Cover image for Thumbtack

Thumbtack

Engaged Employer

Thumbtack

Add a Review

Thumbtack Employee Reviews about "thumbtack"

Updated Nov. 2, 2021

Found 55 of over 502 reviews

4.3
Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta
Pros
  • "A healthy work-life balance is also super important to me(in 42 reviews)

• "Amazing company, great benefits and great working environment(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "growing pains, so 1:1 time with manager isn’t as frequent as it used to be(in 28 reviews)

• "They don't offer any 401K matching(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

70 Comments

Tech

469.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Thumbtack~414078
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Thumbtack and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "thumbtack"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good

Nov. 2, 2021 - Technical Sourcer in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, benefits, and food

Cons

there no cons at thumbtack

Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for the review. We wish you the best of luck with your new adventure!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Wonderful company to work for!

Jul. 27, 2021 - Advanced Support Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Thumbtack is a great place to work, they care for their employees, they have a great culture, even working remote. I have worked here over four years, and plan to continue working many more. They have excellent benefits, they care about their employees mental health and work-life balance. They have many perks for their employees, especially after going full-remote. There are great opportunities for growth within the company, and you feel welcomed, and appreciated for your hard work.

Cons

I don't have cons to share. I truly love working for Thumbtack. I work hard, and I expect that I would work hard.

Social Media Support Manager

Wow, we're so happy to read this amazing review. Thanks for sharing your Thumbtack experience. We appreciate you and all of the hard work you've put in over the years.

3. Join the Thumbtack team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Cool office spaces but poorly trained managers

Apr. 30, 2021 - UI &Amp; User Experience Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- above average base pay - splurges on company schwags - millennial culture - founders are smart and people-oriented

Cons

- there is racism in every department, even in other office locations, cheaper labor is preferred but they will not treat employees equally - business decisions were influenced by emotions instead of objectivity, several people in the Salt Lake and Philippine offices were laid off - some of the schemes are mere plots to scam customers and this causes Thumbtack to lose revenue

1 person found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

Diversity, equity, and inclusion are very important to us here at Thumbtack. We continue to incorporate more initiatives from our DEI team into every aspect of the business and bring awareness to concerns in the company to resolve them. The feedback you have provided here is very valuable to us as we are always open to feedback and looking for ways we can improve the user experience as well as the employee experience.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Do you really want to play for the New York Jets?

Mar. 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible PTO policy. Quarterly stipend to spend on the platform. Health care coverage is great and maternity/paternity leave is competitive with other tech companies. Benefits are the only thing making me give the company 2 stars as opposed to 1 in this review.

Cons

You'll see several reviews left in early 2020 from disgruntled employees that were laid off due to COVID. While it may seem easy to dismiss those reviews given the circumstances, but let me give you a review from an employee that spent several years at Thumbtack and survived COVID layoffs. You'll see that the feedback given by those employees that were laid off is valid feedback and should be taken into consideration when deciding what kind of company you'd like to work for. I'll keep this as short as possible but I think every potential hire has the right to hear what it's really like working at Thumbtack. I'll start off by saying that every month or so Thumbtack sends out a survey to employees and one of the questions is, "would you recommend Thumbtack to a friend?" For at least the last year my answer has consistently been "no". If "strong no" was an option then that's what I would be selecting. Thumbtack doesn't care about your career growth. You're simply a cog in their machine. There is a total lack of career mapping and leadership never discussed growth opportunities with me despite asking to have the conversation many many times. If you ever decide you want to move on from Thumbtack you will be replaced by another cog that is less qualified and will do your job for less money since Thumbtack doesn't like going out and backfilling positions externally--they will find someone internally that can fill the gap. They very much operate with a "next up" mindset. They then underpay those employees because they have less experience or are less qualified but fully expect them to carry out the responsibilities of those employees that have left. Despite how long you've worked there, you can very well expect a "don't let the door hit you on the way out" attitude from the company if you decide to leave. The product team operates in their own bubble in San Francisco and regularly pushes out product updates with no warning or education regarding the updates being rolled out. This leaves support and success teams floundering when discussing product changes with Thumbtack customers and businesses on the platform. The sales team is a runaway train at this point. Thumbtack will do everything necessary to continue growing the sales team and they will provide whatever is necessary to scale and grow that team. If you're expecting internal support then be ready to fight sales for resources since they are priority #1. There is a revolving door of leadership at Thumbtack. Leaders come in and often don't stick around long when they figure out how things are run at Thumbtack. Expect change often as you'll likely have new leaders regularly. In my experience, leadership is also extremely out of touch with what is going on with their respective teams. They are so underwater with outstanding tasks or projects that limited support and unfulfilled promises are very much the norm. I'll wrap this up with an analogy: if you're a top draft pick in the NFL draft and you really want to win a Super Bowl, do you really want to be drafted by the New York Jets? You'll only go so far with a poor coach, bad ownership, and a lack of a gameplan. Plus, good luck getting another team to look at you if you hang around long--being the best player on the New York Jets isn't necessarily impressive. Now cue the Thumbtack damage control team with a standardized statement about how they are grateful for my time at Thumbtack (or at least I'm hoping they respond since no one ever thanked me after several years working for the company).

