The Challenge Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Oliver Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work they do makes a difference to the young people they work with (in 14 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities for entry level staff to move up or across the organisation (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Some people complain that there is a lack of support for staff especially considering the responsibility we have for young people on the program (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours and outrageous contract terms with terrible compensation - working well over the contracted hours (in 7 reviews)

"Insular company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Challenge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young, vibrant, sociable company with a great mission.

Cons

Senior staff are in their position because of time at company not capability of post. Some are incompetent. I was bought in because of my many years experience together find that my boss then promptly ignored most of what I said and asked me to so things his way, despite having no experience in my field. A project was dumped on my lap die do management oversight and, despite data suggesting thrbtarget was utterly unrealistic and I had nonextra resource to deliver it it's touted as a 'failure'. No one has spoken about my development for a year. No one took me seriously when I raised my concerns about my boss or this project and instead told me I needed to be more 'resilient'or. I feel undervalued and uncles for.

Advice to Management

The Challenge is absolutely leaking staff - some really talented experienced professionals have left. Stop blocking ideas and help people grow no matter no long they've been at the company. Sort out HR and systems. Sort out the building - we lack basics like door handles (!) and constantly battle blocked sinks and cold/hot offices.

2. "Great place to gain experience quickly but poor staff welfare during delivery periods"

I worked at The Challenge full-time

Pros

Main programme's aim is very worthwhile (NCS)
    Given lots of autonomy from the get go, meaning you learn quickly
    Supportive, sociable colleagues

Cons

Summer months are very intense with lots of weekend working

Advice to Management

Stop growing the programme
    Better communication channels needed between different levels and teams

3. "Programme Leader"

Former Employee - Programmer Leader
    Former Employee - Programmer Leader

I worked at The Challenge (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly staff members who are very supportive. A great work environment. The work they do makes a difference to the young people they work with. The work is very rewarding.

Cons

They can be disorganised.
    The focus on targets for the number of young people completing the summer programmes means they do away with discipline and consequences for young people's who can behave as they like and will not be removed because the target number of young people completing the programme is most important. Discipline is not enforced on the programmes and this spoils them considerably.

Advice to Management

I would say to get back to the ethos of the programme from when it started. Don't force young people to come if they don't want to. Have young people on the programme who want to be there and are invested in the idea and cause of the programme. Protect those who want to be there by discipling and removing those who do not. What is the point in having a disciplinary process if your managers do not follow it? You will destroy what you are working hard to create and the great work of The Challenge will get cut short or fail to reach its potential.

5. "Amazing workplace!"

I have been working at The Challenge part-time

Pros

Wonderful office
    People are great
    Great sense of fulfilment
    Rewarding jobs

Cons

Large company
    Long hours as seasonal staff

6. "NCS The Challenge"

Current Employee - Assistant Programmer Leader in Wakefield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Programmer Leader in Wakefield, England (UK)

I have been working at The Challenge part-time

Pros

Extremely rewarding work. The programme implements a huge vision (social inclusion and better equipping young people of all backgrounds for their future) in a practical way that really works.

Cons

As with all rewarding posts, it requires a huge level of commitment, and can be exhausting. It's definitely worth the investment.

"Fun Office, Horrible Job"

Former Employee - Engagement Coordinator in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at The Challenge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office environment is fun, inclusive and laid back. My colleagues quickly became my some of my best friends. Everyone in the office is young, lively and passionate about the cause.

Cons

The work is incredibly dull and low level employees are actively discouraged from thinking outside of the box. There is a very rigid hierarchy which is particularly frustrating given the lack of experience in management and the disorganisation of the charity. There is a huge culture of feedback, but this feedback often has little to do with professional development/the job and comes from managers who are not well trained in giving feedback. Many employees feel micromanaged and powerless to instigate any positive change in the organisation.

Advice to Management

The Challenge has a reputation of being horrifically disorganised and this is perpetuated by your silencing of lower level staff and hiring management based upon their experience in the organisation rather than their experience full stop. You need to hire more externally experienced managers and listen to your staff working tirelessly on the ground.

8. "Community Mentor"

I worked at The Challenge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great diverse work environment; gain experience of leading a classroom of young people.

Cons

Little support from senior mentor or senior management team

9. "Amazing place to work!"

Former Employee - Engagement Coordinator in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at The Challenge (Less than a year)

Pros

great environment, they are always making activities and fun thing for people to hang out and get to know each other

Cons

The salaries are not the best but are good considering the workload.

10. "Great organisation to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Challenge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, mission, flexibility and work - life balance (depending on the department you work for)

Cons

Growing organisation so a lot of processes and standards are lacking, a very young workforce which can make the place look unprofessional, generally the leadership team is not as cohesive as it could be

11. "Senior post"

I have been working at The Challenge part-time

Pros

Young and friendly workforce offering socials

Cons

workaholic management expecting the same, constant changes, poor culture