Trulioo Reviews

Updated Apr 26, 2021

3.6
Trulioo CEO Steve Munford (no image)
Steve Munford
1 Rating
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Strong company with good values product and motivated people

Apr 26, 2021 - Operations in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good thing is everyone in the company cares a lot about each other, they aresupportive and motivated by the product and vision. Growing rapidly, some teams have doubled in size in the past year. Very good product, working on new and innovative technology. Doing well financially, continues to grow during Covid-19 onwards. Everyone is working from home which is nice.

Cons

They are going through some growing pains and getting systems established. As more bureaucracy comes in as we grow, it is important to make sure the upper management is engaged with the newer team members - open door policy. It is going to take a lot of effort and changes to go against big tech competitors that offer a lot, but they are getting there and in that open mindset.

Trulioo Response

Thank you for your feedback! We are thrilled to hear you mention the supportive work environment and great products in your time working with us. We will continue to provide a flexible work environment that helps in promoting a good team culture and take feedback to improve further.

2. 1.0
    Current Employee

Dont trust those 5 start reviews, and just check how many upvotes of each review

Feb 22, 2021 - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Used to have team lunch every 2 time a week 2. There was a ping pong table 3. lower level colleagues are usually really nice 4. Great place for marketing, account management and sales to have exposure to tech/finance giants

Cons

1. Politics from dawn to night, a dozen of new hires from manager’s previous company without normal recruiting process, and start push people away by providing 0 salary increase and assign unrealistic task with tight deadlines 2. Always try to low ball new grads' compensation to hire more junior developers 3. This is not a technology friendly company if they advertised themself as an SAAS startup. Technology are expense department, not the 3. They will ask if you are "willing" to submit a glassdoor review after your onboard meeting, if you go through all reviews and calculate how many upvotes each review gets, probably you will realise something :) 4. Big Brother is watching you:).Implicitly punching clock. Yes, they claim that access card tapin and tapout policy is due to compliance and regulation, but guess what, if your manager doesn't like you or wanna push you on some deadlines and tasks, they will use even a 10mins gap from entry history to trash your performance/efforts. 5. If you are software developer, maybe use it as your PLAN Z, yes PLAN Z

9 people found this review helpful

Trulioo Response

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you mention aspects such as growth, diversity, and innovation in your pros while working with us. We know there are a multitude of ways to approach improvements for our teams as we continue to grow as a company. We conduct a structured annual review process where employees salaries are revised based on performance. We have participated in market compensation benchmarking to help us pay competitively for salaries. We encourage feedback and open communication to help work better as a team and have a problem solving approach. We don't track time. Like any other company the deadlines are based on estimations given by the team and the manager. Having said that, we appreciate any feedback and will continue to improve.

3. 3.0

Burn and churn model

Mar 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Operate in a hot space - huge market potential 2. Well funded by big name investors 3. Young, energetic, self-driven workforce 4. Acknowleged brand name within the space 5. Established product market fit 6. Fun social activities Coworkers are great! A lot of down to earth doers and self driven talents who are a pleasure to work with. The frontline teams are supportive and collaborative. Fun team building events from time to time.

Cons

low pay even though the company makes good profit and in good financial standing; inconsistent processes and policies; lack of strategic direction; silos and redundancies; lack of career development commitment; do not invest in employees enough. Management’s priorities are: 1. Absolute control, which makes sense for early stage startups but top management needs to let go of their grip on the company and do not hinder its growth 2. Maintain low labor cost as long as possible (again makes sense for early stage startups, but high growth ones probably need to operate differently in this regard to attract and retain top talent 3. External publicity to drive capital fueled growth for better valuation ( Again, this is important but internal communication is also very important) The roles here are reversed across many functions. Low level employees are tasked to take on responsibilities that are way above the level they are hired into or compensated for but without matching authority or decision power. Upper management is focused on tactics driven detailed work the low level people should be doing. Not enough transparency in communications although the new CEO has been making efforts. Employees are not fully trusted. Hard working talents are exploited to do a lot until they burn out. Then their projects are taken away from them and the workload return to normal. And that’s when new employees are hired and the cycle starts again. Most of the employees are either fresh out of college, new to Canada, or are re-entering the workforce. The company seems to be struggling to keep and motivate good talents long term probably due to a lack of fair financial rewards and/or career development opportunity. Again probably a common startup pain but especially so here at Trulioo.

14 people found this review helpful

Trulioo Response

We value your feedback! We know there are a multitude of ways to approach improvements for our teams both in terms of growth of the organization, but also importantly, our culture. With that in mind, we are always looking for suggestions / feedback, and we are listening. We trust our employees and that is seen in our culture and when employees talk about it. Our referral program is one of our leading sources to hire employees. We have hired experienced employees to help us with the growth phase. They bring in best practices, and help us improve. This is a transition which all growth phase companies have to go through to help be successful. This means at times, change in structure or responsibilities, but this is kept in mind to ensure employees are set for success. There is transparency and open dialogue and we encourage everyone to share constructive feedback. Accountability is part of the team culture which means that areas of improvement are shared both with employees and managers as part of the process. We empathize with the feedback provided in your review, and we will take that feedback in order to improve. On a positive note, we are absolutely thrilled to hear that our people, and the collaborative nature we’ve fostered, stood out to you in your time here.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Looks good on the surface, but dysfunctional underneath

Apr 18, 2021 - Marketing in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Any pros are outweighed by the cons, unless you have no other opportunities available.

