The Institute of Cancer Research Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

The Institute of Cancer Research Chief Executive and President Paul Workman
Paul Workman
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Postdoc in a rapidly growing team"

I worked at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time

Pros

Facilities - superb! Within Breast Cancer Now one has access to a wide range of equipment that is relatively well maintained, it's rather well organised.

Cons

People and management. As always, depends on a team, but some (senior) staff and PIs have been getting away with appalling treatment of more junior researchers. Not very progressive in thinking, very hierarchical, not a lot of scope for innovation.

Zero career progression opportunities

Advice to Management

Introduce penalties for poor management and unfair treatment.

2. "Postdoctoral Fellow in Cancer Research"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Sutton, London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Sutton, London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

World leading cancer research institution with pharma-like structure. Multidisciplinary and collaborative approaches to drive projects. Highly educated and motivate staff. Essential links to clinical trials at Royal Marsden Hospital.

Cons

Limited career progress. High staff turnover.

3. "Higher Scientific Officer"

Current Employee - Higher Scientific Officer in Sutton, London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Higher Scientific Officer in Sutton, London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Locations and colaborations with RMH

Cons

Some poor management in some teams

5. "Good working environment"

Pros

Good working environment with all the pro and cons of being a no-profit academic institute

Cons

No sport facilities on site (Chelsea) and lack of good benefits apart from good pension scheme

6. "Lots of great things to say, a good work life balance. Top research research institution internationally recognised."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sutton, London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sutton, London, England (UK)

I worked at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Top quality research, great people to work with and good facilities. Gym on site, as well as lots of clubs.

Cons

Some processes are lacking when compared to industry. There is limited career progression unless you move. Site management are not the best.

Advice to Management

Restructure

"Too many office politics"

Former Employee - Research Management Accountant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Management Accountant in London, England (UK)

I worked at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of nice people in the organisation (other than the team i worked in).

Cons

Too much office politics, gossiping and pettiness in the finance department. Not a nice work environment to be in because of this. Members of the team gossip constantly about each other when a member goes out of the room. No sense of professionalism.

Advice to Management

Get rid of negative bullying behaviour that currently exists in the team as it is poisonous and unhealthy. Certain members who have been at the institute for a number of years believe themselves to be some sort of authority figure when they are at the same level as you, they need to be put in their place.

"It is very good but it depends mostly on the group"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Real chance to do a goutstanding research. Optimal know how.

Cons

it depends mostly on which group. Some groups are really not as good.
    Very difficult to make career.

"Worse professional experience ever I do not recommend not even to my worse enemy"

Current Employee - POstodoc in Sutton, London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - POstodoc in Sutton, London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I guess the HR department asked a few long term employees to please write some good reviews to balance out the plethora of negative ICR ones. It's filled with backstabbers and of all the teams I only saw one that functioned properly without drama.
    There are a number of smart, talented, cool people there, but I'm at a loss to recommend anything specific about ICR as a company.

Cons

This place is terrible-only the partners who push work off to the minions will tell you otherwise--they have a financial obligation to keep up the charade.  I have never had an experience like ICR, and I hope to never encounter a workplace as toxic for the rest of my life. ICR site in Sutton in the middle of nowhere, with the worse link to city centre. Unfriendly workplace, absent mentoring, I don't know how the icr has the name as best research institute when is not.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the current management. There are huge problems with how certain aspects of the organization is being managed, evidenced by the very high turnover, worse place for your career. Hire human beings, and treat staff as an investment, not a means to an end. ICR is the worse research institute I have ever worked with. The HR dept filled with highly incompetent people. ICR praise team work, however such thing does not exist within its walls

10. "Long term employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelsea, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelsea, England (UK)

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worthwhile organisation, friendly and supportive atmosphere and colleagues

Cons

Career progression difficult due to small size of organisation, office space can be cramped and old-fashioned in places, travel to Sutton or London when based at the other site can be stressful.

11. "PDRA"

Current Employee - PDRA in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PDRA in London, England (UK)

Pros

Excellent research based academic institution. Very resourceful and has good connections with hospitals around London. Has latest equipments and does cutting edge research.

Cons

usually staff are contracted with very less scope for extensions. Stressful as the roles are result driven , no scope to grow or emrge as a researcher as we tend to work on stricit dealines