Technorati Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Shani Higgins
  1. "Destined to close"

Former Employee - IT Engineer, Senior in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Technorati full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice environment. Lots of food and drinks. Excellent view of downtown SF. Loved those hotcakes!

Cons

Waste of resources and money. Absurd expenses in nonsense things. Lack of confidence in their employees. Lots of time consuming and boring meetings.

Advice to Management

Instead of wasting money in video arcades, tread mills or billiard tables, should have given away in gift cards to employees. All that money waste was one of the reason of their debacle.

Technorati2019-05-29

"Not worth your time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Technorati full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employees generally make good friends

Cons

Culture of long in-office hours - forget working remote Awful benefits Strange roles all rolling up to one Director - too many under "product" and not enough separation to address operations, development and product marketing If you're not a technical person, prepare for your responsibilities to change often

Technorati2015-12-29

"Good work experience, terrible company"

I worked at Technorati full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to advance quickly, flexible hours, fully paid health insurance options, good hands on experience to then leverage for a better job

Cons

Dismal pay, they try to make every raise part of your bonus instead of your base, mediocrity is celebrated, company cannot keep up with the rest of the advertising industry, product is uninteresting and unoriginal

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want the company to be and commit to it, pay your employees fair market rates and create something interesting.

Technorati2014-11-17

"Office with a Great View!"

I worked at Technorati full-time

Pros

Employees work towards and hit their individual goals even if they seem meaningless. Opportunity to expand your role within the company?

Cons

Strategy seems to change every quarter, so real progress is difficult to come by. Waves of high turnover lead to knowledge loss and reinventing wheels.

Advice to Management

Work on employee retention. Salaries, benefits and perks are all below market rate. Yes, you can replace employees, but the cost to the business is high.

Technorati2014-09-17
  5. "A company focused on the end product, and here to help you grow professionally."

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Technorati full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• The opportunity to grow is definitely there. • In such a small company, it’s easy to make a positive impact, and it’s noticed. • The industry is incredibly exciting, and the company has a strong team. • Most recently, Technorati sponsored my personal development through a PM course. • Technorati has a strong focus on the work-life balance. Extra hours are never been expected but it rarely goes unnoticed.... • The office environment is fun, • We make solid hires. I'm from the Bay Area, but many of my close friends are current or former Technorati Employees. • Happy hours, company summits and bonding opportunities aplenty. • The work-from-home policy is generous. You probably won't be a full pajama-clad 24/7 WFH employee but it's not an issue if you have something to do that prevents you from making it into the office.

Cons

I don't have any cons. I really, really enjoy working here and I would recommend the company to anyone who feels like they would be a great fit.

Advice to Management

• Keep hiring strong candidates. • Preserve the culture we have. • In addition to strong hires, make sure your employees are challenged but not overloaded. • Recognize your employee’s strengths and push them in the right direction. • The skills around the office have changed over time. We continue pushing for development of our employees. In such a small company, we have the flexibility for people to... cross-train and share skills. It makes for a more efficient and stronger organization. • It can be difficult to take a step aside from the current priorities, but we need to continue to focus on openly educating new employees on our industry and the skills they need to be successful here and wherever they end up next. • Make sure that they have access to the resources and expertise we have and that everyone feels motivated to continue learning. • We've offered lateral movement before. Keep your ears open to employees who may be looking for completely new challenges.

Technorati2014-09-16

"How to Pivot in the Worst Way Possible"

Current Contractor - Contributor

I have been working at Technorati for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to build a reputation as a writer Press creds for cool events

Cons

Lack of appreciation for helping them build their brand.

Advice to Management

Don't build (or rebuild) your brand on the backs of free labor (writers) and then unceremoniously jettison us with no warning under the guise of an ill advised pivot. Especially if you are going to keep the content that built you back up in the first place.

Technorati2014-08-18

"Technorati has shot itself in the foot"

Former Contractor - Freelance Writer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Technorati for more than a year

Pros

Back before the senior management made the fateful decision to shut down what was best about Technorati as a publishing house, it was a blessed opportunity to get quality content featured that helped distinguish Technorati from its competitors. Technorati covered start-ups, marketing trends, and so much more. It's chief editor was a pleasure work for, as he understood where Technorati needed to be in terms of... editorial direction. He gave writers free reign to produce content, as long as it was quality content. I had the opportunity of drafting any number of columns that spoke to my interests and those of my readers.

Cons

Top management shut down Technorati and alienated the entire staff of freelance writers. I was getting contacted by numerous start-ups and PR agencies who were chomping at the bit to be featured on Technorati. Now, top management has sacrificed the once great reputation of Technorati and is taking it down a direction it most certainly will never recover from. Focusing on display advertising and programmatics won't... save Technorati and it won't inspire a new crop of writers to write for the publication. Top management ruined Technorati as a publisher. The actions and behaviors are that of a typical CEO who doesn't listen to those who are more intelligent and progressive-minded.

Advice to Management

Get new leadership. Hire leaders who are interested in creating quality content, especially content that features up and coming companies. Don't try and compete with AdAge, Adweek or any other ad publication. It badly needs progressive leadership.

Technorati2014-08-19

"Classic Ivory Tower"

Former Employee - Ad Product in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Technorati full-time for more than a year

Pros

The location and office is great. Initially the challenge was interesting however the culture really inhibited individuals from making big things happen. Lots of good snacks, beer and outings to inspire the teams. The worker bees are good people.

Cons

Strategy has waned down to a simple ad play that isn't all that interesting to insiders or outsiders. The leadership mostly sit in their glass houses (literally glass boxes) and hold navel gazing meetings with mix bag positive spun side talk but rarely engage with people otherwise. Not really innovators in the platform space.

Advice to Management

Technorati has gone from fostering a community of influencers and helping tie new media opportunities to this lifeblood to literally throwing the baby out with the bathwater - by abandoning the community that help to build their brand. Going from being a big fish in a little pond - having the pond grow beyond you because you waited too long and now being a little fish in a big big pond of ad platforms that are... outperforming you by leaps and bounds. Advice? Your strategy of staking a claim in the ad platform space isn't a good one. Sadly not a lot of tricks left in the bag. Time for new management.

Technorati2014-09-19
  9. "Continue to reinvent themselves, but always come out on top!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Technorati full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart, hardworking, passionate people, great benefits and a fun culture. Great opportunities for growth for technical folks

Cons

Lots of change, could do better with communication at all levels

Advice to Management

Time to update the employee review process

Technorati2014-08-13

"The leadership of this company is foolish. Betting on ad networks that are passing them by."

Former Employee - Journalist + Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Technorati part-time for more than a year

Pros

The office space is pretty nice. Great view of SF.

Cons

Backwards thinking CEO and Board. They don't understand marketing technologies and the evolution of the space. They've made their money on their ad network, but they can't see that space is about to totally disrupted. They had THE defacto top resource online for bloggers and influencers... they gave it all up for some dollars on their ad network, which is archaic.

Advice to Management

Fire Shani and get someone in there with some vision. She is wayyyy past her prime. She doesn't see the trends or understand what is coming.

Technorati2014-09-11