Twitch Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 11, 2020

Found 22 of over 414 reviews

4.0
Twitch CEO Emmett Shear (no image)
Emmett Shear
Pros
  • "Great perks and stimulating work if you're in the right department(in 21 reviews)

• "And the work/life balance is pretty good, people rarely work nights or weekends on my team at least(in 17 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Still some growing pains from being a growth focused startup to a more mature company(in 13 reviews)

• "Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Leaves much to be desired

Jun 2, 2020 - People Team in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are quite a few amazing perks: free lunch, massages, cool swag, etc. The office is fun and you have work life balance.

Cons

The company culture is ridiculous. The company doesn’t value diversity and the People team lacks direction. Promo process is a joke. Your ability to make an impact is severely limited to who you are best buddies with. The inclusivity group doesn’t seem to be backed by Emmett or the company (employees are left to fight the extremely narrow minded, racist and sexist Twitch trolls on their own). The company can’t keep good employees for an extended period of time and it shows. Literally the entire People team has overturned in the past few years. That says something when you can’t keep the people who are tasked with engagement.

18 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0

Awesome company

Nov 11, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Flower Mound, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Perks, work life balance, good product, market leader, smart people

Cons

Has grown a bit, things have slowed down, can be a bit political trying to get products done

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great coworker, dishonest managers.

Aug 12, 2020 - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome coworkers. Okay benefits. (Not the worst which is a good thing) Gamer culture. People get to respect your staff badge on Twitch

Cons

Dishonest managers, who only care about themselves. No work life balance, especially during COVID. Low pay, way below industry standards. You’re constantly left in the dark by managers. Don’t work here unless you’re an engineer.

9 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not sure where this company is headed

Nov 27, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Twitch is a known player in the industry- working here is like a little badge you get to flaunt. There are great perks, that's for sure. Unlimited PTO (depending on your manager), catered meals, snacks, gaming rooms, monthly massage slots, gym gets reimbursed, flexible work hours, holiday break, etc. The company seems to endorse work life balance at first glance. There are a lot of passionate, smart, and hardworking people at the IC level, reminds you what you're capable of doing every once in awhile- wish those people would get recognition more.

Cons

Leadership is a mess. Many are not in alignment with each other, and their lack of shared vision (which is a company value) trickles down and affects the people actually carrying out daily work. Leaders and those in managerial or positions of power are quick to blame their teams or other teams. Or they don't own up to their lack of management and leadership skills. Goals don't seem to match up between teams, or even within teams, which makes it confusing to get work done. People with lots of experience but no people or team building skills get promoted into management. Poor communication almost everywhere, makes for a really difficult and frustrating work environment. Almost makes me not have fun with gaming anymore because the work environment turns me off. Also, heard employees get away with unprofessional behavior/misconduct. HR and senior management should pay attention to those issues as well- not just productivity and minutes watched or whatever the next KPI is. I don't think the value and image of working at Twitch is worth dealing with the workplace.

17 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0

Pre vs Post Aquisition

Feb 19, 2017 - Partnerships in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work with like minded individuals that will push you to be a better worker. I consider everyone on my team to be my extended family. This also seems to be the mentality of most employees within the partnerships department. Access to a great benefits including a monthly gym membership, a monthly massage (sometimes more than once a month), and as many drinks/snacks you can have.

Cons

Compensation is exceptionally terrible for the Partnerships team. You would think that you would be more valued when taking care of broadcasters that keep the site up and running, but it doesn't look like this happens consistently. The work/life balance is sometimes non-existent. It's as if your job doesn't have an off switch at times, which would sting a little less if the compensation matched.

7 people found this review helpful

Twitch Response

Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely sharing with the exec team and will discuss further with them. If you want to reach out to me directly, please feel free to do so. - Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting

6. 5.0

Great place to work

Jul 20, 2015 - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic product, lots of upside with future growth. Company culture is great, everyone is genuine, friendly, and nice. Catered lunch and dinner every day, and breakfast a few days a week. Gorgeous offices, best equipment. Hard working environment, but there is work/life balance, if you want to work out middle of day, fine, just get your job done. Great for people who want to actually contribute to the company and feel they're participating in something real. Not great if you're a piker and want to clock-in/clock-out without being noticed. Really fun and invigorating place to work.

Cons

Some teams internally seem to operate in silos. But people complain about this and all you have to do is go meet with other teams. Take action to fix things you think are broken, don't sit back and complain.

5 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee

It's not just fun and games.

Aug 22, 2018 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Like so many others, I joined Twitch for Twitch - it's fun, semi-famous people use it, and I love video games, so why not? I've found Twitch is so much more though. It wasn't long before I started to like Twitch for new reasons - intelligent, excited teammates, great technology, and a culture of invention. I've found most people at Twitch to be super helpful and willing to pitch in for one another. I've had several opportunities to raise my hand and suggest something to build, and see it actually get built. I'm paid enough, benefits are solid, great perks like breakfast lunch and dinner in our new office, and work-life balance is pretty good, at least on my team. No complaints.

Cons

Seems some teams get a lot harder than others around TwitchCon, so that could be a downside I guess.

8 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Former Intern

Best Internship

Nov 3, 2017 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work on things which impact the customer really quickly. At the end of my first month I had features live on the site. Free meals every day on top of solid pay. There's also a lot of people into gaming, which is a pro if you're into that sort of thing.

Cons

Once every 1-2 months you were "on call" so if anything went wrong on the site that related to your team after hours, you had to fix it. But other than that, work-life balance was pretty good.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    9. 5.0

SO much still to do.

Sep 10, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

We've only scratched the surface of this esports phenomenon that's taking over the internet. Esports will be bigger than sports, and Twitch is the number one brand in that. Being part of that is awesome. As for actually working at Twitch - most people are smart and willing to help each other out. Office politics aren't really a thing as far as I can tell. If you work hard you'll be rewarded. I feel challenged, but not too much to be overworked. Good work-life balance.

Cons

There's a different perspective between new employees and people who have been at Twitch for a while. It could be a good thing with diverse perspectives paying off one another but sometimes it devolves into something more tribal.

3 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

Bigger and Better

Aug 24, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Twitch used to be this scrappy little startup where everybody did everything, Emmett was friendly and available, and everything moved fast (or so some would have you believe). Then Twitch got bigger, acquired by Amazon, and a bunch of people got upset about it and started complaining about “big company” problems. At this point, we’ve got strong execs, enough structure and stability to enjoy a healthy work-life balance, and a cool website to play with. Life’s good here.

Cons

Only real cons are the complainers. They’re mostly on their way out.

5 people found this review helpful