US Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

David Shulkin

2,965 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management needs an overhaul (in 64 reviews)

• Inferior wage scale compared to the private sector (in 61 reviews)

"Logistics"

Current Employee - Logistics
    Current Employee - Logistics

Pros

I came from the private sector where it is all about fattening someone's pockets while you work work work. I'll never go back to that. This job is fulfilling because you get to help our nation's hero's. Nothing can compete with this vacation policy, I have more time off than I'll ever use. If you enjoy helping others and not helping your CEO get his 4th vacation home, you'll like this place. Oh and the insurance and retirement are outstanding.

Cons

It is true about what you hear about Government employees. Just don't fall into that loop and you'll be happy. Don't let other peoples' negativity get you down, because when you look at these Veterans and realize what they went through, the piddly arguing goes out the window.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat.

US Department of Veterans Affairs Response

16 Jun, 2015 – Department of Veterans Affairs Employee

Thank you for sharing your experience! It is invaluable to hear directly from VA employees. I agree that the absolute best part of a career at VA is the ability to help our Nation’s Veterans, and I... More

2. "Police"

Current Employee - Police Officer in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Police Officer in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work schedule
    Easy at times
    Decent officers

The pay is good if you get in the right location with advancement opportunities.

Cons

Rotating between night work and day work every 30 days
    No moral
    No advancement for officer
    Sitting on Gates for numerous house

Advice to Management

Take better care of your officer and their issues equipment. Get a locker room, bathroom, anything to improve moral.

3. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping Veterans and those that served in the military is very rewarding. Making a difference in an individual case or a larger policy issue means better services for veterans. They deserve the best; employees work hard and are doing right.

Cons

Like any government entity -- bureaucracy and process can be slow and frustrating.

Advice to Management

Encourage creativity and ability to process actions with new approaches.

"Not For the Faint of Heart"

Current Employee - Hospital Corpsman in Great Lakes, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Hospital Corpsman in Great Lakes, IL (US)

Pros

It's a very diverse place to work. As long as you are willing to learn you are to excel. You are going to meet some colorful characters while you work here, but I promise there are some places that are really worth it.

Cons

You are going to meet some people that are going to drain you. Depending where you work you're going to want to pull your hair out with some of your coworkers.

Advice to Management

Listen to everyone; active duty and civilian. Officers are not the only people who have issues.

"Can't Imagine Going to Private Sector"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was extremely fortunate enough to be hired onto a day shift position right out of nursing school. I never imagined myself working in oncology, nonetheless working for the VA. Because I had heard rumors regarding government work and personal political values, I was hesitant to apply to the VA. A year in now, I can't ever see myself leaving. The pay is competitive and the benefits are AMAZING. I've come to love the veterans, and am extremely proud of what I do.

Cons

The cons of working for the government are how long everything takes. We're short-staffed, especially with CNAs and housekeepers, both of whom are vital to healthcare. We also run out of supplies often. We also need to make the switch to newer EMR programs.

Advice to Management

With the VA, it will always vary city to city, VA to VA. But in Portland, we're being pressured to take more patients while we're still trying to hire and train new nurses. It's causing a huge strain on current RN and CNA staff.

7. "Parking attended"

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good start for a person starting over

Cons

Do not stay, look for other work

8. "Orthopedic PA-C"

Former Employee - Orthopedic PA-C in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Orthopedic PA-C in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very limited call duty and are compensated for 2 hours even if task only required going into hospital for 15 minutes.

Cons

Leadership from administration lacks as it is primarily folks whom sit at their desk to problem solve.

Advice to Management

Drain the Administration swamp which is made up of registered nurses whom don't practice and likely never could on the floors

9. "PCT or phlebotomist"

Former Employee - PCT Or Phlebotomist in Bronx, NY (US)
    Former Employee - PCT Or Phlebotomist in Bronx, NY (US)

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My experience and my enthusiasm for a team also brings the great job

Cons

If you’re giving me the opportunity to get this job, I’m boosting the team

Advice to Management

I’m a good working man and very excellent and nice person they are not going to regret .

10. "Working at the VA"

Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in Columbia, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in Columbia, SC (US)

Pros

Since I'm a veteran working here it gives me an opportunity to help other veterans, and also gives me satisfaction that the services I provided took care of the veterans needs.

Cons

In this position, we aren't paid enough to deal with the disrespectful, and irate veterans who call and think they know everything.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to hire more benefit counselors, or create more positions to allow seasoned employees advancement opportunities.

"HELPING VETERANS IS MY PASSION"

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working with Veterans. They are the best. I love being able to come to work every day and feel a purpose in my job and what I do.

Cons

Hard to get upward mobility when you are stuck in a certain GS level.

Showing 2,965 of 3,165 reviews