15 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

We hear your concerns and we don’t want to tell you something that doesn’t sit well with you. We have directly passed your review along to our people team. Even though it may seem repetitive to you, we are grateful for all past, present, and future employees that leave reviews here. We truly wish you all the best.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place to Work

Feb. 22, 2021 - Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Thumbtack really cares about its people and has made very visible efforts to make sure benefits are fair and equal across locations as much as possible. Thumbtack has great benefits and flexible time off, they support you in having a life outside of work. I've always felt that Thumbtack was an inclusive place, I've always felt welcome and comfortable being myself. Overall there is a great culture and they support the person, not the employee.

Cons

As Thumbtack has grown, the opportunity for growth within the company has gotten slightly more difficult. There may be a wait before a significant career advancement opportunity presents itself. I think this would be the case for any quickly-growing business. However, they do a great job of supporting skills and educational advancement so you can always be improving even if there is not a promotion readily available.

Social Media Support Manager

We truly value the thoughts and feedback you've provided here and we've passed it along to the appropriate teams. Making sure each person who works at Thumbtack feels they have the opportunities they need to advance their skillsets and career is very important to us. It's such a joy to hear that you've felt comfortable to be yourself here and we hope everyone who joins us feels the same. Thanks for sharing your kind and helpful thoughts. We look forward to your continued impact here at Thumbtack.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Time and Culture

Feb. 23, 2021 - Team Lead in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Thumbtack was a home and a wonderful place to work. The people were everything and were why I stayed even as time changed the mission and vision of Thumbtack.

Cons

Once good people started being treated badly by new heads of department coming in, I started to really dislike working for thumbtack and was sad to see so many wonderful people put out by Thumbtack after years of loyalty.

3 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

We've been through a lot of changes over the years and it's important to us that those who have been with us through it all know they are valued. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We've passed it along to the appropriate teams to look into further. We're so grateful for the time you spent with us here and we wish you all the best in the future.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Steady Decline Over the Years

Feb. 2, 2021 - Operations in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are incredible and kept me at Thumbtack for many years. Team members are generally very smart and good at what they do. And of course, the work Thumbtack is trying to accomplish is inspiring and the opportunity for success is big.

Cons

Leadership, specifically Marco. Over the years I've watched him transform from a humble, easygoing co-founder, to a CEO that seems angry and annoyed when anyone questions him. it's been hard to watch him make mistakes impacting hundreds of people and prioritize money over small business owners that are hurting. Unfortunately, Thumbtack leadership as a whole has a long way to go. Women and other underrepresented minorities don't have a seat at the table. And there really is no excuse for that. Another problem they have is their product. Their product vision is a mess. I'm all for pivoting and trying new things, but many of the experiments and updates teams roll out equal a poor user experience and rarely benefit the end user. Another issue I had working there was career development. They make a lot of promises but rarely follow through. The requirements for promotion also vary across teams and roles and isn't consistent. The reasons they give for promoting one person, but not another don't make sense.

14 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

We agree that the work we do is inspiring, and we want to be sure we have our pros and customers best interests in mind as we work to accomplish our goals. We value the feedback you’ve provided about how we can better support our employees through DEI efforts and clearer expectations. We’ve passed your comments along to the appropriate teams. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us and we wish you all the best.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work!

Dec. 2, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I started working at Thumbtack right out of college, and I couldn't think of a better place to kick-start my career. I still can't believe that I get to work for such an amazing company and do what I love every single day! It was really important to me that I found a company that actually lived their values, and I can confidently say that Thumbtack does. Our values are at the foundation of everything we do. Something else I really appreciate is how open and honest our senior leadership team is. It's not common to work for a company that is so transparent, so it's very refreshing. Thumbtack really cares about their employees, especially through the pandemic that we're facing. They've given us extra paid holidays to support our mental health. They also hold workshops to learn more about mental health, healthy habits for working from home, empowering women, and so much more. They even have fun yoga classes taught by a Thumbtack pro, which is my personal favorite! This is just a small glimpse of the benefits you get for working here. Overall, I love Thumbtack. I can't wait to see how much I will grow by working here!

