The Conference Board of Canada Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Aug 26, 2020

2.4
The Conference Board of Canada President and CEO Susan Black
Susan Black
Pros
Cons
  • "Several of the senior management and executive team members are known bullies, but HR has yet to address the issue(in 10 reviews)

• "For many years, staff have sought to diagnose what ails the Conference Board(in 6 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"Great work life balance and Employee Engagement"

Current Employee - Network Manager in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at The Conference Board of Canada full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Conference Board has been fully remote since March 13th when COVID measures were put in place. Our employee engagement and productivity levels have been great, maybe even better than when in the building so CBoC has decided to put the building up for sale and become a fully remote work environment. This is great for work life balance. The employees are putting in extra effort to connect and empower each other. The executive team has implemented several working groups to look at all areas of becoming remote and are committed to making it a good experience for all staff. The management team has really come together and seems to have weeded out all of the earlier issues from our organizational re-brand last year. I highly recommend working at the Conference Board.

Cons

Due to COVID-19 there are some temporary lay offs and spending measures that had to be done. I’m sure when we come out of this all will go back to normal and measures will be undone.

"Don’t fall for their pitch of future improvement. Quality of work is less important than playing advanced politics"

2.0
    Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at The Conference Board of Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

The People and the topics of the work. Work/life balance and compensation. They offer personal development as they bring in different training on different topics. They have monthly meetings to update everyone. They have hired very talented, educated staff.

Cons

Lack of coaching. Simply give up if it isnt working. Many good people with good talent have been let go. If you know one of the executives and were hired by them, you will do fine. But if you are not in their click - it wont work. They have all the buzz words of what is important but no delivery on the vision. What is behind all of their words is a very political environment that says one thing but does something very different behind the scenes. I fell for this workplace, even though I had read the reviews as I thought the reviews were from disgruntled employees (as I am used to this) as a seasoned manager. I also thought that with my success from the past, I could align to their vision and I could positively change things and grow with the company. That is not the case, very good people are let go.

Continue reading

"Great work life balance"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at The Conference Board of Canada full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexible hours and great work life balance - Friendly knowledgeable staff - great benefits and vacation

Cons

No cons, great place to work.

"Bullying is Welcome"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at The Conference Board of Canada full-time

Pros

Nice colleagues, good work life balance, opportunities to learn and try new things and pay can be decent depending on your role.

Cons

Bullying is welcome at the Conference Board of Canada and it regrettably starts at the top of the organization. Numerous members of the Executive Team have been the subject of bullying complaints in recent months and while each one of them remain in their roles, most complainants have been ushered out the door under the guise of cost-cutting, obsolete skills, or the complainant having an attitude problem. You would think that our new President's HR background would serve the organization well but she has weaponized her experience to shape the organization to her liking. Those that adopt a "win at all costs" mentality are getting ahead under her while genuinely good people are ushered out the door. Bullying has been commonplace at the Conference Board for years and while the organization has often been late to respond, it has in the recent past removed culprits. Under the new regime, this is yet to happen despite egregious cases of a VP, C-suite staff, a director and an associate director running riot knowing full well the President has their backing. In one particularly egregious case, an employee complained about their VP's behaviour and then weeks later that same VP sent out an email informing us that employee had been terminated. What message does that send? Perhaps it will take another "APTN News" scandal to shock the Conference Board for appropriate action to be taken. For now, the bullying continues and there is no recourse for staff.

"Administrator"

I worked at The Conference Board of Canada full-time

Pros

Excellent work/life balance at this organisation.

Cons

No direct bus route - needed to catch 3 buses.

"Awesome Company"

5.0

I have been working at The Conference Board of Canada full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined CBoC recently. The new mission and values of the company are great. Moreover some great pros are: -- Amazing People -- Friendly Atmosphere -- WFH and work life balance

Cons

None, Even if you feel any cons here, company will work to fix it.

Continue reading

"Sadly, this company has gone downhill"

1.0

I have been working at The Conference Board of Canada full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-You work with smart people. -Somewhat interesting topics to research. -Decent work-life balance and ability to work from home. -Great networking opportunities.

Cons

-Everything is all about the bottom line, no emphasis on the quality, content, or impact of research. -Secretive and hap-hazard decision-making by top and middle levels of management. -Not much opportunity for advancement. -Researchers and others are treated as disposable. -Little or no training or continued learning opportunities. -No trust between researchers/economists and leadership. Culture of fear and stress is very prevalent. Very poor two-way communication. -TERRIBLE, below industry standard pay at every level except for executives (they are the only people who got a raise in the last few years). -Benefits aren't great, no bonus for several years. -The very definition of a top-heavy organization. Countless executives and directors that add no value. -Some evidence that research ethics are not being adhered to. -Board of Directors is all volunteers and they don't know the company's product, let alone what is going on with management.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 7 English Reviews