TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.6
TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance was also fantastic" (in 52 reviews)

• "Good benefits package and plenty of useful amenities - free lunch twice a week" (in 94 reviews)

Cons

"One of the best places to work in Ottawa"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TripAdvisor has great profit sharing, great compensations in respect to the Ottawa market, and cool benefits like catered lunches and reembursal programs for transit. The office environment is medium sized, about 30 engineers and sports an open format, so you really get to know everyone. People are friendly and willing to help and generally, there isn't much people stepping on top of others, at least in engineering.

Cons

High expectations, sometimes stressful because release is weekly. Since this office is a virtual office, communicating with HQ and always being in the loop is a challenge. Things move very quickly at TripAdvisor.

Advice to Management

Decentralize the work so that communication does not pose as barrier. Would be nice to match some of the benefits that HQ gets, ie. gym, full weekly catering, and parking passes.

TripAdvisor Response

23 May, 2017

Thanks for your review. I appreciate that you touched on many of the things that make TripAdvisor a great place to work- unique benefits, an open office environment, and friendly and helpful... More

"Fun, challenging, good learning curve"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at TripAdvisor (More than a year)

Pros

If you're worth it, this place will reward you good. Very agile and strategic thinking.

Cons

Not many options for free lunches in Ottawa office. Parking in downtown is an extra expense if you're living outside the city.

Advice to Management

Need more meeting rooms and gourmet lunches in all satellite offices!

"Dream Job"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Excellent team dynamics, exemplary management, free lunches, great location, flexible schedule, good family vs work balance, very high overall employee skill level, great mentorship, and last but not least, the company raison-d'etre is awesome.

Cons

Harsh technical interviews, not in line with daily tasks & environment. Salary is good, but not great given the expected skill level & throughput

Advice to Management

Management is great.

4. "Speed wins: working for a large yet nimble company is truly satisfying"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart coworkers; strong positive culture; high compensation; rev-share and bonuses are top tier; lots and lots of perks and benefits.

Cons

There is a lot of effort expected (that you are very well compensated for); while above-and-beyond isn't required, certainly you'll get the most out of TripAdvisor if you're able to step up the commitment (and again, you'll be rewarded for it).

Advice to Management

Sharing more long-term strategic thinking beyond the next 6-12 months would be helpful in understanding the direction of the ship.

5. "A special company, product to be proud of, full of smart people"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Things get done fast. Despite being a public company, it's not short term, quarterly focused. They care for employees and a genuine care for the end user. Philanthropy is a big priority.

Cons

HR programs are not as innovative as peer companies. Big company symptoms are creeping in.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employees and encourage their ideas outside of the hierarchy

6. "Love Change?"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great opportunities - lots of change

Cons

Need to be comfortable with change

7. "Amazing Company"

Former Employee - Customer Success Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Success Representative

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Perks, Vacation Time, Free lunch

Cons

hard to move up within the company

"A one way Trip into the abyss"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits: fruits+snacks, dental care, health insurance (Bupa)
    Decent wage

Cons

Where to start? I have been working here for many years.
    Witnessed so many different changes in management. But the values of the company don't change.
    To them, you are just a number. A lemon to squeeze until there is nothing left and all your enthusiasm and passion is gone together with your ambitions.

They say speed wins and then take years to release a new product. Their price strategy is another joke, and clients are noticing it so they know they can renew their subscription at a much lower price just by canceling and then waiting a few months.
    They are very good at copying their competitors but useless at innovating.
    Here you don't think, you say yes and become a part of the flock, after a while, you don't even think anymore as they don't like people who come up with different ideas.

This is inside sales for you at TripAdvisor.

In Oxford, our office is about to close because they are about to move the main office to Dublin.
    It has been made clear to us in more than one way to look for a new job. But nothing is official, everything is always behind closed doors. We live in fear, when are they going to close the office? Some people have mortgages to pay, kids, etc ... but who cares?
    Morale is at the lowest. We feel betrayed. We lost trust.

Another value of this company is transparency which has become our joke. But really it is deeply sad. Tripadvisor is playing with people lives.
    They support charities to look good on paper but don't treat their own employees with the respect and honesty they deserve.

Advice to Management

Live up to your values or change them.

"Overall great company"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at TripAdvisor! I was promoted twice during my time there. You definitely have to express interest in being promoted and work very hard at it, but it’s all completely doable. Work life balance was also fantastic!

Cons

There are lots of changes happening within the travel industry in general, so jobs and departments of TA can also change really quickly. Be flexible!

"Great culture, unrealistic targets, make friends at work"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, colleagues, free lunch, snacks, still freedom to work and reach targets.

Cons

Not clear how the managers have set the targets. You cannot make 19k per quarter on sponsored placements when you are in a totally different market than those who nearly achive it.
    Only achievers are awarded.
    Metrics are in their implementation phase. Becoming a call center.
    Since I have joined 5 people quit. It is not the place to make money with the bonus.