Trail Appliances AB/SK Reviews

Updated Aug 30, 2021

Found 36 of over 36 reviews

3.7
Trail Appliances AB/SK President Wally Broderick (no image)
Wally Broderick
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good place to work

Aug 30, 2021 - Journeyman Plumber in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

Steady work Easy to train and grasp job

Cons

No raises No room for advancement

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Worst place to work

Aug 4, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get paid at least. newer building was nice and some people are ok to work with.

Cons

Backward company. If you are not a Broderick then you are worth nothing. You have to kiss butts to get anywhere and even then. You are treated like garbage. They really don't care about their employees and it shows in their high turn over rate.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work, if they keep you.

Apr 16, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work, great co-workers, very easy to mesh into the job especially if you have prior experience. Family owned company and members work in all aspects of the business including CSR. Sales managers, admin, and warehouse workers are great and respectful to CSRs. Honestly one of the best places i've worked in my 10+ years of being in the workforce, even if it was only for a couple weeks. I even recommended an old co-worker to apply for the position that was created after I was let go.

Cons

You unknowingly are walking around on eggshells the first 3 months, learning how to tip-toe around specific employees (salespeople who like to handle their own invoices) or rules so you don't get shafted. For context as to why I think this- I was overqualified, had the job down, got all my work done and was a, in lack of a better term, go getter, liked all my co-workers and to the best of my knowledge they all liked me, and I went in one day 2 weeks in and was suddenly let go, when asked if it was anything I did, twice, I was told both times that nothing I did was the reason. Edit: I've seen lots of reviews about how only men (specifically white men) are promoted or given any responsibility. What I noticed was actually the opposite, the men were all T1's, the lowest tier, often doing the busy work and able to talk inbetween tasks and customers coming in while every T3 was a woman and taking everything that was more difficult than the average. None of the people in CSR were an issue outside of the manager although one T3 was extremely pretentious and thought they were too good for the position and acted like such.

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. We are definitely concerned about the negative experience you had while employed with us but glad you listed some positive experiences as well. We encourage all our team members to speak with their Managers, or with the HR team, so we can explore and address these problems while still employed with us. The Customer Service Representative position is an entry level role at Trail Appliances. It is also a role from which many of our team members get promoted to more senior roles or tier’s within the organization. We are very proud of the team who manages this department as they have a record of training high performance individuals to fill more senior roles (sometimes as early as 6 months into employment)!

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Family

Feb 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great supportive, collaborative teams. Employees are valued and encouraged to learn and grow within the company. Great family feel. All of these came in very useful during the pandemic where you felt job security despite the overall uncertainty surrounding us everywhere.

Cons

Not enough women in leadership

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. We are proud of the fact that our senior leadership team is comprised of approximately 42% women leaders. Trail Appliances is a family-owned private company and it is our competitive advantage that so many of the family continues to work in the business at all levels, from our warehouse up to our President. They bring with them a passion for the business and a wealth of knowledge about the industry.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Company to Work For!

Jan 29, 2021 - Mechanical Services Administrator in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

When you work for Trail you really feel like a integral part of the business. The management team here takes the time to get to know their employees and making sure they are not just a number. The work culture is great! This company really supports growth and new opportunities internally for their employees. There is always an opportunity to learn new things and grow your skill set, training in new areas is always encouraged. Ownership is present throughout the company, and making sure their employees feel appreciated and valued. From my personal experience, I have left the company to try to peruse new career options, but ended up coming back to Trail because of how much I enjoyed working for this company.

Cons

Like all retail situations you deal with the public, so there are challenges. And like any job there can be moments of high stress.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great company to work for

Jan 29, 2021 - Administration in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

Positive and friendly environment that makes you want to be a part of the team. Owners are involved in the company, helpful and supportive. Hours are good, and wage is competitive.

Cons

There is Limited opportunity for advancement

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. We are glad that you found Trail to provide a positive, friendly, work environment during your tenure. In regard to your comment on advancement, all positions within Trail Appliances are posted internally to allow equal opportunity for all employees to be considered based on their experience, skill and performance. All roles are posted internally, and all internal candidates are contacted to discuss their application. If this did not happen or if you feel you have been passed up for an opportunity for which you were reasonably suited based on experience and skill, please do bring that forward to Human Resources and we can discuss that further with you. We appreciate your feedback regarding yearly reviews and will take this into consideration while striving to continuously improve our ways of working.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great colleagues

Jan 15, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is friendly, even the senior management

Cons

I don't have cons for now

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Nice company, but organized chaos.

Jan 8, 2021 - Shipping/Receiving
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Fun coworkers with a good atmosphere -Safety oriented company -Management wants to give customers a good experience -Pay is alright for the work involved.

Cons

-Sometimes stressful working environment, a never ending parade of problems tends gets thrown at you. -Procedures are often ignored/not followed when they aren't convenient, leading to lack of critical communication and upset customers. Most store level management seems to be too busy filling in for understaffed departments to actually try to fix these problems. -Employee training seems to be lacking in some areas. -No apparent room for advancement.

1 person found this review helpful

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. We are definitely concerned about the negative experience you had while employed with us but glad you listed some positive experiences as well. We encourage all our team members to speak with their Managers, or with the HR team, so we can explore and address these problems while still employed with us. Customer service is of upmost importance to Trail, and there are times that procedures are altered to meet those priorities. In those times when we chose to alter our standard procedures, there are occurrences we do not communicate to all internal stakeholders appropriately. This is something upon which we continue to work, and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention so that we can continue to improve processes while still maintaining our steadfast commitment to superior customer service. We do experience staffing shortages, like all businesses, from time to time. That is why we put so much importance on cross training individuals and we value that our management can step in when needed. Our management teams are never to busy to help our teams within the business when needed. We also employ a number of contract Warehouse personnel to ensure that we are able to flex up and down as needed so as not to put undue pressure on our warehouse teams. At Trail, we emphasize the value of teamwork and collaboration as we truly understand its importance in our day to day activities (which means you will see management working in the business often).

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fake Manipulators only promote favorites mostly white people

Jan 23, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

None apart from stressing out customer service employees

Cons

Working and just breathing within the walls of this company drains the life outta you.

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. We are definitely concerned about the negative experience you had while employed with us. We encourage all our team members to speak with their Managers, or with the HR team, so we can explore and address these problems while still employed with us. With respect to your comment that only “white people’ get promoted, in reviewing our current roster of Customer Service Representatives (CSR’s), we have approximately 42% of employees who are not Caucasian. Also, in reviewing recent promotions within the CSR team over the past 9 months, I can confirm that approximately 58% of the promotions were given to employees who were visible minorities. If you feel you have been passed up for an opportunity for which you were reasonably suited based on experience and skill, please do bring that forward to Human Resources and we can discuss that further with you.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent

Sep 15, 2020 - Wearhouse Worker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers are great, high paced enviroment.

Cons

Don't have any that come to mind

Viewing 1 - 10 of 36 Reviews