The Brand Factory Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 15 November, 2018

2.4
Joseph Sulpizi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Joseph Sulpizi and Co? Maybe but I enjoyed my time."

Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Yorkville, ON
    Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Yorkville, ON

I worked at The Brand Factory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great environment. Very modern, slick offices, super comfy chairs, young and vibrant staff. Compensation is over industry due to timelines and demands on performance. Managers are very nice people, some are a bit out of their depth level like the Group Account Director but he is very nice and try's hard. The one major benefit is the lack of over
    time. The Managment especially the President does not like to see it. He worries it burns out creativity. Which is a super huge PRO.

Cons

The timelines are very intense. But the days fly by. There is a good team and the people are really, really great. I heard they got a new CD that is a big help for everyone I would imagine.

Advice to Management

Realize that people are people. They are not perfect and need help from time to time. While the President thinks he is running a pro team he has to realize that each team member won't score all the time.

2. "we"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at The Brand Factory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

people, management, growth, volume, intense

Cons

location, pressure, nation, versatility, best

"Worker"

I worked at The Brand Factory full-time

Pros

The location is stunning and is in a beautiful part of downtown Toronto.

Cons

You are working as a slave, they do not care at all about you and only want the work done no matter what the cost is. All the reviews are right, this place will take all your confidence and drain you mentally and physically. In my time there, I lost weight, I developed anxiety and went through an insane depression. There are better places out there with better hours and environment. The environment in there is just toxic and you're constantly stressed.

Advice to Management

Care for your workers, stop treating them like slaves.

"Eek."

I worked at The Brand Factory full-time

Pros

1. You can become very close with the people you work with, who make coming into the office every day bearable.

Cons

1. Work-life balance is non-existent. Mornings, nights, weekends - you are expected to deliver on completely unreasonable deadlines. Keeping in mind you are likely going to have your work shredded apart by Joe Sulpizi (more to come later), being motivated to work is nearly impossible.

2. Clients. Sure, they're are a bunch of nice people, but your clients are 90% stocked with friends of Joe who work within the real estate/luxury space. Sure, from a birds eye view it looks like TBF is cranking out new, innovative work; but it's not. They're forced to stay stagnant and robotic within their marketing efforts because that's "Joe's Vision". His relationship with sr. clients does not help in pushing your efforts forward.

3. Lunch. Did you know at TBF you're literally given a set 1-hr time period for lunch? You can't take it earlier, can't take it later. You go when you are told you can go.

4. The President. Joe Sulpizi is the largest issue at TBF. I have seen Joe's nice moments. Few of them, but they do exist. Outside of that, working for him - no matter how distant - is extremely difficult, and for some, impossible. There is no creative input - it's Joe's way or no-way. He sucks the confidence and motivation directly out of your body. That's not to say he isn't talented at aspects within advertising and marketing, but he sure as hell cannot efficiently run a company and/or manage people.

Advice to Management

Loosen right up, and understand the level of talent you have in that building. If you want to grow, get bigger and better then trust the people you've hired! I worked with so many creative and talented people who have not once had the ability to showcase their creative thought process and abilities. Open your eyes, back off and let people work.

""A chance to hit the ground running and work with an amazing team""

I have been working at The Brand Factory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-supportive teams
    -opportunity to suggest ideas
    -work/life balance

Cons

- generally no working from home

Advice to Management

- encourage employee suggestions/feedback on workplace culture & innovations

6. "Overall Good Experience"

I worked at The Brand Factory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good creative and great people to work with.

Cons

Owner can be difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

Try and treat everyone equally.

"Very irrational. Do not Recommend."

I have been working at The Brand Factory full-time

Pros

Pay is above industry standard but it comes with a cost

Cons

Work is sub par
    Little to no direction
    President is irrational and moody at best. Screams orders at most of the staff and will hire and fire on a whim.

Do NOT leave an agency role to come and work here. While the idea of working in yorkville for above average pay will lure you in, you have to be prepared to say yes to everything the president says ... or else.
    I overheard him several times threaten to fire staff that had been with him for years because of a "vibe."
    I ws warned before starting that working for this man was a nightmare but I assumed many were either scorned previously or overreacting. As it turns out, every nasty thing I had heard, including warnings in these reviews, were true.
    Do not be lured in by the money. Find an office who will coach you - there is no chance for growth here.

Advice to Management

Hire actual industry experts and let anyone else call the shots

"Abandon all hope ye who enter here"

I worked at The Brand Factory full-time

Pros

Location is central and accessible by subway. Offices are bright and slick. Surprising number of friendly and capable talent. For some, there is usually no demand for overtime. Best of all, you’re close to a bunch of legit agencies where you can more easily interview for a real advertising job.

Cons

One-man shops, without redundant layers, can be efficient places to create exciting work. Not this one. Ruled by a bully with no real understanding of strategy, insight, or process, the work is usually dragged down to subterranean levels of meaningless or insipid. (But it doesn’t matter because most of the work is for real estate which only becomes public after a project is pretty much sold.) All this would be OK for a while except the owner masks his ignorance and insecurity with aggression and insulates himself with toadies. If you have any doubt, you can probably do better elsewhere.

"Unappreciated"

Former Employee - Accounts in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Accounts in Toronto, ON

I worked at The Brand Factory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed environment with amazing colleagues.

Cons

Very rigid and not flexible, unlike many other advertising agencies - the boss's way or the highway. They take all their employees for granted, and doesn't treat us very well. No company culture.

Advice to Management

Take more time to develop a company culture and get to know your employees. This will incentivize them more to stay and work harder to help the company.

"Mixed"

I have been working at The Brand Factory full-time

Pros

- fast-paced environment, never really slow
    - friendly and competent coworkers
    - good office location
    - quality of work is definitely improving

Cons

- little to no change in the company, even after suggestions were made
    - simply 9-5 would be much better instead of starting at 8:45 or earlier
    - processes could be more organized. things can feel too rushed or psloppy sometimes.

Advice to Management

you have some great employees, keep their suggestions in mind to improve the agency and people's work lives overall