Zero pros working at this Ulta

Cons

Working there was like being in mean girls and I was Lindsey Lohan lol but honestly It was so cliquey, I felt so uncomfortable. One day the girls would be friendly with me the next day they wouldn’t even look at me or say hello. This was worst job I’ve had in my experience. Most girls have no knowledge in beauty and skincare but because they look a certain way they got what they wanted as well as treated better. I... am certified but they put me on register.. Us minorities were pretty much invisible. I worked at the one in Massapequa park, Long Island. Oh they also called me in to fire me when I had no car which they knew. I took a taxi to work to get fired, had to call one 5 min later crying to go home. Their reasoning is why I hate this place so much. There is a policy where when you leave you must have your bag checked. I worked a 4am shift to stock shelves, before I left I TOLD the manager at the time I was leaving and she gave me the clear to go.. the next day I come in for my shift and got fired for this reason. I’ve never been fired before Im an amazing worker and I think this place is just racist and unreasonable. I never made a mistake before this.. I don’t even feel comfortable shopping there anymore.

Advice to Management

Management is terrible. I have no respect for this stores employees honestly. Love Ulta. Just not the massapequa location. No wonder why they are always hiring..

Ulta Beauty2019-05-03
  9. "Meh"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Springfield, PA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

25% discount on products working with customers & meeting their needs love my coworkers!

Cons

Failure of corporate to fairly allot hours to each store which translates to the failure of managment to correctly budget scheduled hours leading to same day shift cuts, sometimes cancelling employee shifts AFTER they arrive to work Ulta’s attendance policy is abhorrent. If an employee is scheduled to work a shift and becomes ill, gets into a car accident, has to take their infant to the ER with a fever of 105... and therefore is unable to work their scheduled shift the employee is penalized for it. This is not an exaggeration. Employee absences won’t be excused even if you were hospitalized and can provide documentation. Beauty Advisors primary task is to aggressively push customers to apply for the Ulta store credit card with a minimum requirement of 3 applications per shift or more depending on the store credit card goal for the day. This would be fine if the burden of signing up customers was shared by all employees including managment, prestige, & guest service coordinators who work in the salon. But it is not. Instead, Beauty Advisors are solely held responsible for meeting the entirety of the store daily credit goal. At my location Beauty Advisors assigned to register are often the only person checking customers out for hours. It is completely standard for me to be ringing out two different customers on two different registers with a line of 6 or more people still waiting. Firstly this is a bad business practice because the customers become impatient and secondly this is unfair to Beauty Advisors who are the ones being over-exerted and trying their best and then are meet with customers who are understandably annoyed with the wait especially when they can see other employees working in the store but aren’t helping at the cashwrap. While I understand that not every employee is trained to provide cashwrap support, the customers don’t know this and thus makes Ulta appear mismanaged and employees lazy when in reality this perception could easily be diminished with proper scheduling of more than one cashier.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to scheduling opportunities. Correctly allot gratis to employees as per company policy. Challenge Ulta’s attendance policies to your superiors and in the corporate office when appropriate.

Ulta Beauty2019-04-10
  10. "Bad Management"

Former Employee - Cashier in Clovis, CA

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

you do get 25% off everything in the store.

Cons

They try to hire cashiers then send them to sales floor to make a sale but won't give them commission because their title is not Beauty Adviser. That's crap! If you make the sale you should get the commission!

Ulta Beauty2019-03-23