TransAlta Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

2.1
TransAlta President & CEO Dawn Farrell
Dawn Farrell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Lots of great people that work within the company" (in 12 reviews)

• "Promotion and support of good work/life balance" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management not well-liked as you can see from other reviews" (in 10 reviews)

• "Company does not do anything about incredibly high turnover" (in 5 reviews)

"Viewing it from the other side of the glass"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor - Stakeholder & Indigenous Relations in Calgary, AB

I have been working at TransAlta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people who write reviews on sites like Glassdoor are those disgruntled because of layoffs or personal issues with their supervisors. The truth is those of us who are happy about our place of work never take the time to share the other side of the story.
    I have been with TransAlta for 4 years now. In the past 25 years, my career has taken me to all four corners of the globe working on sustainable development projects. I have had the privilege to be mentored by some of the greatest professionals around. Yet, I don't remember ever working for a more innovative, progressive company than TransAlta Corporation.
    Not one or two, but three of the supervisors I've worked with in this company have taken the time to make sure I'm involved in projects I find meaningful. The level of trust is one of the highest I have ever encountered and ideas and suggestions are listened to and followed on.
    Most of the people I work with work hard because they feel respected and appreciated.
    Lately, the Management Team in the Company has involved us all in a culture-changing exercise; and the results have been outstanding. A positive attitude is contagious and ours is spreading rapidly.
    I truly look forward to the rest of my career here, and I know of many others who feel the same way about TransAlta.

Cons

No company is perfect but this one comes really close

Advice to Management

Keep involving the key innovators in the process of bringing this company to new heights. Some of the best ideas come from front-line employees.

"Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enters Here"

I have been working at TransAlta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

[a]Learning opportunities if interested in industry
    [b]Good front line people in the field and at head office

Cons

[a] Ongoing demotions, terminations and resignations of managers and executives. Depleted leadership. Followed by staff resignations. High turnover.
    [b] Ongoing restructuring do-overs. Poor execution.
    [c] Toxic culture for many. Low morale across company. Negative narrative.
    [d] Wage freezes like most Calgary companies, but then we had decreased bonus, decreased pension, decreased paid days off, decreased training. But increased pay for top officers and more acquisitions. Inconsistent.
    [e] Only one in five employees like, trust and respect the CEO. Her Base.

Advice to Management

We are not an employer of choice for university grads or experienced professions. Rather an employer of necessity. If we want to attract, energize and retain the top talent change the culture and improve the rewards.

"Corporate"

I worked at TransAlta full-time

Pros

Good benefits, lots of job opportunities

Cons

Bad culture, demoralized workfoce and old fashioned

4. "A good place to work"

I have been working at TransAlta full-time

Pros

Strong female leadership and mentorship
    Promotion and support of good work/life balance
    Interesting work, interesting industry
    Some good and solid benefits
    Opportunities for advancement and learning

Cons

External factors challenge the electricity business, but this company is setting itself up to whether these

5. "Burning coal"

Pros

Wages are ok and 5 crew rotation makes for long stretches of days off

Cons

Company run buy Aussie influence and bad business practices.

Advice to Management

Hope you enjoy your fat bonuses brought to you by hard working union personal!!!

"Decent place to work, but poor morale makes the environment difficult."

I have been working at TransAlta full-time

Pros

Good colleagues, vacation policy and benefits.

Cons

Workplace morale has decreased considerably the past couple of years. Salary increases have been very minimal after joining.

"going through a lot of changes"

Current Employee - N/A in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - N/A in Calgary, AB

I have been working at TransAlta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work itself is really interesting, especially from an IT point of view.

Cons

Employees are disposable, as much as contractors. They pay a little less than market, because of the interesting work and awesome experience these projects offer. Just realize there is no job security in ANY role or position.

Advice to Management

none - they are in survival mode

"Literally the worst"

Current Employee - Commercial in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Commercial in Calgary, AB

I have been working at TransAlta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Because of high turnover rate, there are opportunities for advancement
    - Any time not spent at work
    - Coworkers are nice
    - Cafeteria has good breakfast

Cons

- No work-life balance. Expect a 50+ hour work week as normal
    - CEO (Dawn Farrell) is a sociopath; took a >$3M pay increase, while freezing employee wages (for the last three years).
    - As per company-wide Survey (designed by McKinsey & Co.), employees are universally unhappy at TransAlta - the results were abysmal. Management has done nothing to address this.
    - Benefits; no longer competitive relative to industry. More vacation time and flex days at Capital Power, Enmax, and TransCanada. No health spending account. Dental coverage is Blue Cross
    - Pay increases are minimal, or non-existent
    - Poor training; not a good place to learn if you're new to the industry, due to time constraints of senior staff members

Advice to Management

See 'Cons'

9. "Everyone is encouraged to innovate"

Current Employee - Manager in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Manager in Calgary, AB

I have been working at TransAlta full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is an exciting time to be part of the TransAlta team. The company is transforming due to the Coal to Gas transition and focus on growing Gas and Renewables.

All employees are encouraged to bring ideas forward to improve the companies performance and culture - I have implemented many, the system in place to do this is world-class. Once an improvement is made, employees are rewarded - it's timely and specific recognition - we know how our work makes a difference.

Our team is engaged and energized which leads to a great working environment. Senior leadership trust that we know the internal and external trends that impact our function which allows our team to implement great ideas with very little red tape.

Anyone who wants to help a company transform and be part of history would fit well at TransAlta.

Cons

Consequence management can be improved to ensure business processes are being used consistently across the company.

Advice to Management

Stay focused, we are on the right track. Keep working hard to build trust and listen to employees.

"Seeing it from the Production Side of the Glass"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wabamun, AB
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wabamun, AB

I have been working at TransAlta full-time

Pros

Plenty of time off as long as you "forget" to charge your phone.

Cons

I've been with this company for 4.5 years now, and the second I get a job opportunity elsewhere, I will be seizing it. As long as you don't work for a part of the company responsible for actually making money (production), I think you'll absolutely love it (as many of the reviews here seem to suggest - ie. Stakeholder Affairs - whatever that means). Those in the plants, making sure that we actually do what we're supposed to, ie. generate electricity, get trampled and beat into the ground by new and innovative ideas while having what the company calls "leaders" crack the whip from behind. Management's idea of motivation is asking for self-imposed deadlines and then losing their minds when these deadlines aren't met due to conflicting priorities which crop up incessantly. All of these frustrations are compounded by a revolving door of front-line HR personnel, who report into an increasingly disconnected management structure who would appear to have no understanding of what it takes to operate older coal generating assets.
    I could get behind an organization that struggles with leadership, as it's not an inherent trait in most people. It takes practice, patience, and persistence to get right. But the absolute worst part is the communications that get pushed out, which are completely oblivious to the realities to the front line, and are quite frankly, insulting that while the operative phrase is "cost efficiency", the company spends money on communicating disjointed and contradictory messages to its employees.

Advice to Management

Understand the first and second order effects of the incentives that you give. When you're telling your front-line employees that you value their contributions and feedback, but then turn around and hold middle management to the fire as opposed to supporting them with much needed resources, who do you really expects feels the full effect?