USAA Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

USAA CEO Stuart Parker
Stuart Parker
1,062 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "The first year on the phones are the hardest if you do not have previous call center experience(in 341 reviews)

• "None this is honestly a career long employer and head and shoulders above working at other companies especially military contractors(in 115 reviews)

"Decent"

Current Employee - Senior Insurance Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with military is a plus Good pay Decent company Good values

Cons

Hard to get off the phones

USAA2019-09-16
  2. "Really great place to work."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Plano, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing corporate culture, very mission driven.

Cons

Maybe too slow to make decision.

3. "Call center"

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

Great benefits plenty of pto

Cons

No down time, little time between calls, difficult conversations

4. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

Fun people to work with. Great amenities with gyms, ping pong, intramural sports, etc. Very good work life balance.

Cons

Slow to adopt latest tech. Can focus too much on perfection and not moving forward.

5. "Excellent benefits"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great health insurance, maternity leave and 401k

Cons

Most positions are call center

USAA2019-09-17

"WM didn't work. Cutting it loose. Focus on core businesses"

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, most people, mission, employee-centric (treated as valuable), or and benefits.... competitive pay in most areas, but don't forget about the benefits.

Cons

Go along to get along. "Tell us what you think", but only if it supports what we've actually already decided and want it to seem as though you have a chance of being heard. Be sure you pick out friends who are moving into leadership early in your career. If you pick the right friends you have a chance of being promoted up the leadership chain as your friends become successful. Otherwise, always agree with upper... leaderships idea, smile and support them and bide your time until you are high enough to actually make a difference. Bitter much?

Advice to Management

Actually ask the front line employees...... the ones good at their jobs and show an interest in truly making positive change..... not just ones who agree with you.... before you come up with products, services or online tools and say "members told us this is what they want" consult employees on what they hear from members.... and what your employees think, too.

USAA2019-08-18

"I*** was not a good fit for the job"

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are amazing and very family friendly and there is always work to do.

Cons

Everything else- Mind you, I am not a very good corporate fit, however there was a lot of micro-managing, CONSISTENCY, CONSISTENCY, CONSISTENCY- Not being consistent? Bad month for you, maybe 2 or 3 months?? I had that. I was told I was unreliable and in order for me to meet the "USAA Standards" I had to over compensate for my end of the year performance evaluation in order to get my bonus. Also, if you're giving... the job 100%... you could give more- you could never be good enough- this made my morale plummet. In fact, speaking to individuals that left USAA for other work felt much the same. It is very much so a militant style management and corporation, should be expected I guess. However, like I said, as a creative, I felt suffocated. But others that I worked with, those that came from military backgrounds or similar just thrived! It was me, not USAA, it is TRULY a wonderful **COMPANY** **OVERALL**. I just wish I had more opportunity to be creative within USAA and growing the brand.

Advice to Management

Actually CEO and all board members, owners, etc.. PLEASE UNDERSTAND, Mr. CEO, you may be an EXCELLENT leader, keeps true to the core values of USAA, a true visionary... however, you MUST know, no matter how great your leadership may be, when you delegate, your vision and growth mindset, can be construed and warped differently with each tier of management. My only advice... be selective with those you choose to... lead. Some may not be ready or meant for it. My personal philosophy, if you have a GREAT manager, you will have a team willing and ready to provide GREAT results. Should you have other, you may get sub-par at best. I emphasized company, because overall, the ideas, are wonderful. Execution of those ideals needs work. During leaders training, break down each of USAA's core values, needs, training techniques, coaching styles, etc. so much so, that there is NO ROOM for it to be misunderstood or done differently etc. As you expect consistency from your employees, so should the average employee from their company to which they are employed. Adapting should only go so far. The expectations though should not have to change. You may say they don't, but until you're an undercover average employee being coached, you're not going to understand. I hope this helps.

USAA2019-09-04

"You can retire here, but it may be a long road"

Current Employee - Computer Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is its own world and a good one. work/life balance is good but watch out where you work for flexibility benefits are top in class the USAA brand is true to its values

Cons

-advancement could be years -becoming a big bank puts the culture in question -making management is still very old thinking; what college did you go to? who can I trade with this manager to get what I need, who do I know, tenure driven -parking is like socal, once you park...don't move!

Advice to Management

As the bonus slowly drops to the industry average of 10%, there needs to be new benefits that fill the gap coming. we already get great benefits, but many at USAA the salary is tied into the bonus. This will soon be a broke system.

USAA2019-08-31

"Great company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at USAA full-time

Pros

Everything was great

Cons

There was nothing bad there

USAA2019-09-07

"Mortgage Originations and compliance"

Former Employee - Business Risk and Governance Compliance Specialist III in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

As a bank employee: great place to work, outstanding employees, culture and pay above San Antonio's Market, 24 + days off

Cons

just try to stay away from the call center MSR type of job, unless is as a mortgage Loan Officer or processor

USAA2019-09-05