Top Hat Employee Reviews about "quotas"

Updated Nov 20, 2021

Found 27 of over 410 reviews

4.0
Top Hat CEO Joe Rohrlich
Joe Rohrlich
Pros
  • "Hearing customers talk about the work they've been able to do using Top Hat is so motivating(in 75 reviews)

• "Awesome people, free lunch and snack, office is amazing(in 39 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Things move really fast at Top Hat and you can get lost in the fray(in 37 reviews)

• "impossible quotas (less than 10% of AEs hit)(in 27 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,892

960 Comments

Teachers

160.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Top Hat~527419
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Top Hat and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "quotas"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Sales

Dec 11, 2018 - Account Executive in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Product is easy to sell -A lot of career opportunity -Good changes to the comp plan. There's now a monthly draw. -CRO is excellent and very experienced -Phenomenal incentives (trips, money, restaurants, development and offsite training opps)

Cons

-Sales strategies are too short-term focused. They're improving this though. -It's not a 9-5 job to hit 100% or higher of your quota

6 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Current Employee

Top Hat

Nov 20, 2021 - Account Lead in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- great benefits - flexibility - people

Cons

- lots of change - quotas are not always achievable

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A great product that has potential but managed by clowns

Jul 11, 2021 - National Account Executive in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- you meet, for the most part, amazing, smart, bright and talented people - the office was a great place to work in - if you’re lucky, you’ll have the best manager on the floor - pre-pandemic: fly out to campuses, meet cool professors and actually make a difference in classrooms - if you’re liked and hit your numbers, easily promoted. Can build a great resume here - can learn a lot of hustling skills if you’ve never worked at a fast paced sales company

Cons

- all of the male managers don’t actually know how to manage people - the new CEO is a joke: claims to want diversity, apologizes for hiring his white, male friend as CRO and then “celebrates” that we hired a female legal exec, “but she’s good at what she does” ???? - diversity and inclusion has tanked: in order to “not hurt peoples feelings”, they candy coat things and don’t address real world issues that employees are struggling to cope with outside of their jobs. I’d prefer no DIB vs one that makes you feel even worse about where you work at - quotas are actually a joke and make no sense. One year, your quota is 150k, the next it’s $270k. What’s changed in a year to almost double a quota? - marketing is the biggest joke and clown show. No other company I’ve EVER worked at saw no leads unless they actually had no marketing team. Throughout my 3 years there, I saw maybe 2 inbounds come in - let’s talk about the shady rules of engagement. You have managers that will burn every bridge so that they hit their numbers, fudge the numbers of class sizes and completely steal a sale away from a rep due to class size changing, which the rep nor the professor has no power or control over. Imagine being the customer, building a relationship with the person helping you integrate this tool in your class and then it switches up just because the class size is different? It shows that the company doesn’t care about its users, and only their pockets. Not a good experience and definitely wouldn’t recommend to a colleague. - bullies are promoted to roles in management. This feedback is shared, seen and recorded and nothing is done about it so you tell me what this actually says about a “forward thinking company” - onboarders: I am sorry for how you are treated by everyone at the company. I am sorry that your risk pipeline is due to not your ability in getting a prof excited about the tool, but due to class size reduction, class being cancelled or not offered or even the professor passing away. Your renewal pipeline is always held accountable by you even though the above is NOT YOUR FAULT but this company says “well, you didn’t but your numbers so no bonus after taking on 100hrs a week back to back calls with people who have never used a piece of tech in their lives” - I don’t know who needs to do it, maybe marketing, but own up to your mistakes Top Hat. You’ve burned a lot of schools, partner schools even, and don’t even want to use you because your name is top hat and pestered the hell out of these poor profs just trying to teach and so their jobs.

15 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent

Jun 29, 2021 - Account Executive in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- minimal complexity in the sales cycle - lots of young vibrant personalities - solid tech stack - competitive base for SMB AE

Cons

- impossible quotas (less than 10% of AEs hit) - no room for growth - outdated sales tactics

5 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee

A good first job

Mar 9, 2021 - Client Training Specialist in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good entry level experience at a company that gives you lots of opportunity to grow

Cons

Personally, having a quota is very difficult for me. a Stressful amount of work. Very sales focused.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee

Toxic work environment

Feb 20, 2020 -  in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Catered lunch, open work space, happy hour on Friday

Cons

Glorified call centre with cliquey, judgemental culture. Could be cool if you’re looking to extend your college frat life experiences. Small percentage of reps actually fully attain quota and there’s turnover every 6 months.