Cons

The marketing department is entrenched in dysfunction. Management gives lip service to wanting feedback and input, but they also police it heavily. Team members are discouraged from talking to each other without management present and from raising issues in group settings. Management delivers blunt criticism in public forums and unilaterally overrules good suggestions. As a result, team members do not feel psychologically safe to be honest.  There is superficial encouragement of collaboration and creativity, but in reality, both individual marketing functions and the marketing department itself are strongly siloed and make many decisions without consultation or debate.  Team members are often very productive and project-driven when they first join, and there is a strong task-focused culture. But as their ideas are sidelined and they are not given authority commensurate to their abilities, it's hard to stay motivated or work to make improvements that fall outside the daily to-do list. Team members may then lapse into survival mode. What looks like a close-knit friendly team is partly the product of shared trauma as people compare notes on the latest indignities and make jokes to cope. Since there's no reward in putting the team interests first, people often revert to looking out for themselves. Finally, the department has difficulty setting clear goals. There are so many projects and KPIs that priorities are virtually meaningless. Management asks team members for strategies but doesn't always provide the higher-level objectives that would give them meaning or context. Team members are held responsible for results that they don't always have the power to deliver. I have personally seen many talented people leave this marketing team, often in turbulent circumstances, because of mismanagement. I have also spoken to people who attest to the same problems in other departments, which was enough to convince me that the issue is systemic and not worth trying to fix from the inside. The company doesn't seem to care about employee retention; they just exploit people as long as they're willing to stay and then move on to fresh hires.

10 people found this review helpful

Trulioo Response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your time at Trulioo. We're sorry you didn't have a great experience during your time with us. Trulioo has been through immense growth over the last few years and we've been working hard to listen to our team members, identify areas that need to change in order to address ongoing concerns, and value these opportunities to enhance our employee experience. Your review gives us a lot to think about and we have shared it with the team internally. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your feedback and we wish you the best in your career.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

This company is a last resort option

Feb 27, 2021 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent people are hired for low-level roles Great place to build up your portfolio or get your start Promising product CEO has good ideas

Cons

Culture is brutal. You'll realize it after week 1 and be filled with regret. Management is not trained to manage people with professionalism - no psychological safety and anyone who challenges is considered a problem so people stay quiet or make ideas sound like they are managements ideas Your talents won't be realized and even silenced because management is focused on keeping their positions and power. Talented people are leaving to work somewhere that can respect and reward their contributions and it's sad to watch because you know things will be worse for it.

10 people found this review helpful

Trulioo Response

Hi there, we value your feedback. Please know we encourage employees to share their ideas, and work as a team. We highlight contributions of different teams and team members through our newsletters, in our all-hands meetings, and within teams. We have introduced leadership development training for all of our people manager roles at Trulioo and are committed to learning and development at all levels. We also share constructive feedback with employees to help them improve on and better align to team goals. We encourage a strong, collaborative team culture and many times it also means giving constructive feedback to employees who are amazing contributors but not good team players. On a positive note, we are very happy to hear that our innovative products and CEO stood out to you in your time with us. We will continue to share these feedbacks internally to help us improve.

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good vibe

Feb 27, 2021 - Software Developer Intern in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good vibe, company have good future

Cons

low wage, no work from home

Be the first to find this review helpful

Trulioo Response

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you mention our great team culture in your pros during your internship at Trulioo. During this covid-19 lockdown, we are all working remotely until government guidelines allow us back in the office. With an understanding that there is a new normal we will continue to provide a flexible work environment that helps in promoting work life balance and a good team culture.

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Use it as an entrance into tech industry...

Dec 19, 2020 - Administrative in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- CEO had great energy, vision and practiced what he preaches (gone now) - the product is great; the more your read about FinTech in the news, the more you realize the impact it has on others internationally - office location

Cons

- CFO (now replaced) and COO silo employees - Incestuous culture with rumours & high-school-like drama. - When people are actually having fun - management got suspicious. - In interview, say they are open to training and support but there was none. Became afraid to ask questions as the individuals who did help were reprimanded. - cheap

11 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people in the team

Nov 10, 2020 - Software Engineer in Panama City, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Colleagues provide good advice on coding and growth; 2. Able to switch between the teams to pursue your own growth goals (QA can become software engineers; Engineers can become devOps etc.); 3. Bar for the best practices in coding is above average; 4. Interesting tasks and features to implement;

Cons

Rarely we have tight deadlines/overtime (as in absolutely any tech company in the world), but overall life-work balance is good.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Place to work

Nov 28, 2020 - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

New leadership that are strong and compelling Decisive and action oriented company Focused on career paths for their employees Strong purpose that employees believe in

Cons

Should invest more into laptops Vancouver offices are in 2 buildings

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company with endless potential

Dec 4, 2020 - Talent Acquisition Associate in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Established but growing - Tonnes of hiring during covid-19 - Friendly, innovative team - Diverse culture

Cons

- nothing so far - that is it

Viewing 1 - 10 of 44 Reviews