The Conference Board Employee Reviews about "non profit"

Updated May 5, 2020

3.3
The Conference Board President and CEO Steve Odland
Steve Odland
Pros
  • "Work life balance is a must for most of us(in 42 reviews)

• "Great access to member professionals; flexible work environment; upgraded technology(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "It is a non-profit as such the pay is at the middle range of the pay scale for many positions(in 12 reviews)

• "Senior Management has been in place for quite sometime with little or no changes(in 10 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "non profit"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A Company to Build a Career"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This is a great company to establish a long-term career (not simply a job), with meaningful relationships with coworkers and access to in-house thought leaders. Company values employees and offers excellent work life balance. The 100+ year company history and non-profit, non-partisan status attracts really smart and dedicated people. As employees leave to pursue new opportunities, they regularly tout this as the singular thing that kept them at the company for 10, 20, 30 and even 40 years!

Cons

Career pathing can be challenging with company size and hierarchy.

2. "An opportunity for unique experiences"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility Autonomy Learning and Development New Strategy The Conference Board is indeed a unique place. It is a smaller company which makes it easier to be exposed to most employees in the organization regardless of level. If you are an employee who is willing to participate in your own development and attempt to be engaged, there are many opportunities and possibilities at TCB. They aren't always promotions but so many rewarding projects that are directly or indirectly related to your day to day job. It is definitely a learning environment. There are collaborate and intelligent people throughout the organization and some of the brightest minds in the business.

Cons

Low Pay Constant Change This is not the place to get rich. It is a non-profit so the pay is often on the lower end. The flexibility makes up for some of that if you are a person who values that more. Senior Management has been in place for quite sometime with little or no changes. So while the outlook is bright with the new strategy and new CEO in place, there is sometimes a lack of accountability and effective decision making by leadership as they rarely seem to be on the same page.

"What are you people drinking and can I get some?"

2.0

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Remote work is a plus -Most employees are nice -PTO is decent**

Cons

-No career growth...but that's probably due to TCB being a small non-profit company -PTO is decent but it doesn't roll over to the next year -Remote work can be a plus but it's under your manager's discretion -Depending on your department, you can have an awesome time or you can worry about your job when you see co-workers coming and going (a forever revolving door). -Also depending on your department or role, pay isn't bad but it's not good enough for people to stay, especially the younger end of the spectrum. Especially at the rate and percentages our wages increase per year. -TCB is also very...clicky...This person who posted "The uptick in positive reviews are from people drinking the company kool-aid" pretty much sums up how TCB is. I feel like I don't have any type of comradery like certain departments have yet I feel grateful that I can fly under the radar. Easier to leave a place when you don't have any attachments.

Continue reading

"Strong Mission, Purpose and Vision"

5.0

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time

Pros

I've been at The Conference Board (TCB) for 5 years and I think the organization is moving in a very good direction. The things that first attracted me to TCB were the history and non-profit mission, the kind of research TCB conducts and a wealth of expertise, and the type of clients that TCB helps. Having witnessed several changes, I can now say that they were beneficial for the organization. TCB is poised for growth. Employees and executives are friendly and always willing to help others. It is a good place to develop yourself, meet people and build relationships in a professional setting, and help clients improve their businesses. I am excited to see where TCB goes from here and to know I am a part of that.

Cons

I would like to see our various teams and departments more integrated with each other. This will help us better serve our clients and build stronger relationships.

"The Conference Board"

5.0
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Flexible/Remote Work Schedule -Non-Profit -Friendly Work Environment -High Commission % -Benefits

Cons

Small company; fewer promotion opportunities

"New energy and focus is what this 100 year old non-profit needed"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance has always been a draw but over the last couple of years there is a new market focus that has made the work more interesting and much more than just a lifestyle choice. having had a number of careers, it is always better to be in a place where input into change is solicited rather than dictated. Leadership and structural changes have moved the ball from and torn down some of the prior dysfunctional silos. A positive culture with a lot of good people out to work together rather than against each other.

Cons

It is a non-profit as such the pay is at the middle range of the pay scale for many positions. The prior lack of market outreach has often made brand recognition a challenge.

Continue reading

"The uptick in positive reviews are from people drinking the company kool-aid"

1.0

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. Work/life balance- the ability to work remote* 2. See 1. *If your manager is agreeable to that sort of thing. Otherwise, pleasant fellow employees, sometimes?

Cons

There are a lot of employees who have swindled their way into higher level positions at The Conference Board that are classic HR red flags. However, they are well protected by The Conference Board's "family" culture. Like some of our personal families, we have that one "crazy"relative , and as a "family," we overlook their abnormal personalities. Upper management turn a blind eye to their bad attitudes or immature professionalism for the sake of "family." It's clear there's a revolving door in certain positions and it's really sad to watch new people come in and barely last 10 months in the role. The company emphasizes on hiring internally... only to reject internal candidates in favor of new people who have little background of the political nature of the office. (READ: unless you're relatives or buddy buddy with someone higher level at this company, don't expect to get promoted). A non-profit company like The Conference Board preys upon people who seek a work-life balance and gives them too much work for too little pay. Steve Odland as the new CEO has certainly provided some new exciting energy, but at the end of the day, our executives would rather spend the time protecting their own butts and throw someone else under the bus. Needless to say, if you get lucky and wind up working for a good manager, your experience will not be so bad. However, for most of us, that is likely not the case.

Continue reading

"Old-boy network, enabling of bad behavior among top leadership"

2.0

I worked at The Conference Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Non-profit with great mission and a long (100+ year) history of providing great research and conferences/meetings on human capital, economic, and corporate governance issues. They have many talented staff and the work is very team-focused. NY office facilities are very nice and located in midtown Manhattan, but they also support remote work/working from home.

Cons

I left The Conference Board because of what I experienced as inappropriate and hostile behavior of a top leader toward me--and the lack of understanding or support from the managers between us. I am a woman of color and originally worked for a subsidiary of The Conference Board and reported to management how I felt mistreated and bullied by the subsidiary's CEO, almost immediately after starting to work there. Nothing was done to correct the bad behavior. It took the main office another year to (quietly) move me out from under the boss and up to report to the parent company. Another 1.5 years later, the boss I complained about is promoted to lead the whole organization, with no input from staff. (Jon Spector is no longer CEO; it is Steve Odland now.) Many staff have left the organization over the past few months since he has taken over. It's been hard not to notice that the departures have been disproportionately women, but I do not know all the reasons why those other women chose to leave. I know at least one other female colleague of mine left for largely the same reasons though--for the behavior of top leadership and frustration that this persists because senior leadership and the board of directors are all good friends (who like to give each other, or each other's friends and family, jobs). From my perspective and in my opinion there is a lot of hypocrisy and two-facedness at the top of the organization: The Conference Board outwardly promotes best practices in diversity and inclusion, women's leadership, succession planning, and corporate governance and social responsibility--and the leadership puts on a good outward/public face. But how people are actually treated behind closed office doors is a completely opposite story.

9. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Conference Board full-time for less than a year

Pros

work life balance, non-profit culture and focus

Cons

limited growth opportunities, low pay

"Starting out in non-profit"

I worked at The Conference Board full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Small non-profit, intellectually stimulating environment, decent benefits, flexible

Cons

Dysfunctional senior management, publishes research product and organizes many conferences on management practices but do not practice what they preach.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 English Reviews