Ten Thousand Coffees Reviews

Updated Mar 13, 2021

Found 14 of over 14 reviews

4.3
Ten Thousand Coffees Founder  Dave Wilkin (no image)
Dave Wilkin
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company with opportunity to show your stregnths

Mar 13, 2021 - Marketing Manager in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Because its a young company you really have the opportunity to make an impact. Provide ideas, make recommendations on how to make the product and experience better for the end user. Definitely a company for people with a Get Stuff Done attitude who want to make a contribution to the company.

Cons

Not the place for someone looking to just clock in and clock out. If you join this company you need to have an entrepreneurial spirit and a roll up your sleeves attitude.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A chance build a legacy and make a real impact

Feb 24, 2021 - Vice President Product in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

- As a smaller organization, there's lots of opportunity for innovation. If you have a great idea for a new initiative or see an opportunity to do something differently, there's no bureaucracy, red tape or approval layers to get your idea implemented. This is unique versus other organizations I've worked in previously where it's harder to innovate and things move slowly. - We're creating a category, and there's so much need for our product. I really enjoy working on something that I understand and people get excited about. - The team is amazing. Everyone genuinely cares about one another and works very collaboratively. There's a lot of alignment between the team goals and how we work together to achieve them. - Lots of improvements to processes and People practices over the past year - performance management, getting clarity on our mission and vision and company OKRs, creating 10kc mindsets for success that have really levelled up how we work. - Good compensation, benefits and workplace initiatives like monthly wellness challenges - Permanent remote work means people can live with no uncertainty about going back to the office

Cons

- Working in a high growth company moving from start-up to scale-up comes with its challenges. It's fast paced, strategy and tactics evolve rapidly from one quarter to the next and there's not a lot of established processes. It takes a certain type of mindset to thrive in this environment. - Those who succeed come with a solutions-oriented mindset and are excited by the pace. You have to be comfortable working with some uncertainty, ambiguity and change, and want to contribute to continuous improvement as we grow. - As a small team, we're conscious of where we allocate resources, prioritization and focus are key. That means lots of great initiatives that we're excited about, we aren't able to do. - With big growth goals, it's a balance to prioritize achieving quarterly goals, like revenue growth and adoption, with longer term initiatives.

1 person found this review helpful

180 Comments

Tech

33.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-integrated-Reviews&utm_term=Ten Thousand Coffees~4308807
    Join the conversation on
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Make an impact at a start-up turning into a scale-up

Feb 26, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

• Get the opportunity to work at a company building an innovative, category creating product. • Very motivational to see the real impact the platform has on our customers and end-users. Especially at a time when people are craving connection as they WFH. • Small but mighty team is a great fit for scrappy folks. • Fun company culture and parties (pre-covid) • We're a bunch of ambitious people who want to win, but we also all recognize that winning means taking care of yourself and having some work-life balance. Support for this comes from the top of the company. • Executive team handled sensitive decisions around COVID extremely well. We're thriving now, but in March 2020 things weren't so clear. The way the leadership team transparently described decisions and trade-offs was outstanding. • Comprehensive health benefits.

Cons

• Unlike working at a bigger company, working here means sometimes you have to create your own structure and process to get things done. However, the company has made a lot of improvement in things like company vision and mission, OKRs, and performance management. • Smaller team means sometimes you'll be called on to do things outside the scope of your role. Some people find that exciting, for others, it can be difficult to adjust.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Small but mighty company with great vibes

Jan 13, 2021 - Revenue Operations Manager in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

- fantastic, hard working staff. Everyone puts in a genuine effort to move priorities and the company forward - solid product ready for our new found influx of demand - permanent work remote so you can so you can base your work around your lifestyle, not the other way around - open, honest, transparent place to work but also very serious about results - lots of trust which allows for autonomy

Cons

- small company getting itself poised for growth means that there's a lot of changes, but it's all with good (iterative) intention and depending on the individual, could be seen as a "pro" to own new responsibilities

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work and learn

Jan 12, 2021 - Senior Manager, Customer Success in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Top 5 Pros: 1. Incredible team 2. Amazing clients 3. Opportunity to be independent and work on novel issues facing a wide set of clients 4. Company culture and inspiring colleagues 5. Work on a product that actually helps users better their working experience

Cons

There are always drawbacks with small companies vs. large organizations. That being said, there is nothing that can't be overcome by taking initiative, charting your own path and delivering results.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A hard working, family environment

Jan 12, 2021 - Content Marketing Manager in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

- A big focus on mental health - senior leaders are always checking in and initiating fun challenges to keep us active. - Autonomy - the business is growing but is still small, so you get the trust and respect to 'own your own shop'. - Teamwork - there is a lot of cross-team collaboration and everyone is willing to help. The company seems to hire very friendly people! - Connections - with the product focused on virtual connectivity, this has also fallen over into the company culture. We are encouraged to have weekly informal virtual 'coffees' with colleagues to get to know them better and stay connected now that we are working remotely. - Good work/life balance - you're expected to work smarter, not harder, and business hours are respected. We've even been told to cancel meetings on a sunny winter's afternoon and finish early so we could get some vitamin D! - The founder and CEO, Dave, is extremely approachable and kind. He is a very intelligent man and works very hard, but hasn't forgotten the importance of looking after his team.

