Cover image for Ubisoft

3.8
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot
Yves Guillemot
1,813 Ratings
Pros
  • "Multi-cultural work environment(in 261 reviews)

• "good place to learn a lot of stuff(in 36 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Low salary for the amount of work expected to carry out(in 188 reviews)

• "Work can get boring, work life balance(in 35 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Ubisoft and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Programmer

Jan. 20, 2023 - Online Programmer in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company is a well-known and successful game development studio, with many popular franchises such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six. Ubisoft offers a creative and collaborative work environment, with opportunities for employees to work on a variety of projects and to contribute to the development of new ideas. The company has a strong emphasis on diversity and inclusion, with a number of initiatives in place to support and promote diversity in the workplace. Ubisoft offers a range of benefits to employees, including health insurance, retirement savings plans, and paid time off. The company has a number of locations around the world, offering employees the opportunity to work in different countries and cultures.

Cons

The company is known for its demanding work schedule, with long hours and tight deadlines common in the game development industry. Some employees have reported issues with management and a lack of communication within the company. The company has faced criticism and controversy over its treatment of employees, particularly with regards to working conditions and crunch time. Some employees may find the pace of work and the constant need to adapt to new technologies and trends to be challenging. The company has a strong emphasis on expanding its business, this may lead to a change in strategies, which may affect the job stability and security of some employees.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company with opportunities

Jan. 31, 2023 - UI Programmer in Quebec, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- It's easy to create ourselves opportunities in Ubisoft and evolve in our career - Nice company culture with a lot of events and stuff that makes working actually fun - Good salary overall even if not amongst the best ones on the market - Since the scandals that took place a few years ago, Ubisoft really worked on making the company being a good and inclusive place

Cons

- Project managements seem to be unaware of what actually happens on the field and sometimes their decisions seems to make no sense

1 person found this review helpful
    3. Join the Ubisoft team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 4.0

Great People

Jan. 30, 2023 - UI Programmer in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Job Security, Highly Experienced Peers, Great Atmosphere

Cons

Indecisive Management, Long Processes, Questionable Directives

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good working conditions, average salary

Jan. 26, 2023 - Senior Online Programmer in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good working environment - Good work/life balance - Managers are close with their team and are always available - Beautiful office situated in a trendy neighborhood

Cons

- Average or slightly below average salaries - Somewhat negative company image - Profit-driven decisions taken by top management, which clashes with a creative domain like video games

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people, good work life balance, low salary

Jan. 25, 2023 - User Researcher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people Fun work Good hours / work life balance

Cons

Low salary compared to other companies in this industry - some of my colleague are overworked but not in my direct team

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Cheap and asks for a lot

Feb. 3, 2023 - UI Programmer in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

After transitioning over from the tech industry this was my first job in the games industry. They offered me a level 2 position and allowed me to spend some time upfront learning the ropes. Some of the benefits were also pretty good, particularly 6 weeks of vacation, an onsite medical clinic, and personal trainers at the company gym. And I guess it's a plus that I was never asked to crunch (live game).

Cons

The technical onboarding consists of being sent a giant folder of links to documentation that is old and often wrong. Finding the right way to run the development environment and debug Ubisoft's internal tools was challenging, and since I didn't come in as a level 1, at some point their patience abruptly ran out. Apparently a learning curve is not tolerated if it's not your first job out of university. I eventually did find a solid rhythm for completing tasks, but I was frequently criticized by my manager for asking questions (not "help I don't know anything solve this for me" questions, more like "I've diagnosed the issue and found a potential solution, but I'd like your opinion on my approach before wasting time implementing code that will get rejected in review" questions). So I was submitting quality code that was OK'd quickly by fellow programmers, but put on my manager's shitlist because I wasn't enough of a lone wolf. It's the total opposite of most work environments I've been in, very weird. I have to add that on top of this frustrating work experience, the compensation was below industry standard (although better than before for new hires it seems), and the company tended to have a cheap attitude about many things, compared to other companies where I've worked. Expect to pay yourself for things that you might have expected to be covered at other jobs (coffee, cutlery, transportation to special company events). Also expect regular ads in your work email for you to buy stuff from your employer, like you're a customer, not an employee.

8. 4.0

Good company

Jan. 18, 2023 - Online Programmer in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great workspace and nice people.

Cons

Pay is above average and a lot of management

9. 4.0
      Current Employee

Overall Good

Jan. 18, 2023 - Art Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work hours, no crunch, great for people with families

Cons

Not the highest paying studio, projects sometimes not well organized or uninteresting

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good challenges

Jan. 12, 2023 - Live Producer
      Business Outlook

Pros

bottom-up structure where everyone can contribute to what to do best. Decent compensation.

Cons

Office politics often is the primary decision maker and driver for career promotions.

11. 5.0

Kind of awesome

Jan. 10, 2023 - Project Manager in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great projects, great folks, lots of liberty to find value

Cons

The first year is really challenging, it's not a "clear" company. It's not for everyone.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,968 Reviews
    </>Embed

Ubisoft Reviews FAQs

Ubisoft has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 4,193 reviews left anonymously by employees. 79% of employees would recommend working at Ubisoft to a friend and 61% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Ubisoft employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Ubisoft. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

79% of Ubisoft employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Ubisoft 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Ubisoft Job Seekers