TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Oct 8, 2019

3.7
TripAdvisor CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "Perks, Vacation Time, Free lunch(in 99 reviews)

• "Smart people, great benefits, including lunch every day(in 57 reviews)

1. "Great employer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Top tier salary Excellent benefits Great team dynamic; individuals matter Interesting work Constantly growing in Ottawa Free snacks and 3 lunches a week

Cons

Lunch offers limited. That's all I could think of.

TripAdvisor2019-05-13

"One of the best places to work in Ottawa"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

TripAdvisor has great profit sharing, great compensations in respect to the Ottawa market, and cool benefits like catered lunches and reembursal programs for transit. The office environment is medium sized, about 30 engineers and sports an open format, so you really get to know everyone. People are friendly and willing to help and generally, there isn't much people stepping on top of others, at least in engineering.

Cons

High expectations, sometimes stressful because release is weekly. Since this office is a virtual office, communicating with HQ and always being in the loop is a challenge. Things move very quickly at TripAdvisor.

Advice to Management

Decentralize the work so that communication does not pose as barrier. Would be nice to match some of the benefits that HQ gets, ie. gym, full weekly catering, and parking passes.

TripAdvisor2017-05-13

May 23, 2017

Thanks for your review. I appreciate that you touched on many of the things that make TripAdvisor a great place to work- unique benefits, an open office environment, and friendly and helpful coworkers. I agree that we set high expectations for our teams and stick to our “speed wins” philosophy. Both have contributed greatly to our success over the years. Working across multiple locations and time zones presents communication challenges to any organization and we are no different. Although we’ve made strides in this area, there’s room for improvement and we’re always open to suggestions. Thanks again for your feedback and continued dedication to TripAdvisor. - Nick Shanny, SVP Engineering & Operations

"Fun, challenging, good learning curve"

Senior Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at TripAdvisor for more than a year

Pros

If you're worth it, this place will reward you good. Very agile and strategic thinking.

Cons

Not many options for free lunches in Ottawa office. Parking in downtown is an extra expense if you're living outside the city.

Advice to Management

Need more meeting rooms and gourmet lunches in all satellite offices!

TripAdvisor2015-11-14

"Dream Job"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Excellent team dynamics, exemplary management, free lunches, great location, flexible schedule, good family vs work balance, very high overall employee skill level, great mentorship, and last but not least, the company raison-d'etre is awesome.

Cons

Harsh technical interviews, not in line with daily tasks & environment. Salary is good, but not great given the expected skill level & throughput

Advice to Management

Management is great.

TripAdvisor2014-02-11
  5. "Speed wins: working for a large yet nimble company is truly satisfying"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart coworkers; strong positive culture; high compensation; rev-share and bonuses are top tier; lots and lots of perks and benefits.

Cons

There is a lot of effort expected (that you are very well compensated for); while above-and-beyond isn't required, certainly you'll get the most out of TripAdvisor if you're able to step up the commitment (and again, you'll be rewarded for it).

Advice to Management

Sharing more long-term strategic thinking beyond the next 6-12 months would be helpful in understanding the direction of the ship.

TripAdvisor2013-08-08
  6. "A special company, product to be proud of, full of smart people"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Things get done fast. Despite being a public company, it's not short term, quarterly focused. They care for employees and a genuine care for the end user. Philanthropy is a big priority.

Cons

HR programs are not as innovative as peer companies. Big company symptoms are creeping in.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employees and encourage their ideas outside of the hierarchy

TripAdvisor2012-12-19

"BEST COMPANY TO WORK FOR!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is by far the BEST Company i have worked for! i started out as a contractor and i was nervous that being a huge company i would be met with arrogance or know-it - all attitude but I felt so welcome from day 1. Every one in general was welcoming, helpful and now I am so blessed to have become full time and what an amazing team i am part of and all the other teams that i collaborate with. I feel extremely... supported in all ways - resources to do my job, opportunities to learn and a clear path to career growth. I initially thought top management would be inaccessible but they are open arms... Steve is very down to earth and has an open door policy where you can stop by in his office and engage with him or say hello! I thought that was very humbling... Management encourages to communicate anything that can improve us the employees and the company as a whole without fear of intimidation. In addition to the incredible free lunch, snacks and coffees, the benefits are also amazing , their vision of charitable work is greatly encouraged, the office setting is relaxed where by you can work from anywhere in the building or outside when the weather allows. The culinary staff and cleaning crews are very incredibly efficient. All in all i could go on and on but there is too much to say...So far I have had a wonderful and amazing experience working at Trip and I am VERY VERY HAPPY here.. I feel acknowledged which may seem simple but a very crucial ingredient in an employee's performance.

Cons

sometime working with different national and international teams has a few hiccups but that is understandable and measures are constantly being taken to improve the system

TripAdvisor2019-10-07

October 8, 2019Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for highlighting the strength of our company culture and inclusivity. Our goal is to create an environment where everyone feels welcome to share their opinions, challenged by their work and empowered to own their projects. We also know that it really is our employees that make TripAdvisor a great place to work, so hearing directly from employees about how their colleagues enrich their experience is always great news.

"Smart and humane"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great culture: The flat structure is truly implemented. - Smart people: A great set of people who really care about what they are doing - Great perks: Apart from free lunches, loads of things to make it easier for you to handle life! Very thoughtful!

Cons

You will not be able to leave (I have been interviewing and getting monetarily better offers, but still haven't found a place that feels better. Hence, haven't left!)

Advice to Management

Continue the great work! For whats it worth.. I have complete faith in the organization!

TripAdvisor2019-09-18

October 8, 2019Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your positive remarks. We value opinions from employees across all levels and departments; we're glad to hear that this has been your experience. We're also happy to hear that you've found our benefits package, as well as our beyond work benefits to be helpful.

"Great perks, a fun workplace with events throughout the year"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Oxford, England

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Opportunities to learn and develop skills are available, online or via training in new positions

Cons

Evolving constantly means that I worry from time to time about a new venture.

Advice to Management

To encourage more development within the working hours.

TripAdvisor2019-09-19

October 8, 2019Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re happy to hear that you're enjoying your experience as part of the TripAdvisor team. As Never Stop Learning is one of our core values, we appreciate you highlighting opportunities to further your career development both within your team as well as through the Learning and Development team's trainings.

10. "good place to work at"

Former Employee - Content Manager

I worked at TripAdvisor part-time

Pros

good place to work to work at but hard

Cons

hard career progression and potential growth in some fields

TripAdvisor2019-10-02

October 17, 2019Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As our company continues to grow, we are appreciative of employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

Found 616 reviews