The David J. Joseph Company Employee Reviews about "djj"

Updated Aug 27, 2020

Found 14 of over 75 reviews

4.3
The David J. Joseph Company President Mark Schaefer (no image)
Mark Schaefer
Pros
  • "Great culture, enjoy working for DJJ(in 11 reviews)

• "very good pay for some positions(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Not really a con of DJJ but of the industry as it is hard to attract young talented individuals as scrap isn't perceived as a "cool" or "sexy"(in 7 reviews)

• "Upper Management treats employees without much respect(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "djj"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great Company

Aug 27, 2020 - Lead Software Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, enjoy working for DJJ

Cons

I don't have any cons

Recruiting Manager

Thanks so much for your feedback! Our culture is important to us and we are so glad to hear you appreciate it enjoy your time with the company!

2. 5.0

Wonderful Company to Grow and Advance

Jun 11, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The David J Joseph Company lives by their core values. Safety, Integrity, Respect & Excellence. Teammates are valued and encouraged to take ownership over their careers. You will get out of your career what you put into it and your opinion will always be valued and sought out. One of my favorite things about the company are the people I work with. DJJ has done an excellent job of finding some of the brightest minds in the business that are also very down to earth-a combination that doesn't always go hand in hand. This is a company to look at if you are a self-starter that wants to make an impact!

Cons

The nature of the scrap business is cyclical - the company does a great job of riding these waves but it is a good thing to be mindful of when joining the team.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great family/work life balance

Jun 7, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work life balance at DJJ is one of the reasons I was attracted to this company during my job search.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the feedback! We are happy to hear your experience with the company has been positive in your first year and you are experiencing a good work life balance. We value open communication and feedback so please always feel free to share with your manager or HR.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

The best company for young ambitious talent.

Sep 24, 2018 - Commercial
      Business Outlook

Pros

Starting from the top, they do what they can to make you successful. They are wiling to to take chances and put young talent in top roles of the company. You get real meaningful responsibilities that drive actual business results that are tangible. They don't have paper pushing roles. You come here to work and drive results on the bottom line and when you do, they make sure you are rewarded. The culture is fantastic. Some of my best friends were made working for this company. People come here to work hard and try to elevate others around them.

2 people found this review helpful

Recruiting Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! At our core, we recognize that developing and retaining talent is what is going to enable us to continue to be a best in class organization. We look for ambitious and motivated individuals who want to take a chance in this industry! It is wonderful to hear that you recognize and appreciate this-and also fantastic to hear you appreciate the culture!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Intern

Jun 11, 2018 - Intern in Cincinnati, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Company! Everyone here is so nice and welcoming and I never feel like I didn't belong. It is such a beautiful building, and parking is free anytime during the week or weekend, I have my own cubicle (which is great for just an intern) and everyone is flexible and willing to help me with anything. I am given actual tasks, not simply administrative work or getting coffee for employees. I absolutely love working for DJJ; I honestly do not think I could I could find a better internship.

Cons

DJJ is a company that has been around for a long time and does not have any social media. I would like to see them implement more social media in order to show people what an amazing company DJJ is and help recruit millennials.

2 people found this review helpful

Recruiting Manager

Thank you for feedback! It is so great to hear you are having an amazing internship experience at DJJ. We are committed to our intern programs across the board and giving college students meaningful work and a taste of the corporate world. It is also fantastic to hear you are experience the family-like atmosphere DJJ has fostered over so many years. We are very proud of our culture and our teammates. As a company we are continuing to explore various social media outlets to determine which are best for our Brand. Thank you for the suggestion!

6. 5.0

Marketing

Jun 12, 2018 - Corporate Marketing Manager in Cincinnati, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

DJJ offers a great work atmosphere, providing opportunities for continued growth and development. They encourage me to to use my creative skillsets to their fullest and; because of that, my position is very rewarding.

Cons

I would like to see the company become more involved in social media so we can connect better with today's new hires.

1 person found this review helpful

Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review and feedback! Growth, development and offering rewarding careers are extremely important priorities for DJJ, so it is fantastic that has been your experience throughout your time with the Company! Social media is an area the company wants to continue to expand into. We continue to vet the best options for a company like DJJ and greatly appreciate this suggestion!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Work Culture!

May 15, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love everything about DJJ! Everyone works together so well! They take the time to ensure you're a trained thoroughly. There is a huge emphasis on Safety and Employee Recognition. It's just a joy to be part of the team!

Cons

I have none so far!

4 people found this review helpful

Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy this has been your experience with DJJ so far. We are committed to Safety and value our teammates immensely! I am confident this will continue to show through in everything we do as a company!

8. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great Company to work for

Dec 16, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

The bonus potential is great. DJJ takes care of and cares about their people

Cons

I spent a lot of time in unnecessary meetings

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Strong, values-based culture

Sep 2, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company works diligently to abide by its most important core values of safety, respect, excellence and integrity. There is an unwavering focus on the safety of its people, doing the right thing and acting with integrity especially in difficult market conditions. People are given the freedom, autonomy, tools and training to make decisions. The leadership team expects to get candid feedback even when unpopular -- "bad news must travel quickly! The company culture has a collegial, collaborative and friendly feel to it and definitely puts its people first in its decisions. DJJ's core businesses -- metal trading and scrap processing -- are not widely known, but DJJ remains the market leader in the space. In addition to the core businesses, the company is involved in a number of adjacent businesses (alloy trading, railroad car trading, retail auto parts...).

Cons

The Nucor involvement/ownership has generally been positive but in order to continue to excel, DJJ needs to maintain a certain level of independence and its own identity going forward.

10. 2.0

Negative culture change

Aug 5, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flat organization allowing performance to be seen by senior leadership. Strong admin and support system for commercial team. Performers are noticed and embraced but not financially rewarded.

Cons

Failing business model, operations group constantly losing money, brokerage leadership driven by personal gain and ineffective. My experience of 10+ years with this company led to more and more let downs as I climbed the company ladder. Several promises were made to accept moves around the country only to never be followed through. As I gained more exposure to senior leadership (excluding CEO) it made me feel less confident in my career path and the direction our company culture is headed. For 10 years I was asked to pay my dues while weak bonuses and sub par 3% raises were given like clockwork and never based on merit. Since 2008 our leadership has been so focused on cutting costs and showing the shareholder (Nucor) improvement they forget their greatest asset, their people. DJJ will continue to lose quality people until a change in VP leadership occurs.

5 people found this review helpful