Tripadvisor Reviews

Found 897 of over 1,077 reviews

3.8
Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation(in 107 reviews)

• "Great Benefits, Nice working environment(in 72 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Constant Change in upper management(in 26 reviews)

• "During the last large cutting of staff Senior Management said everyone would take a 20% pay cut to help balance the books(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Tripadvisor

Join the conversation on

Consulting

4m

works at

EY

I’m a rising Senior at EY (2 years of experience) looking to move into product management but I don’t seem to get any interest from recruiters because of my consulting experience (mostly credit modeling development and validation in risk management space). Can someone please give some tips ? I’d like to move into product management at a tech company that offers a highly consumer focused product (eg. TripAdvisor, Opentable etc.)

16 Comments

Tech

83.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Tripadvisor~15276
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great employer

May 12, 2019 - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Top tier salary Excellent benefits Great team dynamic; individuals matter Interesting work Constantly growing in Ottawa Free snacks and 3 lunches a week

Cons

Lunch offers limited. That's all I could think of.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good Team mates

May 25, 2021 - Digital Designer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Collaborative team mates & good work life balance.

Cons

Could have provided better salaries for workers

3. 5.0

Great people and pay

Apr 1, 2021 - Software Engineer II in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Compensation - Proximity to downtown - Good work life balance

Cons

- Older tech stack (depends on team / product)

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Take good care of their employees

Mar 23, 2021 - Principal Product Manager in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Despite what some employees seem to think, I think Tripadvisor does an amazing job taking care of their people. From competitive compensation, to work flexibility, to acknowledge and working on issues like Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, to the charitable work that the company does through the TripAdvisor Foundation... You can tell that they are going above and beyond to take care of their people. Some employees seem to want every aspect of their lives to be conveniently arranged by their employer (feed me gourmet meals every day, pay for the chair I sit in at home, etc.) But if you're satisfied with amazing comp and a standard benefits package, as well as generous maternity and paternity plans you will be more than happy.

Cons

I wish the leadership team as well as individual department heads were... Well... More inspiring and charismatic. Sometimes I feel like they are robots reading off a script when talking to us, whether in town halls or smaller meetings. I also wish they would promote more from within, especially for higher level positions, and then provide their people with coaching to get them up to par. Instead, many departments keep hiring MBAs from outside.

2 people found this review helpful

Vice President, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your positive remarks. We’re constantly striving to maintain a transparent, collaborative environment, so we’re glad that you found that to be the case, and that you are excited about the work we are doing in all areas. Our goal is to create a place where our employees feel free to share their opinions and ask questions to further their career development.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great company to work for.

Jan 27, 2021 - Now Unemployed in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic work culture. People are very generous with their knowledge and time. Leadership is outstanding and the culture and values are driven from top leadership.

Cons

Nothing significant that I can think of.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee

Treats their employees well

Jan 25, 2021 - Software Engineer II
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunity, interesting problems, great people.

Cons

A bit of a question mark for future existence with COVID

Vice President, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re glad that you enjoyed your experience as part of the Tripadvisor team. We are excited about the future, and as Tripadvisor continues to evolve, we’re committed to the strategy we have in place.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work

Jan 23, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, good culture, and they feed you too!

Cons

Dealing with development environnement issues can eat up your day

Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

8. 4.0

Changing Environment

Jan 3, 2020 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined TripAdvisor about 5 years ago and for the most part it has been a great experience. The company has great core values and there's room to move and grow. They are a global company and if you don't live in city with a TripAdvisor office working remote isn't a problem.

Cons

The company has gone through some massive organizational changes over the past year. The company is focused more than ever on being profitable. As a result a lot of its focus on the employees has gone sideways.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

One of the best places to work in Ottawa

May 13, 2017 - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

TripAdvisor has great profit sharing, great compensations in respect to the Ottawa market, and cool benefits like catered lunches and reembursal programs for transit. The office environment is medium sized, about 30 engineers and sports an open format, so you really get to know everyone. People are friendly and willing to help and generally, there isn't much people stepping on top of others, at least in engineering.

Cons

High expectations, sometimes stressful because release is weekly. Since this office is a virtual office, communicating with HQ and always being in the loop is a challenge. Things move very quickly at TripAdvisor.

8 people found this review helpful

Tripadvisor Response

Thanks for your review. I appreciate that you touched on many of the things that make TripAdvisor a great place to work- unique benefits, an open office environment, and friendly and helpful coworkers. I agree that we set high expectations for our teams and stick to our “speed wins” philosophy. Both have contributed greatly to our success over the years. Working across multiple locations and time zones presents communication challenges to any organization and we are no different. Although we’ve made strides in this area, there’s room for improvement and we’re always open to suggestions. Thanks again for your feedback and continued dedication to TripAdvisor. - Nick Shanny, SVP Engineering & Operations

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fun, challenging, good learning curve

Nov 13, 2015 - Senior Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you're worth it, this place will reward you good. Very agile and strategic thinking.

Cons

Not many options for free lunches in Ottawa office. Parking in downtown is an extra expense if you're living outside the city.

1 person found this review helpful