Cons

As of now, I haven't seen any cons of working for Thumbtack.

Social Media Support Manager

It's such a joy to hear we've been able to help you kick-start your career and do what you love every day. We're always working to find ways to support our employees and foster an environment where we can learn and grow together. We strive to live up to our values every day and we value employees who do the same. Thank you for contributing to our Thumbtack culture and keep up the amazing work. We look forward to seeing the impact you will continue to have in the future.

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Unless you are planning to work in SF, stay away!

Nov. 4, 2020 - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generous PTO. Good medical, paternity, maternity benefits. Some of the staff who believe in a transparent, collaborative, employee and customer focused workplace are still employed. Fair compensation. Condones work life balance. Flexible work from home even before the pandemic. Health and safety of employees are a priority.

Cons

No longer customer focused. Sales is pushing increased revenue, but Thumbtack is purposely employing so little staff that customers wait excessive amounts of time for issues to be addressed. Older female employees do not last long here. The majority of women in senior leadership older than 40 has been pushed out or laid off by the "moral compass". Anyone with the audacity to disagree with People Ops becomes a target. Marco condones individuals in People Ops who bully, make derogatory comments publicly about employees, and have extreme integrity issues; even calling them the company's "moral compass" . All escalations of inappropriate behavior in People Ops have been brushed off possibly not even looked into. Disciplinary action is not equitable. Someone can steal thousands of dollars and still be employed while someone else will be terminated for far less. Customer support is no longer a collaborative entity. One person controls all meetings. One person speaks through the majority of these meetings. Managers were even told to stop having one on one meetings with each other. Planning used to be a collaborative process with employees on several levels providing ideas and input. Now one person creates all planning initiatives and dictates them to the team. Input from anyone at a "level" beneath Director level is routinely ignored. Titles are more important than actual knowledge. Turnover has increased exponentially in Salt Lake. The atmosphere is now that of a typical outsourcing call center. Constant back to back contacts with no end in sight. The hierarchy of San Francisco as most important, Salt Lake as 2nd class, and Philippines as 3rd class employees has returned.

13 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

We always want to support a collaborative environment while promoting a good work-life balance here at Thumbtack. We are sorry to hear if you’ve felt a shift in our priorities for employees or our customers. Maintaining high levels of customer support while ensuring that our employees are heard and cared for is very important to us. We know that the best ideas can come from anyone at any level in our company and we value all feedback. You’ve made some concerning comments about our culture and work experience, we’d suggest you work with your own manager to voice this feedback. We’ll pass this along to ensure that your voice continues to be heard. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us here and we’ll keep striving to provide a workplace where our employees can thrive.

11. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Perform at your best and you still get shafted

Aug. 24, 2020 - Sales Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food. Thats the only positive thing I can say.

Cons

I was on the sales team. It was a bit of an adjustment to my past jobs but not anything I couldn't do. I hit quota every month just fine. During the fall of last year they started hiring so many new sales representatives. We were all concerend they were growing too quickly. They assured us they weren't even though we all knew it wasn't a good idea. Then they started firing people left and right. Then COVID struck. My team had the best sales out of all of the other teams and almost every single one of us had a PR in sales. My whole team but 2 people were laid off. Explain to me why the best sales team from March would be the ones chosen to lay-off? Under all of the pressure of the first month of quarantine and working from home, cut the only team that made record sales and worked the hardest? Not logical but thanks Marco. I can't even begin to talk about how emotionless Marco was when laying off his employees. It was a Zoom call and then immediatly after, our laptops shut off. We couldn't say bye to anyone, didnt know who else was laid off, was not sure what was going to happen next... So inhumane, so disgusting. I tell everyone I know to never go near Thumbtack if you are looking for a job. They make you think they care by giving you free food but when push comes to shove, they don't care about you :) so find somewhere better, trust me, it is easy to do. Try Mcdonalds. Im sure you'll get free food there and some more respect.

13 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

We understand your frustration on how saying goodbye to 250 team members was executed. This is feedback our team has received before and we are taking action on it. Ensuring each team member is taken care of is always one of our top priorities and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts. We thank you for the time and effort you put into your position with us and wish you the best.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 55 Reviews