The North West Company Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Found 89 reviews

3.4
The North West Company CEO Edward S. Kennedy
Edward S. Kennedy
Pros
  • "Good benefits great people to work with(in 6 reviews)

• "See Northern Canada, housing and utilities are taken care off, food allowance and great bonuses(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours not much training available but(in 9 reviews)

• "Senior management no longer in touch with head office employes (ivory tower)(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at The North West Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good benefits, and a competitive salary

Cons

None that I can think of

The North West Company2019-07-29
  2. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The North West Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working in Northern Canada was the adventure of a life time Amazing people A chance to advance quickly Excellent compensation pkg

Cons

Want to be closer to home

The North West Company2019-09-09
  3. "Very old company and run as such"

Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at The North West Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, you can pick your benefits package level which is nice

Cons

There are no break rooms on each floor, you need to use the restaurant on the third floor, so even if you want coffee or to rinse out your Tupperware you need to go to the third floor (and the coffee must be purchased) I’ve never worked anywhere that doesn’t offer their employees a standard office kitchen on each floor. There’s only one communal washroom per floor and they’re constantly busy and uncomfortable... because they’re so quiet . You hear a lot of things .. when they recruit they seem to spin a very different story than what the position actually is. My position is by no means titled an admin job but that’s truly what it is. I was told I’d have flex time , also not the case . Once HR o boards you you’re mainly on your own and good luck. I was expected to on-board someone and I’ve only been there a month . It’s a terrible cycle. They seem to have a hard time with turnover mainly of younger people, there’s a lot of baby boomers who work there but I imagine as they retire turn over will be an even bigger issue since it’s an old company and it’s not run very modernly the way younger people expect . If you like traditional , older companies with lots of people and sort of a Groundhog Day feeling , then you’d be fine here.

Advice to Management

Add background elevator music in the washrooms PLEASE. You need kitchens- even small ones- on each floor. Managers need to properly onboard people and also should know what Recruiting is offering the people who they hire so they sync up and aren’t completely different things . Get with the times , need to modernize policies and procedures.

The North West Company2019-09-11
  4. "Great Company to Work for."

Current Employee - Financial Services Administration Manager in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at The North West Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Travel Opportunity and great cultural experiences.

Cons

Isolated and or very remote Locations.

Advice to Management

More communication needed between Head office and Store locations.

The North West Company2019-08-01
  5. "Worst Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Tech Support in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at The North West Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Location is on main street and accessible by bus, Forks is next door and great during the summer

Cons

- Clumsy and uninspired management - Pays below industry standards and boasts "benefits package" makes up for it, which is again... below standards - Absolutely outdated and irrelevant training material - Staff members are generally on edge, unhelpful and typically miserable - Very high staff turnover, constantly people leaving and coming, more so than ANY other employer I've had

Advice to Management

- Replace the entire "Store Connect" team from top to bottom

The North West Company2019-08-23
  6. "Great place"

I have been working at The North West Company part-time

Pros

- Staff - Compensation - Time management

Cons

So far I have not discovered any

The North West Company2019-06-03
  7. "Make sure you're sure"

Former Employee - Grocery Manager in Hay River, NT

I worked at The North West Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots to see in Canada

Cons

Under paid and long hours

Advice to Management

Come work with them for a mth.

The North West Company2019-06-23
  8. "Poor employer"

Current Employee - Manager in Fort Smith, NT

I have been working at The North West Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is good, provide housing

Cons

Micromanagement, no work life balance, forced to work long hours only pay you for 8 hrs. Must work 7 days a week,

Advice to Management

Should show respect to employees needs. Pay employees for the hours they work. Steve Small is very mean to all employees.

The North West Company2019-06-22
  9. "Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Assistant Category Manager in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at The North West Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dynamic and interesting work environment. Great if you're looking for a change of pace. Differs from a normal office job in that you're always tackling a new challenge. Good benefits andl awesome ammenities on site including a bistro, gym, bike room, and nap room. Very diverse group of employees. Being situated next to The Forks is an added benefit.

Cons

Salaries tend to be on the lower end of market average. Select managers can be overbearing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. It's nice to see some fresh ideas being incorporated throughout the company.

The North West Company2019-05-15

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The North West Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Like running your own business. Independence to a degree. Structure. Security. Always something new and changing. Money in the Bank. Experience different cultures

Cons

Like running your own business. True merchants only. High degree of Common Sense. Staffing issues, longer hours, isolation from extended family.

Advice to Management

Deal with the bad apples and issues sooner than later.

The North West Company2019-03-24