The Mason & Hanger Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 21 September, 2018

3.6
Ted Daniels

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sr. Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA (US)

I worked at The Mason & Hanger Group full-time

Pros

Convenient building is right off highway. Newer business park close to walking trails. Benefits.

Cons

Work in a silo.
    High volume workload.

2. "Sr Financial Analyst"

I have been working at The Mason & Hanger Group full-time

Pros

Easy access to office from highway

Cons

not very inclusive. Many folks work in a silo

"Designer"

I worked at The Mason & Hanger Group full-time

Pros

Encourages personal improvement, half day Fridays with deviated schedules

Cons

After a merger of companies, MH just doesn't have it together yet.

"Dull Engineering Experience With Corrupt Leadership"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer EIT in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer EIT in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I worked at The Mason & Hanger Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Pay is good for the area
    -The company policy of flexible work time is nice
    -Relatively frequent travel is required, so if you like travel, you will have the opportunity to do it here
    -Overtime is paid for

Cons

I was in the EE department as a engineer-in-training. I will preface this by saying, A/E is not the career for me. I found the work repetitive, boring, and unsatisfactory. That said I will base this review on the experience of working there, not the actual work there. I will also note that I left of my own volition to pursue better opportunities.

My manager was small-minded, racist, and bigoted. As a white male, in a group full of only white males, I felt it hard to go to the HR manager about this, but on road trips, in weekly meetings, and in general interaction, there was a habit of commentary on his part that was offensive and unacceptable in a modern work place.

From a work perspective, the company operates on a pseudo-contract basis. Employees charge time to specific projects (all military) and each employee had a minimum of 2-3 projects, and sometimes many more. However, as a new employee, I often had no work. It was my manager's goal to have me work with a specific Professional Engineer (PE), but I discovered later that this PE hoarded his work in an effort to make himself appear more indispensable. This in turn made it appear that I was a slacker, and forced me to charge 'unassigned' time on my timesheet. When I went to the department manager repeatedly for work, I was turned away. However, said manager often insisted I not charge unassigned, trying to force me to charge to government projects even though no work was being done. Creativity in billing was encouraged throughout my time at the company.

One "pro" of the company was the flexible work policy, but the policy itself required manager approval in advance, and regular hours had to be posted. It was not a "work your 40 hours and go home" policy. On multiple occasions I was accosted for showing up late by 15 minutes (7:45 am instead of 7:30 am). There was an expectation, though, that employees would take on overtime work, but if you were 15 minutes late, you were admonished.

Other cons:
    -No sick leave, inflexible vacation limits
    -No training opportunities whatsoever

Advice to Management

Look past the popular group and make sure your people are quality contributors. Reinvest in the talent in the company by providing training to new employees, rather than expecting overloaded engineers to be able to devote the time to proper training themselves. Exhibit flexibility. Enter new markets instead of relying on the uncertain funding from government military infrastructure development. Allow employees actual flex time by giving starting and ending windows, instead of rigid times.

5. "Great company!"

I have been working at The Mason & Hanger Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mid-sized family company with family values orientation and an all round friendly work place.

Cons

Specialized company. Needs to divest into other construction sectors. Especially important for survival in an increasingly shinking construction market.

Advice to Management

Step up diversity efforts with client & sector type.