Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Twitch Reviews

Updated Oct 16, 2019

3.6
Twitch CEO Emmett Shear (no image)
Emmett Shear
Pros
  • "Great perks, free meals, free massages, unlimited vacation(in 17 reviews)

• "We have smart people here from all kinds of functions, universities, backgrounds(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are growing pains with every high-growth company, but the recent re-org and company vision seems to address these issues(in 12 reviews)

• "Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes(in 8 reviews)

"Great Place to Develop Talent"

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Agile, collaborative, lots of emojis and fun work environment.

Cons

With the fast-pace nature of work and business direction, sometimes engineering work is scrapped. This is just inherent to the nature of the job.

Advice to Management

Continue hiring great talent. Senior management can be out of touch.

Twitch2018-07-19

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Twitch is one of the 1st tier employers in the Bay Area. It's Number 1 in my opinion. It totally deserves 1 rating. 1. Every employees are provided with a headphone! It's allowed to listen to music at work, especially Pandora, since our new COO from Pandora brought so many old friends from that failing company. 2. There is no micromanagement from upper management. All middle and lower managers are given... freedom to do there work. When there are conflicts between teams, we are trusted to find solution by ourselves. Standoffs between teams are frequent. We are encourage to fight our way out. If we don't follow the rule and try to get the upper management involved, we would be ignored in the best case scenario, and berated in the worst. 3. Managers in different levels are given freedom to do there job. When we want to get rid of an employee, we can make up story and put them in the review without any issue. 4. Working in Twitch is a great learning experience for everyone. With years of experience in an environment with rampant politics, I am ready to start my career in politics. I could never do that in other companies. 5. Twitch is a subsidiary of Amazon but stays independent as a medium size company. It has the best of both worlds. For example, it has the Amazon promise-based compensation system. HR will tell you AMZN stock increase by about 17% a year. This is ingenious since this way employees feel like they are making more than they actually make and everyone is happier than they should be. 6. Twitch is a great place to make new friends! Team members are constantly quitting. Every year or two you are working with completely different people in your team! How wonderful it is.

Cons

Nothing I can think of right now.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Twitch2019-10-17
  3. "Cool place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Twitch full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice place, good benefits and health care program

Cons

Nothing to compalin so far

Twitch2019-08-23

"Utter failure"

I have been working at Twitch

Pros

Amzn RSUs. Free food. Everything else sucks.

Cons

Everything else. Coworkers are garbage. Leadership is clueless. Toxic idiots everywhere.

Advice to Management

Amazon should just shut this down.

Twitch2019-09-13

"So-so"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the people I worked with at the IC level. Everyone on the ground level was super passionate or talented. The opportunities at the beginning sounded great. During the middle of the Amazon transition, it was easier to speak your thoughts and try new ideas without as much politics.

Cons

Management sucks big time. Mid-level all the way up to heads/directors/vps. Lots of increasing office politics as more amazon or corporate experienced employees transferred over to the Twitch side. People actually doing the daily work were not well respected by people in higher positions, and lots of micromanagers in the marketing department. Really limited ambition and creativity- teams being disrespectful and... left out of the loop from higher ups also caused a lot of grief. HR was often no help, and definitely knew cases where HR managers corroborated with people managers to let go off people for reasons that actually didn't happen. From the year I left, up until now- many employees that were the most passionate people have since left. Seems more and more people are there just for the paycheck instead of building a great community and platform.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who are actually good at managing people and teams. Treat employees with respect, and offer more opportunities for growth.

Twitch2019-07-16

"Steer clear"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits align with other companies. "Hip" platform

Cons

Disorganized and chaotic. Leadership of any level will randomly kill projects. - 3 different ones in < 3 months - decisions are often opaque - roadmap got changed or even scrapped a few times without warning No clear plans or processes to rely on, - when asking for clarification, get different opinions but no clear answers, usually. If things fail, because there was no detailed plan, the ICs get... blamed. Twitch has been cutting down on benefits to save costs. Failing business (popular, but losing money) Unable to keep up with innovation Tech is of low standard in parts and doesn't get properly vetted. - not enough testing, no clear processes on testing Lots of political infighting between teams, personal vendettas. 2-classes environment Leaders will be proud of "diversity" even when the team is all white males from NA. o.0 Often open hate on anything Amazon or other companies, leads to often recreating the wheel, even when a better solution is available in the same or owning company. (Not-Invented-Here) Arrogance. "be happy you are working at Twitch", "good that you are now here, at the better place" - very entitled, often argue about how they aren't treated better, how the free lunch isn't good enough, etc. Very slow career improvement

Advice to Management

Hire good managers, create good processes and implement them.

Twitch2019-08-05

"easy going job until the progressivism took over"

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

awesome company to work for

Cons

the office is a little progressive

Twitch2019-06-17

"pretty good"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

perks and company culture good

Cons

there are too many politics sometimes

Twitch2019-06-17

"Eng-Rus Interpreter"

Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator

I worked at Twitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

Meeting new people, improving me skils

Cons

not serious unstable need to work every day

Twitch2019-06-07