Cons

- Processes are still being made so projects can sometimes be messy. - KPIs don't always match up, company wide. - We currently don't have enough resources and need to grow our teams quickly (which we are in the process of!).

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Ideal place to work

Jan 7, 2021 - Enterprise Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

-purpose-driven mission and meaningful work -lots of growth opportunities -great culture: lots of fun team events, solid benefits, work-life balance, focus on well-being -amazing team of smart, inspiring self-starters

Cons

-lots of independence, so if you're someone who needs an always-on manager and guidance, it might not be a great fit -very entrepreneurial, not all roles are very process oriented, or these process are constantly evolving

9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Disappointing, slow moving and indecisive

Dec 4, 2020 - Marketing in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Ten Thousand Coffees has a great downtown office location with unique space and lots of plants. - My first director was a open and had complimentary experience, unfortunately they decided to leave the company. - Fun holiday parties at the office.

Cons

- There was no onboarding or even a product demo at Ten Thousand Coffees. - In my first month, an employee who seemed passionate about the product was very suddenly let go. The situation was handled very poorly by leadership and put the team on edge. - Almost every single commitment that was made by leadership to me personally and to the company as a whole was broken: I asked for connections to potential industry-relevant mentors (after a year, this never happened), bonuses were not paid out, COVID home office allowances were not given, after promising better diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives the company failed to do any bias training and exclusively hired white people, the list goes on. - My KPI's changed on a monthly basis arbitrarily. - As a result, it was difficult to get projects off the ground. Pair that with business strategy and budgets constantly changing and unnecessarily long research sprints. - I often felt like my second manager resented me and was really hurt to learn about how they talked about me behind my back to other employees. It was especially disappointing because they are on the senior leadership team. - Despite growing marketing channels and being on track with my KPIs, I was let go for "not performing" without any warning or performance improvement plan. This was announced to the entire company even though I was let go without cause.

4 people found this review helpful

Ten Thousand Coffees Response

Head of People

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to share your feedback about your experience. It is our hope that every individual in our organization feels enabled, and empowered to perform their work and to succeed in their individual and team goals. It doesn't sound like that was your experience, and I am disappointed to hear that. To achieve our goal of becoming the best informal talent development platform, and solving for talent challenges in this new age of work, it is imperative that our team is at the core of this mission. Change and growth in a scale-up tech company can be challenging, however we agree, we will only be successful if we continue to invest in elevating our work experience and people processes. Specifically, we wanted to share key action items we have taken over the last few months, and will continue to take, to ensure our team is supported and enabled: 1. We've invested in bringing on a full time Head of People to work with us on defining, operationalizing, and launching internal people programs and processes. These begin at the recruitment stage, focussing on ensuring we have diverse experiences represented in our talent pipeline, and an equitable process that is free of bias or barriers. 2. We have built and rolled out an onboarding program to support our high growth phase and to ensure our newest recruits have the resources, education, and access they need to perform in their jobs. 3. We’ve launched a new performance management process to ensure goals, and how to meet them, are clearly defined. All bonuses, related to these goals, were and continue to be awarded to our team members. 4. We've partnered with experts to support us with DEIB centred practices, training, education and resources for all team members, (inclusive but not limited to antiracism and anti bias training.) 5. We’ve engaged in a compensation review, to ensure our compensation packages are equitable, and in line with industry benchmarks and best practices. We’ve committed to actively review and make any necessary updates, on an annual basis. While only initial steps, moving forward, we will continue to be iterate and elevate our processes, with the continuous feedback of our team, to ensure we continue to enable all to thrive during their time at Ten Thousand Coffees. Once again, thank you for your comments, and taking the time to share your experience with us. If you have any thoughts or perspectives you wish to discuss directly, I would be more than happy to have a conversation, please do reach me directly, at erin@tenthousandcoffees.com. With warmth, Erin Haid Head of People

10. 2.0
    Former Employee

Bumpy ride

Dec 4, 2019 - N/A in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Passionate team Decent benefits, good office location

Cons

Inconsistent management & feedback Poor management of leave

4 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0
    Former Employee

Smart passionate team and great environment

Apr 28, 2016 -  in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work with some of the smartest people you will ever meet Humble, fun, and passionate team Beer o'clock everyday if you want Very laid back environment - you own your ideas and share with the team Very flat organization but has smart senior people who are great teachers/mentors No politics, gossips, or bad attitudes. Everyone's nice and take the time to listen to you Good balance of work and play. A lot of of overtime somedays but the rest of the time you can control your own hours.

Cons

A lot of work not enough time Will take a few years to grow More review and feedback process from senior leadership

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 Reviews