Ubisoft "french" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Ubisoft Employee Reviews about "french"

Updated Jan 22, 2020

3.9
Pros
Cons
  • "Pretty low salary but acceptable(in 101 reviews)

• "Management remains mainly French - locals tend to get bypassed in management/leadership roles unless you get into their clique(in 57 reviews)

Reviews about "french"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Ubisoft, good work life balance"

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Very good work life balance for family

Cons

- Advantage to speak french and english

Ubisoft2018-06-01
  2. "Not for me."

Former Employee - Programmer in Montreal, QC

I worked at Ubisoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are friendly. They are always ready to help. They like to teach juniors various stuff about game dev or dev in general. Montreal studio is diverse and multicultural. This is one of the big game studio in Montreal where you're not expected to do (unpaid) overtime. Looks good on a CV because of the brand name I guess.

Cons

There's lots of cons. Enough so that the Pros were not a reason to stay at that company. This is not the place if you're ambitious and want to progress quickly in your career. This is also definitely not the place if you want to get promoted quickly and get raises. Even with a perfect performance evaluation you're lucky if they raise your salary by 5%. That's almost insulting. Some people seem to get promoted because they're friend or agreeable with management Management is outdated. Most of the management are French guys (from France) in their late 40's and they don't have a clue anymore about what games should be. There's favouritism towards employees from France. For some reasons I always felt they are treated better and more respected. I've seen stellar programmers from other countries and they don't have the same status as their French coworkers. A lot of people, especially youngest employees, care more about being in a "somewhat cool" company with a big brand name than producing quality code and games. The studio is huge, so a lot of people actually do nothing. I feel that the average employee production is absolutely terrible. Easy tasks can take them days. No effort are made to change some of the 12 years old base code witch is becoming more and more buggy and impossible to work with. I feel the company prefer to hire bunch of people and keep the raises and salaries low instead of having a small amount of very good engineers. I am probably not alone to have this feeling since a lot of people are leaving the studio for better opportunities and they would probably agree with me on some points I explained above.

Advice to Management

I am talking about the Mtl studio management : Maybe it's time to take a break. You should get new management, more diversified (not just French guys please!!!). Value more skills and competence than hype and friendship.

Ubisoft2020-01-22
  3. "Amazing culture, games & tech - low salary"

Current Employee - Gameplay Programmer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Amazingly passionate team members and super talented people - it's just so lovely to go to work everyday and hang out with the some of the coolest people in the world - Relaxed atmosphere - unlike other AAA studios the pressure isn't as high - So many different IPs and projects to choose from - once one project is over, you can move to tens of other brands if you choose - Lots of events, happy hours, parties, hangouts, lunches, talks, presentations, lots of information sharing, lots of skill development

Cons

- Salary is quite low compared to other AAA studios - Benefits aren't as good as compared to other AAA studios - Being a member of close to 4000 employees, it's not easy to grow in your career or rise in your rank - Ubisoft doesn't really care about keeping its employees - they know new employees will keep applying so it doesn't do much to retain current ones - Sessions are sometimes in French which is a bit annoying since this is an international company, there are many international employees here. And it's not that we're not trying to learn it - but it takes time and we miss a lot of important things sometimes

Advice to Management

The concept of "levels" is a bit strange and not transparent, also 5 levels all the way to CEO is too less of a division. Spend a bit more on your employees, give them coffee, increase their salary, and provide recognition for employees who perform well.

Ubisoft2019-09-29

"Good place to work and learn, not for the long term"

Former Employee - Senior Backend Developer in Montreal, QC

I worked at Ubisoft full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Awesome projects on AAA titles Get to face good technical challenges and gain good experience Flexible work hours On-site gym and clinic

Cons

Management practices/procedures end up creating silos, knowledge sharing should be encourage more. Pay is not competitive, specially if you gain seniority and experience pay lags. There’s a “French glass ceiling”, I managed to be proficient in French in my first years, reviews with flying colours, I was on lead of several initiatives in my previous team over the years, but promotions are hard to obtain since non native are often regarded good as leaders in several groups. It’s a more open culture if you manage to work on teams under anglophone management.

Advice to Management

Review practices and salaries to improve employee retention over time and not get poached

Ubisoft2019-04-25

"Good place to start, bad place to continue"

Current Employee - Production in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

- You get to learn a ton of new things and its a great out of-school place to grow but you'll need to be an specific demographic to thrive inside the company - You will be part of AAA titles right from the start

Cons

- Unless you speak native french you won't make it far - Takes forever to adapt new technologies - They are cheap, like not even free coffee cheap - Only top tier employees (The Frenchlite) get real benefits

Advice to Management

Focus more on keeping employees and developing, rather than getting external people, RAISE THE SALARIES!

Ubisoft2019-02-12

"Generalist programmer"

Current Employee - Generalist Programmer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good tech, employee has a lot of opportunities to learn a lot

Cons

French company, hard to integrate as non-French speaker. Salary not as competitive

Advice to Management

Depending on the projects, there are some crappy managers.

Ubisoft2017-10-19
  7. "Ubisoft"

Former Employee - Programmer in Montreal, QC

I worked at Ubisoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great workplace and culture

Cons

Not knowing french might hurt you

Ubisoft2017-10-20
  8. "Worst management ever"

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time

Pros

- famous in Montréal - Video game industrie

Cons

- French management - Salary - Politcs everywhere

Ubisoft2017-03-07

"Lack of room for growth"

Technical Director in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Ubisoft

Pros

Friendly environment. Work and life well balanced.

Cons

Lack of room for growth once past certain point, especially for non-French speakers.

Ubisoft2016-11-30

"Work hard... And don't get rewarded."

I have been working at Ubisoft

Pros

Work on AAA games. Good bonuses if the project gets any.

Cons

Horrible offices (coffee leaking through the floors, very noisy). All the negatives that come from a huge company (no one knows you, changes are hard to make, etc.). Extremely hard to get anywhere in your career if you're not friends with those that have seniority. French management is out of touch with the gaming industry. Horrible overtime hours during crunch (not compensated).

Ubisoft2016-01-07