TripAdvisor "senior management" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

TripAdvisor Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated Jun 12, 2019

3.9
TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "Perks, Vacation Time, Free lunch(in 98 reviews)

• "Smart people, great benefits, including lunch every day(in 58 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews

"London office"

Current Employee - Manager, London in London, England

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch on Tues and Thurs Office space is clean and well-organized

Cons

The UK office is a branch of the US, no decision makers are in the UK office No direction from senior management Senior teams expect a 24d7h work ethic

TripAdvisor2019-06-12

"Overall it's a really great place to work if you don't mind a slow commute"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stellar benefits, topped by the free lunches, incredible health insurance, and generous PTO.

Cons

Difficult to move up. The company has been constantly reorganizing as it tries to reposition itself in the market causing responsibilities to be constantly changing. Needham has a very high COL so unless you're senior management and can afford a $600k home, you'll have to settle for sitting in traffic an hour each way to work

Advice to Management

Tell your employees that they're doing a good job every once and a while

TripAdvisor2019-01-24

"Great environment"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, great facilities, great talent

Cons

Not nimble, senior management has top down mentality

TripAdvisor2018-08-23

"Great place to join, bad place to stay."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- A great place to learn coding style conventions, scoping of large projects, and many other skills necessary for software engineering careers. - Free lunch. - Great place to network with engineers. Lots of startups in the area are founded by ex-TripAdvisor employees.

Cons

- Little opportunity for advancement, and company badly attempts to hide this by promising more opportunities 'if you work hard.' - Vague guidelines for how to properly utilize engineering rotation. - Extremely poor management of technical debt. - Outdated technological stack and senior management resistant to change. - Tolerance of management/groups that are uncommunicative and insular. - HR department is behind the times. - Very little standardization of technology between groups or even employees. Having employees configure their own dev boxes is a prime example that cost enormous amounts of productivity for minimal learning gains. - Code base is collapsing under its own weight. To their credit, they hired a senior engineer solely to mitigate this issue. When I left the company, morale was quite low. Not only are there very few senior roles available, it is not attractive to take a senior role because the technologies and design philosophy are falling behind industry standards, hobbling ability to jump to other companies or even to change position within the company.

Advice to Management

First and foremost, I left because my technical manager was not managing. I was assigned a project that required around 50 days more work than my manager expected (not a typo). My requests for assistance or better scoping of the project were met with victim-blaming, lambasting me in front of the rest of my group every week for not having completed a Sisyphean task. TripAdvisor does not have structures in place for employees to share their concerns about management. My situation shouldn't even have been possible. In this position, the only way senior management can regain employee trust is to be honest and encourage transparent communication. Publish statistics regarding promotion rates and how much various employees like their teams. More importantly, publish how much employees like working WITH other teams. Have employees meet with HR quarterly to discuss their concerns about their work environment.

TripAdvisor2018-06-09

"It used to be a lot better."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Colleagues, environment, perks, office space, parking and the occasional staff party. Good for the short term or as a stop gap.

Cons

It completely lost it's culture due to Senior Management not listening and lacking compassion. Autonomy and decision making comes from the US. Lack of development and career progression.

Advice to Management

The bean counters need to listen to their employees more, then they won't have such high staff turnover and create such a toxic environment.

TripAdvisor2018-04-02

"Time to go beyond the perks"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Just like others have written, the free food, snacks everywhere, fun events like Halloween party, great gym and amazing office space. So basically...the perks The feeling that you are working at a "cool place"

Cons

Senior Management seems out of touch with the majority of the staff. The motto of "Speed Wins" is spoken about all topics, all projects, but not all projects are the same and "Speed Wins" does not always make sense The constant feeling of stress due to unrealistic timelines.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and start asking some really hard questions. What has changed? What can we do to stop good people from leaving? Acknowledge that not all things need to be done fast "Speed Wins" is not always the answer.

TripAdvisor2017-03-12

"A ship that has been lost at sea in recent years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employee welfare & that's just about it

Cons

This used to be THE COMPANY to work for but no longer. When I first joined, I told myself "This will be the last company I want to work for till I retire." So what went wrong? Almost everything! Wrong senior management hires, bought over companies that show little potential & my department has not been given a direction since 2 years ago! The list can go on but in a nutshell..... they have lost it. It is only a matter of time till the competitors catch up.

