The Challenge Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Oliver Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work they do makes a difference to the young people they work with (in 14 reviews)

• Culture, mission, flexibility and work - life balance (depending on the department you work for) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Some people complain that there is a lack of support for staff especially considering the responsibility we have for young people on the program (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours and outrageous contract terms with terrible compensation - working well over the contracted hours (in 7 reviews)

1. "Review for The Challenge"

I worked at The Challenge part-time

Pros

- friendly and relaxed, very fun and fulfilling

Cons

- can be long hours, very physical

2. "Brilliant place to work"

Current Employee - Engagement Coordinator in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Engagement Coordinator in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at The Challenge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant place to work. At The Challenge you will work with incredible, interesting and friendly people, striving for a really important mission. Would thoroughly recommend.

Cons

Can be quite samey after a you've worked a cycle if you work on the NCS programme.

3. "Lovely place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Challenge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, vibrant atmosphere. Everyone is very helpful and there is a range of skills to gain and improve.

Cons

Can be very repetitive at times.

5. "The challenge"

Former Employee - Engagement Coordinator in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Engagement Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I worked at The Challenge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed environment to work in

Cons

Unorganised and all over the place at times

Advice to Management

More professional

6. "Do it for the people, not for longevity."

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at The Challenge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture, the cause, the staff. You get a ton of experience for an entry-level role - but you pay for that with your mental health.

Cons

Very little support from management due to ever increasing demands from senior management, underpaid and over worked, expected to go way above and beyond the job description with very little recognition or appreciation from management.

We exceeded the Trust's targets for our summer season - yet were not made aware of this due to localised target pressure which lead to a dejected and demoralised team.

There is now redundancy for many of the key experienced staff due to restructure - of which my position is no longer attainable - which equates to an even higher lack of progression for bottom rung staff.

Advice to Management

Appreciating your staff goes a long way, paying them a decent wage helps too - particularly when they work minimum10 hour days in peak season. If you ride on the coat-tails of peoples good-will like you keep doing - you will collapse in no time.

"Insular company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Challenge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young, vibrant, sociable company with a great mission.

Cons

Senior staff are in their position because of time at company not capability of post. Some are incompetent. I was bought in because of my many years experience together find that my boss then promptly ignored most of what I said and asked me to so things his way, despite having no experience in my field. A project was dumped on my lap die do management oversight and, despite data suggesting thrbtarget was utterly unrealistic and I had nonextra resource to deliver it it's touted as a 'failure'. No one has spoken about my development for a year. No one took me seriously when I raised my concerns about my boss or this project and instead told me I needed to be more 'resilient'or. I feel undervalued and uncles for.

Advice to Management

The Challenge is absolutely leaking staff - some really talented experienced professionals have left. Stop blocking ideas and help people grow no matter no long they've been at the company. Sort out HR and systems. Sort out the building - we lack basics like door handles (!) and constantly battle blocked sinks and cold/hot offices.

8. "Great place to gain experience quickly but poor staff welfare during delivery periods"

I worked at The Challenge full-time

Pros

Main programme's aim is very worthwhile (NCS)
    Given lots of autonomy from the get go, meaning you learn quickly
    Supportive, sociable colleagues

Cons

Summer months are very intense with lots of weekend working

Advice to Management

Stop growing the programme
    Better communication channels needed between different levels and teams

9. "Programme Leader"

Former Employee - Programmer Leader
    Former Employee - Programmer Leader

I worked at The Challenge (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly staff members who are very supportive. A great work environment. The work they do makes a difference to the young people they work with. The work is very rewarding.

Cons

They can be disorganised.
    The focus on targets for the number of young people completing the summer programmes means they do away with discipline and consequences for young people's who can behave as they like and will not be removed because the target number of young people completing the programme is most important. Discipline is not enforced on the programmes and this spoils them considerably.

Advice to Management

I would say to get back to the ethos of the programme from when it started. Don't force young people to come if they don't want to. Have young people on the programme who want to be there and are invested in the idea and cause of the programme. Protect those who want to be there by discipling and removing those who do not. What is the point in having a disciplinary process if your managers do not follow it? You will destroy what you are working hard to create and the great work of The Challenge will get cut short or fail to reach its potential.

10. "Amazing workplace!"

I have been working at The Challenge part-time

Pros

Wonderful office
    People are great
    Great sense of fulfilment
    Rewarding jobs

Cons

Large company
    Long hours as seasonal staff

11. "NCS The Challenge"

Current Employee - Assistant Programmer Leader in Wakefield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Programmer Leader in Wakefield, England (UK)

I have been working at The Challenge part-time

Pros

Extremely rewarding work. The programme implements a huge vision (social inclusion and better equipping young people of all backgrounds for their future) in a practical way that really works.

Cons

As with all rewarding posts, it requires a huge level of commitment, and can be exhausting. It's definitely worth the investment.