13 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Very dishonest company

May 27, 2019 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunches, fun social events, you work with your friends and get solid benefits.

Cons

Not only does this company pressure people into writing positive reviews and lie to their job candidates about the amount of sales people hitting quota, they also lie to reps internally about target attainment at town halls (as if there isn't a revenue dashboard to look at). The company has reached a point where the old strategies of having extremely aggressive growth tactics (which has had us blocked at too many institutions to count) no longer work and its painfully clear that they don't know where to go from here. Reps are indirectly discouraged from taking more creative and less aggressive outreach strategies because if you're not hitting your number of dials and emails a day, you're lazy and that's why you're not hitting quota. Top Hat is a great place to work if you want to have fun but don't expect your success to last too long.

12 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Moving in the Right Direction

Nov 1, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are incredible, they're smart, talented and driven to succeed. The work is challenging and rewarding. The perks are good.

Cons

Majority are not hitting their quotas although management is making moves to correct that. Lots of overtime in order to achieve goal.

5 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Use Top Hat as a steppingstone, but no more

Nov 13, 2018 - Account Executive in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Lunch is catered daily 2. Good people, I’ve made a lot of friends 3. Lifestyle spending account 4. Great culture, work life balance 5. New comp structure is pretty good

Cons

1. Unrealistic quota expectations - the company turns a blind eye to this, but your success and whether you hit your quotas is largely dependent on what territory you’re given and the specific schools you work with. Every employee, past, present and future, has and will receive the same cookie cutter training (another con) and access to the same resources to “help” them succeed at their job. However, there are many schools that simply aren’t receptive to Top Hat, and in that case you’re out of luck. Many former employees have quit or lost their jobs at Top Hat due to this. 2. Management often refuses to listen to its’ own employees - there is a lot wrong with Top Hat’s go to market strategy, namely in its’ outreach to prospects and how that relationship with a prospect is fostered. Ideas on how to best serve a potential customer or changing of sales processes and approaches are often shut down, and that person is reprimanded in some way. 3. General poor communication across the company - this goes from top to bottom, management doesn’t speak well to everyone, sales and product, product and customer success, customer success and sales all don’t speak well with one another. The amount of lost deals is staggering. 4. Forced into aggressive and downright stupid sales tactics - get ready to make at least 100 calls and send a similar amount of emails on a daily basis. This is due to one of the company’s mantras being “aggressive growth”. This behaviour is what has gotten the company literally blocked out from any form of communication to an institution. ***Now all of this being said, if you keep your head down, do the work, keep up with the high velocity and high activity, and don’t let all the negative aspects sink in. You’ll be looking pretty good to make your next move to a better company. You’ll have all the right habits, and have the thickest skin from all the rejection you’ll receive at Top Hat.

10 people found this review helpful

Top Hat Response

Chief Revenue Officer

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I appreciate (and agree!) with a lot of what you observe about working at Top Hat. It seems a common theme throughout your feedback concerns a lack of listening on the part of sales leadership, and that's something I take very seriously. While the company has made significant investments in improving the tactics and cadence of communications across the company, we can always do a better job. In fact, listening to and applying employee feedback has been the basis of many of our recent improvements in the sales organization, but I may not be hearing everyone. Please connect with me directly at john dot hood at tophat dot com so that I may learn how to make sure every team member is heard.

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Terrible for transparency & Communication

Jan 5, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team atmosphere & outings. It is easy to get close to everyone which makes the terrible job bearable. It is actually the only reason I stay

Cons

The management is young and inexperienced. Sales quotas change, the content team as a whole isn't reaching quota. Huge lack of transparency into what is actually going on They always push for internal referrals but rarely hire them Lower managers are left in the dark which leaves teams in the dark The goal is to have a low turnover, however, their turnover is currently 17% Sales staff are given PIP (performance improvement) with no intention of actually helping them improve They push in the interview process that people are always there to help, however, I know many salespeople that have asked and not received help. I would join for sales experience if you have none and leave ASAP. Engineering and operations are fairly good.

10 people found this review helpful

Top Hat Response

Thank you for your post, we appreciate this feedback and are listening. We are sorry to read that things aren’t going as expected but we are happy to hear you enjoyed spending time with your colleagues and some of the perks. It sounds like we have the opportunity to continuously improve in communicating as we grow at a rapid pace. We’ve prioritized sharing our strategic vision and growth plans with employees and how we intend those goals but we will ensure we focus on ensuring the message is heard.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 27 Reviews