Tripadvisor Reviews

Updated Aug 11, 2020

3.5
Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation(in 106 reviews)

• "Great benefits, free lunch and the people(in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is a disaster and has been for years(in 25 reviews)

• "During the last large cutting of staff Senior Management said everyone would take a 20% pay cut to help balance the books(in 22 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Great people, good culture, and they feed you too!

Cons

Dealing with development environnement issues can eat up your day

Tripadvisor Response

January 24, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

2. "Changing Environment"

4.0
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I joined TripAdvisor about 5 years ago and for the most part it has been a great experience. The company has great core values and there's room to move and grow. They are a global company and if you don't live in city with a TripAdvisor office working remote isn't a problem.

Cons

The company has gone through some massive organizational changes over the past year. The company is focused more than ever on being profitable. As a result a lot of its focus on the employees has gone sideways.

3. "Great employer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Top tier salary Excellent benefits Great team dynamic; individuals matter Interesting work Constantly growing in Ottawa Free snacks and 3 lunches a week

Cons

Lunch offers limited. That's all I could think of.

"One of the best places to work in Ottawa"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

TripAdvisor has great profit sharing, great compensations in respect to the Ottawa market, and cool benefits like catered lunches and reembursal programs for transit. The office environment is medium sized, about 30 engineers and sports an open format, so you really get to know everyone. People are friendly and willing to help and generally, there isn't much people stepping on top of others, at least in engineering.

Cons

High expectations, sometimes stressful because release is weekly. Since this office is a virtual office, communicating with HQ and always being in the loop is a challenge. Things move very quickly at TripAdvisor.

Tripadvisor Response

May 23, 2017

Thanks for your review. I appreciate that you touched on many of the things that make TripAdvisor a great place to work- unique benefits, an open office environment, and friendly and helpful coworkers. I agree that we set high expectations for our teams and stick to our “speed wins” philosophy. Both have contributed greatly to our success over the years. Working across multiple locations and time zones presents communication challenges to any organization and we are no different. Although we’ve made strides in this area, there’s room for improvement and we’re always open to suggestions. Thanks again for your feedback and continued dedication to TripAdvisor. - Nick Shanny, SVP Engineering & Operations

"Fun, challenging, good learning curve"

Senior Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Tripadvisor for more than a year

Pros

If you're worth it, this place will reward you good. Very agile and strategic thinking.

Cons

Not many options for free lunches in Ottawa office. Parking in downtown is an extra expense if you're living outside the city.

"Dream Job"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Excellent team dynamics, exemplary management, free lunches, great location, flexible schedule, good family vs work balance, very high overall employee skill level, great mentorship, and last but not least, the company raison-d'etre is awesome.

Cons

Harsh technical interviews, not in line with daily tasks & environment. Salary is good, but not great given the expected skill level & throughput

Continue reading
  7. "Speed wins: working for a large yet nimble company is truly satisfying"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart coworkers; strong positive culture; high compensation; rev-share and bonuses are top tier; lots and lots of perks and benefits.

Cons

There is a lot of effort expected (that you are very well compensated for); while above-and-beyond isn't required, certainly you'll get the most out of TripAdvisor if you're able to step up the commitment (and again, you'll be rewarded for it).

Continue reading
  8. "A special company, product to be proud of, full of smart people"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Things get done fast. Despite being a public company, it's not short term, quarterly focused. They care for employees and a genuine care for the end user. Philanthropy is a big priority.

Cons

HR programs are not as innovative as peer companies. Big company symptoms are creeping in.

"Family Like office"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Feels like family and warm

Cons

Not really any. Wish I’d work there again

10. "Data analyst"

4.0
    Former Employee - TripAdvisor in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits are great

Cons

Data management is highly dysfunctional

Found 721 reviews