TransAlta Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

TransAlta President & CEO Dawn Farrell
Dawn Farrell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management not well-liked as you can see from other reviews" (in 10 reviews)

• "Just realize there is no job security in ANY role or position" (in 5 reviews)

"Viewing it from the other side of the glass"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor - Stakeholder & Indigenous Relations in Calgary, AB

I have been working at TransAlta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people who write reviews on sites like Glassdoor are those disgruntled because of layoffs or personal issues with their supervisors. The truth is those of us who are happy about our place of work never take the time to share the other side of the story.
    I have been with TransAlta for 4 years now. In the past 25 years, my career has taken me to all four corners of the globe working on sustainable development projects. I have had the privilege to be mentored by some of the greatest professionals around. Yet, I don't remember ever working for a more innovative, progressive company than TransAlta Corporation.
    Not one or two, but three of the supervisors I've worked with in this company have taken the time to make sure I'm involved in projects I find meaningful. The level of trust is one of the highest I have ever encountered and ideas and suggestions are listened to and followed on.
    Most of the people I work with work hard because they feel respected and appreciated.
    Lately, the Management Team in the Company has involved us all in a culture-changing exercise; and the results have been outstanding. A positive attitude is contagious and ours is spreading rapidly.
    I truly look forward to the rest of my career here, and I know of many others who feel the same way about TransAlta.

Cons

No company is perfect but this one comes really close

Advice to Management

Keep involving the key innovators in the process of bringing this company to new heights. Some of the best ideas come from front-line employees.

"A disaster of a company"

I have been working at TransAlta full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can't think of any other positive point about being here than the chance to work with a handful of experienced employees who know the sector really well. For some inexplicable reason, TransAlta has managed to hire some of the amazing talent pool the company has. They never last long enough though.

Cons

With a couple of exceptions, the entire management team at TransAlta should be fired. They confuse leadership with micromanaging and bossing people around while never being there for them. Every manager "manages up" instead of being there for their teams. The mentality of the upper ranks is behind by decades. No matter how good you are, somebody else ends up taking credit for it and you get NO recognition. It is a real miracle this company is still around. I can't think of a single coworker I have spoken with lately who isn't looking for a new job.

Advice to Management

Why is the Board of Directors allowing the management team at TransAlta to destroy such a long-lasting Alberta company year after year? Maybe the Board needs to be fired as well.

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB

I worked at TransAlta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You collect a paycheck and hours of work are ok

Cons

Constant layoffs
    No job satisfaction
    Wages are extremely low
    Poor staff and company culture
    Inexperienced management making poor decisions

Advice to Management

Need to value your employees and not treat them poor. Mentor young managers because they lack empathy and experience,

"Analystis"

I have been working at TransAlta full-time

Pros

Nice place to work, good salary

Cons

changes, changes, changes, changes everyday

"treat people as expendable"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Calgary, AB

I worked at TransAlta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great place to learn about Alberta electricity industry

Cons

people are constantly being fired, its a tough place to work, you never feel secure there

Advice to Management

more transparency, respect for employees, make people feel safe

"Management totally inept"

Current Employee - Operations in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Operations in Calgary, AB

I have been working at TransAlta full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay check every 2 weeks

Cons

Old school and “Old Boys Club” mentality.
    Production and KPI’s take precedence over safety. CEO lost all credibility with me long ago by putting out a useless weekly blog and asks how to wear sunglasses....yes it’s true! HR Dept. is useless. Poor communication at management level, they just don’t listen. Good people at the trades-person level.

Advice to Management

WAKE UP! CEO NEEDS TO GO.

"Manager"

I have been working at TransAlta full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent Salary
    More than enoughTime off
    Flex Schedule

Cons

Hypocritical Leadership
    Lack Direction
    Cumbersome and slow process / procedures

"Don’t Do It"

I have been working at TransAlta full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some really smart, kind people work here

Cons

Cut throat management, it’s all about them and who cares about the people actually doing the work. People are managed by fear.

Advice to Management

Change the Executive as culture won’t change until they are gone.

"Good place to learn, but stay away if you can"

I worked at TransAlta full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent place to learn if you are interested in the power business, especially in areas of power engineering and operations. TransAlta owns coal, gas, hydro and wind generation and has some of the leading experts in Alberta for each of these technologies. Many influential people in the power business today are ex-TransAlta employees and the company has a tremendous history in Alberta.

Cons

The company has been in lay-off mode since at least 2012, so people have been in constant fear of losing their jobs. This has killed morale and created a toxic environment where bad behaviors are rewarded.

Be prepared to work long hours. Staff reduction has meant the people left have been doing the work of 2 and sometimes 3 people. Pay freezes and benefits reduction means people have been working more for less.

A review of company financial statements will show the huge debt the company has. It really isn't manageable given current market conditions unless assets are sold or the government provides a bail out.

The company has been fined by regulators in recent years for market manipulation. Processes have changed, but attitudes haven't. If you end up working here, make sure you take all the training related to market manipulation and protect yourself by documenting everything.

Advice to Management

None really. The company is where it is because of years of bad decisions by the CEO and Executives and they aren't the people who can fix the problem. The message really is for the Board to completely overhaul the C-Suite, or sell the company so someone else can overhaul the C-Suite. The entire management team needs to change down to line managers.

"Corporate"

I worked at TransAlta full-time

Pros

Good benefits, lots of job opportunities

Cons

Bad culture, demoralized workfoce and old fashioned