Ten Thousand Coffees Reviews

Updated Sep 20, 2022

Found 22 of over 23 reviews

4.0
Ten Thousand Coffees Founder  Dave Wilkin (no image)
Dave Wilkin

64 Comments

Tech

333.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Ten Thousand Coffees~4308807
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Autonomy and accountability. Low on Process

Sep 20, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Extreme ownership of high impact project is the default. The whole team has the autonomy to focus on what they believe is the highest impact problems

Cons

Low on process. If you want to be told specifically what to do everyday, 10KC is not the best place for you to work.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great team but proceed with immense caution

Aug 23, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Easy software to comprehend - Purpose is clear - Recruitment and interview process is world-class - Work from anywhere

Cons

- Lack of leadership and direction - Organization does not invest in their employees to succeed and grow their skillset. Lack of coaching is a huge weakness - No proper KPIs. Performance is not measured well, leaving employees wondering how well they are doing and feeling siloed - CEO keeps the company in the dark and answers long-term direction questions from staff with vague answers - CEO has a tough time taking himself out of the business and trusting his employees, which is well known within the organization - Huge disparity in compensation among employees, which is well known and creates friction - Organization centers around DEI but the team is not diverse without any clear plan to improve - Bias within the organization towards certain employees

5 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great culture with a rapidly growing organization!

Aug 2, 2022 - Vice President of Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing culture focused on rapid growth! As a leader in the informal talent development space, 10KC is backed with a great leadership team, amazing teammates and solid customer roster.

Cons

Nothing to share as a con.

4. 3.0

Dysfunctional but trying

Jun 9, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of really, really great people here. Almost everyone has the best of intentions and is really kind, funny, and great to hang out with. Amazing new HR people are really helping turn things around and hire good people— hope they can make a good dent, are trusted, and listened to. Really good, tiny but mighty product team.

Cons

Great people are held back by being put into boxes by leaders that think they know better. There are a lot of egos, and new folks are being told to accept the way things are done there rather than help introduce any kind of improvement. Most suggestions for improvement are met with hostility. Leaders themselves are half-baked and need help, won't accept help, take credit for their worker's projects and betray their trust, placing a big focus on harmful heroics rather than collaboration. Because of this, some of who I would consider being cultural "hearts" of the company seem like they are burning out, taking on way too much. For product folks, note that in 2021 competence and focus were much more on outputs than outcomes. Like many places through the pandemic, there is a struggle to adapt to remote work, with folks not knowing how and when to collaborate, communicate, and so on, but for that people on the ground level are making progress.

5 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good pay but weak management and processes

Jun 27, 2022 -  in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some great peers to work and learn from. Product is strong but needs a lot of work still. Compensation is wonderful and makes it worth working but that's the only positive thing about the company.

Cons

1. Weak HR- HR does not have any say in the process. They are here only to hire and onboard new employees. Once you start working, they are completely disconnected. No reviews, no discussions before you are unceremoniously let go. 2. Senior leadership is not on the same page themselves- CS Director is extremely arrogant and rude and sometimes over passes the CEO which leads to a lack of respect for the leadership team. They talk about Learning and Development so aggressively but do not practice it themselves. 3. Micro managing- It's wierd to say that at this day and age employees are Micro managed and left with no autonomy of their own. They want to dictate each and everything you do and are extremely critical almost at a disrespectful level. 4. Weak product use case- Their product caters to limited use cases and employees are expected to conduct regular meetings with Clients which should showcase the strength of the product, if you can't, you are reprimanded like a fresher. 5. CEO- Dave Wilkin is nothing but a high paid Salesman who only cares about selling their product. He is weak as a leader who cannot lead the team and does not involve himself in routine workings of the company. 6. Poisonous culture and weak processes- Due to the senior leadership's inability to lead the culture is becoming weaker by the day with employees only being their due to the compensation and benefits. Some sales exectuves who are here to do sales are kept for no reasons without producing even half of their salary worth of business in a year and others are let go or part ways with with out any formal performance reviews

6 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0

Great place to work!

Apr 29, 2022 - Digital Marketing Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing people - Supportive environment - Flexible work arrangements - Remote first work environment - Innovative product - Every role impacts the company and revenue - face time with senior leadership - Opportunity to share ideas and have them heard.

Cons

- Start up, and a fast paced and high volume of work. Which can be a lot for some but it’s also exciting and gives you the opportunity to learn and advance your skill set. If you’re not used to fast pace and rolling up your sleeves it’s a con but if you thrive in ambiguity and start up culture it’s a pro!

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

I feel like I have a family here and like I am making impact!

Feb 11, 2022 - Human Resources Professional
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been at 10KC for a few months now and I can honestly say that making the decision to come here was 100% the (absolute) right thing to do! We have an amazing company culture, an amazing team, and an environment that fosters learning, creativity, and authenticity. For anyone looking for reasons why they should join our team...here are just a few (of the many) reasons that I think make our company so special: 1. People are kind and thoughtful. Top down, from our CEO and People Leaders, to our entire team, people treat you with respect and they are kind. For example, I had a senior manager on our team who was in a different city offer to order me soup and have it delivered one day that I wasn't feeling well. This kind of compassion and thoughtfulness is very rare to find in companies, especially right now. 2. We use our products and practice what we preach. For example, we have coffee chats and are introduced to new team members to connect with weekly and we can use these times as opportunities for mentorship or to just catch up and feel a sense of belonging. 3. Everyone here is extremely passionate and really want to change the world! We believe in what we are doing. 4. We encourage and value Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging. You see this in our team make up, culture, our products, and our hiring practices. 5. You never feel alone here. In a remote work world, the days can sometimes feel longer than they are. However, I have never felt alone here as there are always opportunities to communicate with team virtually or in person (depending on your level of comfort, of course). 6. Opportunities for growth and development are always there.

Cons

No cons that come to mind. This has truly been an exceptional experience and I can't wait to see what we do next!

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0

CEO is Allergic to Negativity

Jan 19, 2022 - Account Executive in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Their clients think they have diversity, equity, and inclusion but they don’t. It’s a racist sexist company.

Cons

The CEO David is “allergic to negativity” as he puts it. He is referring to knowing how poor people live in third world countries. It’s sad to see someone blessed with big million dollar deals like him be so entitled to his wealth and think that poor people is a negative thing. Karma.

7 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Great culture

Oct 27, 2021 - Enterprise Account Executive in Montreal, QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and amazing climate for collaboration

Cons

I don't see any cons given that it is a startup still

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company with opportunity to show your stregnths

Mar 13, 2021 - Marketing Manager in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Because its a young company you really have the opportunity to make an impact. Provide ideas, make recommendations on how to make the product and experience better for the end user. Definitely a company for people with a Get Stuff Done attitude who want to make a contribution to the company.

Cons

Not the place for someone looking to just clock in and clock out. If you join this company you need to have an entrepreneurial spirit and a roll up your sleeves attitude.

2 people found this review helpful