ThoughtWorks Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.2
ThoughtWorks CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
Pros
Cons
  • "Travel can be taxing to work life balance over time(in 44 reviews)

• "uma empresa aberta, que escuta feedbacks e busca entender o que as pessoas est(in 34 reviews)

1. "Work with the Greatest Mind"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

You have the opportunities to work with some great minds in the industries on some of the coolest projects. Compensation and benefits are great! Employee retention rate is out of this world

Cons

If you have kids and family, 100% travel is not ideal, or you might have to relocate to big cities like NYC so you have enough local projects And there is no annual bonus, they instead pay a little bit more on annual salary

Advice to Management

Keep P3 seriously and you will keep attract the great talents

ThoughtWorks2018-09-14
  2. "Leading agile consultancy, aspiring to do more"

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You get to work on challenging projects, with strong teammates from around the world.

Cons

You may have to travel extensively, depending on your home office and the varying client load.

Advice to Management

Find more ways to support remote work. Lead on this.

ThoughtWorks2018-08-09

"TW"

in Toronto, ON

I worked at ThoughtWorks for more than a year

Pros

Great people, travel, little structure/management

Cons

Sometimes toxic culture, ambiguity, not great clients, very little opportunity for growth if you aren't a developer

ThoughtWorks2016-04-01

"Good intentions, variable execution"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

Some of the smartest people I have met work for Thoughtworks. There are also plenty of motivated people who have interests outside of their specific job. Discussion of social issues is encouraged, which is very refreshing for a tech company. They are very considerate when it comes personal matters. New grad training is in India and paid, which is excellent.

Cons

The traveling lifestyle is not for me. The culture is sometimes too strong and can come off as being dogmatic. There are lots of opinionated people so disagreements can arise, though are usually handled fairly well.

Advice to Management

Keep striving for thoughtfulness and transparency. Overall management has been pretty good, but issues arise when decisions are made and the process has not been transparent enough. This is especially true for individual cases rather than big, company wide changes. It is also true when there seems to be too much subjectivity and the opinions/biases of one person has a disproportionate affect on their career path.

ThoughtWorks2015-09-01

"Technologist"

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The real reason to work at ThoughtWorks is the people. Even after over a decade with the company, I have to say the majority of the people here are decent human beings trying to do the right thing. A new hire recently described ThoughtWorks as "like coming home" and that really resonates with me too. Even after a decade, the highly technical core of the company is still here. It's the reason I joined -- all my... friends came here, people I respected, it was just the place to be. And that hasn't changed, although the "how" of doing software well is still evolving. It's not just hardcore technical stuff, there's a bunch of pushing the envelope around process with things like Continuous Delivery. And if you look at the newest things -- Lean Enterprise springs to mind -- the "how" of doing software in an increasingly technological world is right where we play. I like that we have a real agenda around social change. It's not the usual SCR crap with a tiny amount invested, we literally put a double digit percentage of our revenue directly into making the world a better place. Hospital systems in developing countries, an Ebola treatment app for a quarantine zone, a system to help refugee kids find their families. Significant stuff done in a very meaningful way.

Cons

The easy stuff: You can get more money elsewhere, you can get a job that doesn't require you to travel elsewhere, you can probably get a more defined career path elsewhere. More nuanced: Anyone who says that we're a "flat" organization hasn't really been here very long -- we're human, like everyone else, and we build networks, we have favorites, we make mistakes. There's implicit hierarchy. Some of my friends... and colleagues have been frustrated that we aren't perfect, but I think it's better for us to admit we're not rather than sell people a line. At the end of the day, it's a job, it's not perfect, but that's why we get paid to do it.

Advice to Management

I think we should stay the course. We've done something very difficult, which is to ride the line between making money and trying to be decent human beings. I think we succeed in that more often than we fail. I think our impact in the world is significant, both in the technology space and beyond. I also think we need to strive to continue to be competitive. The world is changing, the nature of work is changing,... we need to change too. It's very common for folks to leave and cite "travel" as the reason, and I think we need to redouble our efforts there. Do we really always need to be on the ground with our clients? Are there other models? Can we get there faster?

ThoughtWorks2015-04-28
  6. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at ThoughtWorks has been an absolutely amazing experience. I've worked shoulder to shoulder with the brightest minds in technology today, met and worked with my heroes, and travelled the world (India, Africa, US, Canada), all while solving amazingly interesting, super tough challenges with exciting technologies.

Cons

Travel is often amazing, but sometimes a drawback. If you're willing to travel for ThoughtWorks however, it opens up your career to the global market, which really increases the quality of the work you have access to.

ThoughtWorks2015-04-28

"Grad Software Developer"

I have been working at ThoughtWorks

Pros

Interesting work and a cool company

Cons

Bad experience with interview process

ThoughtWorks2015-03-09

"Interesting place but has a lot of issues"

Senior Software Consultant

I worked at ThoughtWorks

Pros

I worked with some great and even a few exceptional people, learned a lot, had some fun times, some nice benefits, great way to see/hear about different areas of the software business.

Cons

It can be vaguely cultish, you are pretty much expected to LOVE Thoughtworks and be 100% on board with their way of doing things. Especially when it comes to Agile ideas, lots of dogma here. They are constantly pushing how great it is to work at TW, this really bugged me after a few months. Lots of corporate politics, they claim they are above them but in some ways they are as bad or worse than their corporate... clients. There are also quite a few people around who have been with the company for a long time and form an 'in crowd', how well you do in the company has a lot to do with how how good your relationship is with those people. This can mean the difference between getting a raise, promotion, good work assignment or not. Feels very Frat house like and not in a good way. Thoughtworks markets themselves both externally and internally as being an elite company with top developers. As a result of this the are quite a few people with very inflated egos who make sure everyone else knows how great they are. If you ask the wrong question or like the 'wrong' technology they will belittle you. Think obnoxious people on forums, IRC, etc, it can be bad. The pay is not that great, they expect you to work longs hours and go over and above for the company without compensation. Getting stuck on a weekly flight commute sucks, a 4 hour flight every Monday at 6 am and Thursday at 9 pm gets miserable fast. The travel can be fun but few people enjoy it for more than 6 months to a year. Developer turnover is high, a lot of unhappy people, I have never worked for a company with such a high level of employee misery. There is a weird contrast where you have people who are very positive and then people who are miserable and sometimes the same person will display both depending on the situation. That can happen anywhere but at TW it is on a whole new level and comes with the consulting territory I guess.

ThoughtWorks2015-03-23
  9. "A great first software development job"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are plenty of talented and passionate people here to learn from. They have offices all around the world and can be good about letting you transfer. If you show initiative they like helping you move into positions with more responsibility. The company structure is relatively flat so you don't have to deal with people whose sole purpose is to climb the ladder.

Cons

TW is good but not all of the clients are, so you could end up on an awful project. People there say that there's a very openminded, transparent culture and it's not completely untrue but it seemed to me that you'd better share everyone's general opinion or keep quiet. The pay relative to how much you get billed out to clients for can be bad.

ThoughtWorks2014-06-05

"A company which truly values humans more than profit."

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, competitive salaries, encouragement and support to travel to other countries if you want to. Some of the best technical people in the industry. A CEO and President who really care about you. Actively trying to target 'aligned' clients e.g. Charities, NGOs etc.

Cons

Not a lot spent on training, though you are encouraged and supported to grow, in your own time. Travel and hours (especially in North America) can be long, may not suit people with families.

Advice to Management

Some more transparency on expenses, there is a feeling that some people take the p*ss while others martyr themselves.

ThoughtWorks2013-02-22