Travelers Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Found 2615 reviews

3.9
Travelers CEO Alan D. Schnitzer
Alan D. Schnitzer
Pros
  • "You'd expect to get great benefits from a company with 30k employees and you'd right(in 181 reviews)

• "Work-life balance so far has been great(in 168 reviews)

Cons
  1. "nice manager to work for, team is positive"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Travelers full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice manager to work for, team is positive

Cons

salary is competitive but not outstanding , vacations are not generous

Advice to Management

none, they are doing a good job

Travelers2019-07-17

July 24, 2019Head of Human Resources

It’s great to hear you’re having a positive experience. Our people are key to creating the collaborative environment that defines Travelers's culture.

"Travelers"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Oakville, ON

I have been working at Travelers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible with work from home and hours.

Cons

A lot of change over the past couple of years and still happening. A lot of staff turn over.

Travelers2019-08-18

August 20, 2019Head of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We have gone through a lot of change over the last several months as we strive to be both an employer of choice and carrier of choice and we are excited about our future.

"Finally some good IT leadership!!!"

Current Employee - Technology in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Travelers full-time

Pros

- good pay and benefits/pension - seem to have good momentum for positive change - new IT leadership additions are paving the way for badly needed direction - company seems committed to change - flexible work arrangements

Cons

- decision making is very slow and is by committee - business direction on projects constantly change - hopefully new leadership will drive change

Advice to Management

- stay committed to change - continue to seek improvement and drive a positive culture - decision making needs to be faster - continue with flexible work arrangements (e.g. ability to work from home when needed).

Travelers2019-08-01

August 5, 2019Head of Human Resources

Thank you for the positive feedback. We’ll share this with management.

4. "Highly organized and structured company"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager

I worked at Travelers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working hours, good benefits, structured company, good pay compared to competitors

Cons

high volume workload, too many bosses

Travelers2019-07-25

"Don't do it!"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Travelers full-time

Pros

Good dedicated employees who continually try to do their best despite trying circumstances. They pay well because it's the only way they can keep or attract people despite the reputation they have

Cons

No work/life balance, worked 6 days a week on salary. Sr Leaders didn't listen to front line employees, they pretend to listen but continue to do more of the same. CEO seems to have good intentions but I don't know if she is truly hearing what's happening on the front lines. Many employees - most managers are actively looking for work elsewhere and are completely disengaged. There are some Sr leaders (executives) that...

Advice to Management

Actually listen to and act on the feedback from employees. I talked to Human Resources as well as Sr leaders about the issues. I was assured that executives knew about the issues and they would be rectified but nothing ever changed and it continues to this day.

Travelers2019-08-14

"Constantly under-staffed; Real quality of service is embarrassing; Outside consultants are respected more than staff."

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Oakville, ON

I have been working at Travelers full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Pension matching program. 4 weeks paid time off to start (vacation/sick days combined). Some supervisors are good, some colleagues are amazing. Upper management means well, and seems to genuinely care about employee engagement.

Cons

Canada has to do whatever the US does. every year is a new round of consultants telling us what to do (without listening to the employees at all). Most employees are discouraged/stressed out and on the verge of burnout. Employee turnover is high. Office Politics seem to be what's running middle management; can we get some supervisors who actually care about staff and have some common sense?

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees who are at the front line (or at least close to it). Outsourced help does not magically solve everything, and quality is slipping. Employees can't be engaged when they're worried about getting reorganized out of a job, and when there's so much work we all work overtime to try to keep up but we're not allowed to hire for permanent positions, or when micro-managers are given more control to grind...

Travelers2019-07-15

July 24, 2019Head of Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We'll take the details you've shared and use it as an opportunity to look at improvements.

"Travelers Canada is a completely dysfunctional organization - and it starts at the top."

Former Employee - Vice President in Toronto, ON

I worked at Travelers

Pros

No work outside of work hours because projects don’t actually move forward.

Cons

- No strategy in place - Incredibly top down management - CEO has to approve everything and has trouble making decisions - Terrible culture and morale (everyone there wants out and actively talks about job search) - Worst Leadership I have ever experienced in my career - No development, no tangible skill learning

Advice to Management

Replace the Canadian CEO and start clean, or divest the business. You’re losing money and have no strategies in place to do anything about it.

Travelers2019-07-20

July 24, 2019Head of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. It’s important to us.

"Do not work there EVER !!"

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Calgary, AB

I worked at Travelers full-time for more than a year

Pros

competitive salary (if you're willing to work crazy hours) - flexible schedule - great vacation - possibility to work from home 2 days per week

Cons

Workload impossible to manage - forced overtime - always hiring (can't keep their employees) - pretend to care and wanting to change things but very narrow-minded. It has to be their way or no way at all - they keep making decisions that doesn't make sense just so they don't have to admit their mistakes. Impossible to negotiate with

Advice to Management

Be transparent. Listen to what your employees have to say and do something about it or you'll just keep losing them, as well as your insured. Your clients can't get the service they deserve if you keep losing your good staff

Travelers2019-07-09

July 24, 2019Head of Human Resources

Providing our employees with the opportunity for workplace flexibility is important to us. We never like to hear that one of our employees has had a bad experience and strive to create an environment where employees feel supported.

9. "Positive Changes"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Oakville, ON

I have been working at Travelers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

So many opportunities are just around the corner...stay tuned!

Cons

Not enough hours in a day to truly make a difference

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Change is Good!

Travelers2019-05-31

"Potential to be a good job"

Former Employee - Claims

I worked at Travelers full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- CEO seems to really care - Good office locations - Opportunity to work from home full-time

Cons

- Work load is completely unmanageable and everything spirals out of control quickly. -Impossible to meet deadlines, customer service suffers and there is a lack of managerial support. - Very high stress work environment you need a tough character to deal with the ongoing conflicts but that is the nature of Insurance claims anywhere you work. - Zero succession planning for key performers.

Advice to Management

If you want employees to continue to maintain quality they need support and there has to be a succession plan. It is impossible for people to continue working efficiently where there is no opportunity to move up within the organization. There needs to be more support for employees the stress leave rates are too high.

Travelers2019-05-27