USAA Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 1, 2021

Found 478 of over 4,825 reviews

3.7
USAA CEO Wayne Peacock
Wayne Peacock
Pros
  • "Great benefits & supportive company culture(in 759 reviews)

• "USAA is a great company to work for(in 381 reviews)

• Cons
  • "USAA has talented engineers but I'd say the majority are just getting by skill-wise(in 410 reviews)

• "lost of work which might impact work life balance(in 153 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about USAA

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Great company, Great Benefits, Great Culture

Jul 9, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

USAA is one of the best employers in the world. You can work here your entire career and retire nicely with the benefits. - best retirement benefits (3% pension + 8% match to 4% contribution … yeah you read that right). - great pay and bonus structure - great work/life balance

Cons

The tech side can feel slow paced compared to the industry. USAA allows you to dive deep on your technology, but not wide enough to have a lot of context on the entire tech stack. Pay is great but lagging in the industry. USAA is pretty good about keeping up with this though.

20 people found this review helpful

USAA Response

Thank you for your feedback. USAA takes pride in our core values of Service, Honesty, Loyalty and Integrity. We continue to invest resources and time to explore how we can ensure our employees are satisfied with their jobs and benefits. Technology: In the fast-paced technology race, we continue to examine new capabilities and investments in tech that will improve employee and member experiences. Pay Structures: HR does an annual compensation competitive market analysis for all jobs to ensure our compensation ranges are competitive in the market which allows us to attract and retain diverse talent. Thank you for all that you do.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

USAA is a great company with excellent benefits and work/life balance

Nov 30, 2021 - Quantitative Risk Analyst in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work/life balance, mission-driven company, good people

Cons

Upward mobility, career development, potential for career stagnation

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

New Member Solutions Specialist

Nov 29, 2021 - New Member Solutions Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance, Choose how you want your break time Choose over 52 shift schedule combinations. Every employee gets a holiday bonus(December), plus a huge annual employee bonus (February)

Cons

Depends on how leadership may treat you. However, just experience it for yourself, by applying & make your judgment then when hired. If you don't look to promote, leadership may look at you differently.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Chief Financial Office = Dumpster fire

Dec 1, 2021 - Business Risk and Controls Advisor in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great amenities and home office. Somewhat OK work-life balance depending on the role you land. If you are in CFO its a dumpster fire. Do not expect a work life balance if you do not make it your intent to have one by having boundaries. Set up boundaries or you will be working late.

Cons

Overachievers overcomplicating simple tasks and micromanaging. The company offers a pension that has a APY of 3%. Thats a little more than a bank account. Go chase after 15% yields on your own. 3% is not a benefit to tout. Avoid the CFO office that has about 1200-1500 people approx. Its a cluster everywhere and for the folks that don't have a dumpster fire, they hide the fact they don't so as to not have work piled on them.

6 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic company

Nov 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance Understanding management Great benefits

Cons

Less interesting work Lots of red tape

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great company with a great mission.

Nov 19, 2021 - Quality Assurance Specialist in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company with a great mission.

Cons

Depending on the department you work in, work life balance can be difficult.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Couldn't make it to 10 years

Nov 27, 2021 - Bodily Injury Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

I always had great, compassionate managers who helped me develop into a better employee. The amount of PTO is great with the option the purchase more. The work/life balance is good for those who refuse to work more than 40 hours and good for those who choose to work overtime for more money. (Claims adjusters are paid an hourly rate.)

Cons

Everything started going downhill over the last 2 years. It's pathetic to say but a pandemic made everything tolerable until the phone volume skyrocketed back up again because of mismanagement in our non-injury department. Our annual bonus was going down at an alarming rate and I saw myself make less and less money each year. They restructured it but I was still making less money than my peers who went to different companies. I also saw my peers fail to move out of claims; claims is like a cult and they don't seem to want to let their valuable, underpaid claims adjusters pursue careers in other departments. The benefits used to be amazing: I was hired in when the bonus used to be 18-19%, an education credit card given instead of reimbursement, etc. Watching the c-suite be slow to action as employees were leaving and then changing benefits to be "competitive" when they really just made it clear we were no longer the same company proud to support our military members and their families made me realize it wasn't worth staying. That's on top of an intranet advice article recommending employees get a second job to make more money and seeing my social security tax being added to our "total rewards" (that's what they call the benefits, retirement & salary package) really pissed me off.

5 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good experience so far

Nov 17, 2021 - Risk Analyst in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great work/life balance - Great PTO

Cons

- Have heard work/life balance heavily depends on your team

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great!

Nov 14, 2021 - Data Engineer in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance, good tech stack

Cons

None, other than maybe the downsides of slower moving corporate culture

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Nov 9, 2021 - Business Intelligence Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance great benefits

Cons

Getting internal pay raise is tough

Viewing 1 - 10 of 478 Reviews