Uber "riders" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Uber Employee Reviews about "riders"

Updated Jan 12, 2020

3.8
Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi
2,384 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "Sometimes the app doesn't take me to the right location to pick up the riders(in 382 reviews)

• "Wear and tear on POV gets expensive(in 334 reviews)

Reviews about "riders"

Return to all Reviews

"Awesome ship for awesome engineers"

Software Engineer

I have been working at Uber for less than a year

Pros

Uber is growing really really really fast. Seriously, you'll see the hockey stick growth everywhere, number of riders/drivers, number of new employees, number of money we make etc. This is also a really fun and cool place for Software Engineers. Compare to big companies, Uber is still very small. Each team is extremely small. There are so many problems we want to solve. My peers are extremely talented no matter how many years experience you have. Uber engineers focus on our mission, and execute it in a very efficient matter. Comparing to other startups, Uber is still moving extremely fast. Once you join, you'll see what kind of challenges we have. This is not just a feature. You'll have an impact! Also, you have a very friendly culture. At the end of day, I am solving a very interesting problem for millions of riders or drivers or even merchants. Everyone helps each other and learn from each other. By the way, saying is easier than doing. I've seen it in other companies. We also have very interesting tech talks. Again, you'll fee the scale of the impact you can make as a Uber engineer.

Cons

Lunch cartering could be better

Advice to Management

Keep the unique culture. Keep the hiring bar high.

Uber2015-08-21
  2. "not a good job"

Former Freelancer - Driver in Brampton, ON

I worked at Uber for more than 3 years

Pros

flexibility, no boss but riders are boss

Cons

rating system,,,,as uber drivers r not employee of uber ,do hey have right to ask ratings for drivers who r not employees of uber,,,,,,nasty riders,,,,

Advice to Management

zero

Uber2020-01-12
  3. "flexible, low pay, unappreciated"

Former Contractor - Uber Driver in Calgary, AB

I worked at Uber for less than a year

Pros

flexibility of work schedule and where to drive

Cons

too many drivers, often short trips, low pay, almost no passengers give tips, calculates to below minimum wage, unappreciative riders, some riders rate very harshly and unfairly, most riders who rate at all rate negatively, sometimes lots of driving around with no trips for up to an hour or more, unreasonable expectations to keep a rating above 4.6 or be "fired", support is often mediocre and / or they give form letter replies that don't make sense or answer the question or issue, phone support is not local, expensive costs (gas, cleaning, car inspections, abstract, higher insurance cost, class 4 drivers licence), expensive and nitpicky drivers licence road test. Uber seems to favour the passengers far above the drivers. Uber changed the fees to a flat fee, which does not allow for traffic or extra time to get into a high volume venue (such as a hockey game or concert), so the driver has to waste time and gas on sometimes short trips and not be compensated for their extra cost and time

Advice to Management

increase pay rate, limit drivers allowed to drive at the same time, value drivers more

Uber2019-12-14

"Unfair labor practice"

Current Employee - Driver in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Uber part-time for less than a year

Pros

People think you earn a lot in uber, but NO. Unless you get long trip, or complete uber pool, you may earn a bit more. Most of the time, the money you earn from long trips will end up in your gas, bec you cant get a rider back.

Cons

GPS sucks, always wrong PU pt. Makes u go around in circles, riders get upset. D rating sys s unfair. U get so many 5-star, pts only inc a little, get 1-2 1-star rating & ur pts go down by 11 pts. Riders can choose to r8 u, chnge the rating or rate u aftr a few days. Drivers cant go on with d app unless they r8 riders.

Advice to Management

Upgrade ur app. Sometimes it goes offlyn in the middle or trip. Or takes time to load. Chnge the rating system that is fair for drivers too. I got almost 150 riders and my ratings are only 90. Almost half did not care to rate then they deactivate your acct.

Uber2019-08-10
  5. "Uber experience (part-time doable)"

Former Employee - Driver

I worked at Uber full-time

Pros

Flexible hours You are the boss Sign in or out whenever u want Get to Know the city explore

Cons

Not many orders/riders Way too many drivers on the road Way too much traffic Rush hour gets even crazier Longer rides less pay not worth it Express Pool very unsafe and confusing Most pickup points and dropoff address are at non stopping zones or passenger standing right on the bicycle lane Travelling far? Good but alone on your back; bad!

Advice to Management

Government regulation on number of vehicles and pricing.

Uber2019-07-23

"Terrible company to work for"

Former Freelancer - Driver in Toronto, ON

I worked at Uber for less than a year

Pros

Work for yourself at your pace

Cons

Deal with rude customer. Uber has no idea or respect to their partners. They listen to customers more than they use their common sense. Municipalities should say no to Uber as it is putting drivers and riders at a huge safety risk.

Advice to Management

Management only listens to riders and only protecting their bottom lines and do not use their common sense or even try to listen to their partners. Very bad.

Uber2019-04-16

"Driver"

Current Freelancer - Driver in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Uber for more than a year

Pros

meet good community mechanics drive 10-15 minutes away for a 2 min destination for Uber eats

Cons

Pick up time to pick up rider is not accurate .example; accept a rider who is 4 minutes away just to be listed in the gps as being 7 minutes away. Documents have been lost on app making it easier for me loss time driving. 10-15 dollars an hour.

Advice to Management

Fix technology of Uber app and correctly pay driver as recommended by Ubers own terms of service. charge less for riders and increase the amount of content drivers/work life balance. Charging less for riders increases work/life balance for drivers.

Uber2018-11-21

"Thieves"

Current Contractor - Uber Driver in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Uber for more than 3 years

Pros

There are no pros with these guys. Stay away

Cons

They will underpay you constantly and then respond with pre written responses when you ask for a fare review. They will deactivate you based on false claims by riders even when they know and admit it is a false claim.

Advice to Management

Resign

Uber2018-09-30

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Expert in Toronto, ON

I worked at Uber full-time for more than a year

Pros

The health/dental/vision benefits are good. Uber credits are a plus.

Cons

Too many overnight operational changes, Experts (on the frontlines) receive information on these changes too last minute with barely any explanation or instructions on how to deliver these changes. Upper management/operations unfortunately like to hide behind their computers and expect the underpaid Experts to take all the heat. Management does not care about employees, too cheap to spend on things that miiight make for a better workplace environment. Managers often talk to employees the same way they talk to drivers, making them believe what they are doing/subject to is normal. For tri-weekly meetings, you are required to stay after work hours and are NOT PAID for 30min to 1hr gaps between working hours and meeting. There are MANY features of the operation that are marketed as beneficial to the driver however they only benefit the rider (upfront pricing). Managers are too focused on their bougie lifestyles and don't care for the people working for them. The role of an Expert is something I would not wish upon my worst enemy. Only reason I rated 2-stars is because of the benefits. They're good but not good enough to keep me in a job that will send me to the madhouse.

Advice to Management

Get on the floor more often, listen to your employees, listen to your DRIVERS and cut the divide between Experts and Management/Operations.

Uber2017-12-23

"Love driving"

Current Freelancer - Uber Driver in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Uber for less than a year

Pros

I love driving and love the platform connecting drivers with riders

Cons

. ..my only complaint is that it should pay more... drivers should be guaranteed $30-40 per hour.

Uber2017-07-23