Advice to Management

You once had the creme de la creme in human capital. It has gone downhill in recent years & you know it. Whilst my review is negative, there is a part of me that still wants to see an ex company doing well but sadly, looking at things the way they are, it's not going to happen.

TripAdvisor2017-02-22

"Great strong brand, smart individuals but wrong department"

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Worked alongside with some of the smartest, most (travel) passionate & hardworking individuals. Company culture is great, TripAdvisor brand is strong & it was sad to leave. Benefits are awesome. I have a lot of respect for my co-workers in other teams.

Cons

My experience is only applicable to Hotel Solutions team. Lack of career development & empowerment. Joined the team with the relevant experience, met my sales targets but my direct superior has no sales nor travel background yet set unrealistic KPIs as a result of senior management. We were not empowered to make decisions & the superiors with their lack of experience were neither mentors nor were they able to make good business decisions. Felt frustrated with the lack of opportunities to grow as an individual, yet people with less experience were given a pay raise & same title after restructuring. Poor middle management: There was a lot of unnecessary politicking going on during my years in the team with the various changes. While things did almost change for the better during my last year, it took a dive when the wrong people were chosen to be the middle management. Felt a lack of communication between senior management to the people on the ground, mostly due to the poor choice of middle management who did not translate the correct message downwards. Middle management were just busy trying to keep their jobs & meet KPIs instead of doing what is good & necessary for the business. Lack of soul & positive culture within the team: the culture of "keep your job by hitting KPI" translates to people who just do what was necessary to survive instead of what is necessary for the business to grow further. The sales floor was a frat party and sellers were just concerned about numbers than the customers. They did what was necessary to survive with unethical sales practices. The sales machine just lack soul and it became toxic to stick around anymore. Lack of synergy between departments: each department work independently from one another though talking to the same customer. One department's decision can affect another but that was not taken into consideration. Unfair system that resulted into poor customer experience.

Advice to Management

Rethink the sales machine. Is it salespeople that the customers want or is it consultants who add value to them? Is performance measured only with the spreadsheet or with the feedback from the customers? The company has grown too big and detached from one another. The value of the company is unclear

TripAdvisor2017-02-03

"A New HQ and Perks Only Go So Far"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunch, snack walls, gym, beautiful new HQ and amazing coworkers. I enjoyed some of my time here and made some great connections, friends and resume content for my new career.

Cons

Low pay, no recognition for those that go above and beyond, high turnover and a company that tries to be better than Google and cater to engineers. Work/life balance is a joke and working from home is frowned upon in most instances. Manage micromanages and senior management is untouchable and out of touch with how their employees view their workplace. Told to write positive reviews for Glassdoor when it goes against their own review policy for the site. Their is very little opportunity for career growth and TA would rather hire externally than give their own employees a chance to grow.

Advice to Management

Stop looking to hire externally and grow great individuals internally. Try less to try to be Google and stop taking yourselves so seriously. Give your employees a better salary and stop trying to "buy" everyone with free lunch and iced coffee on tap. Do an internal sweep on those people who are not pulling their weight and promote employees who work hard and deserve more. Stop making it so obvious that you only have a new HQ and amazing perks to get engineers from blue chip school that Google would snatch up.

TripAdvisor2015-07-29

"A really good place to work"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've only been with the company around a year, but I've been pretty happy so far. It's not perfect, but no place is. I'd say the pros are: - The people are all nice, smart, fun people - Immediately was given the opportunity to take responsibility and run with things. Really getting the opportunity to grow professionally and I know my opinions are valued - The benefits are also awesome

Cons

I'd say the cons are: - Communication. From senior management and between departments. We need to know the changes that are coming down the pike earlier than we do so we can better prepare to deal with them. I don't disagree with the ideas, but the delivery needs to be improved.

Advice to Management

Get more buy-in from people more regularly and increase your communication. I'm hoping to see some improvement in this area though. Also, you need to be someone who is comfortable or wants to take initiative, as it seems like those are the people that do well here.

TripAdvisor2014-12-24