Technorati Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Technorati CEO Shani Higgins
Shani Higgins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Not worth your time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Technorati full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees generally make good friends

Cons

Culture of long in-office hours - forget working remote
    Awful benefits
    Strange roles all rolling up to one Director - too many under "product" and not enough separation to address operations, development and product marketing
    If you're not a technical person, prepare for your responsibilities to change often

"Good work experience, terrible company"

I worked at Technorati full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to advance quickly, flexible hours, fully paid health insurance options, good hands on experience to then leverage for a better job

Cons

Dismal pay, they try to make every raise part of your bonus instead of your base, mediocrity is celebrated, company cannot keep up with the rest of the advertising industry, product is uninteresting and unoriginal

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want the company to be and commit to it, pay your employees fair market rates and create something interesting.

3. "A company focused on the end product, and here to help you grow professionally."

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Technorati full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• The opportunity to grow is definitely there.
    • In such a small company, it’s easy to make a positive impact, and it’s noticed.
    • The industry is incredibly exciting, and the company has a strong team.
    • Most recently, Technorati sponsored my personal development through a PM course.
    • Technorati has a strong focus on the work-life balance. Extra hours are never been expected but it rarely goes unnoticed.
    • The office environment is fun,
    • We make solid hires. I'm from the Bay Area, but many of my close friends are current or former Technorati Employees.
    • Happy hours, company summits and bonding opportunities aplenty.
    • The work-from-home policy is generous. You probably won't be a full pajama-clad 24/7 WFH employee but it's not an issue if you have something to do that prevents you from making it into the office.

Cons

I don't have any cons. I really, really enjoy working here and I would recommend the company to anyone who feels like they would be a great fit.

Advice to Management

• Keep hiring strong candidates.
    • Preserve the culture we have.
    • In addition to strong hires, make sure your employees are challenged but not overloaded.
    • Recognize your employee’s strengths and push them in the right direction.
    • The skills around the office have changed over time. We continue pushing for development of our employees. In such a small company, we have the flexibility for people to cross-train and share skills. It makes for a more efficient and stronger organization.
    • It can be difficult to take a step aside from the current priorities, but we need to continue to focus on openly educating new employees on our industry and the skills they need to be successful here and wherever they end up next.
    • Make sure that they have access to the resources and expertise we have and that everyone feels motivated to continue learning.
    • We've offered lateral movement before. Keep your ears open to employees who may be looking for completely new challenges.

"Office with a Great View!"

I worked at Technorati full-time

Pros

Employees work towards and hit their individual goals even if they seem meaningless. Opportunity to expand your role within the company?

Cons

Strategy seems to change every quarter, so real progress is difficult to come by. Waves of high turnover lead to knowledge loss and reinventing wheels.

Advice to Management

Work on employee retention. Salaries, benefits and perks are all below market rate. Yes, you can replace employees, but the cost to the business is high.

"Classic Ivory Tower"

Former Employee - Ad Product in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Ad Product in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Technorati full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location and office is great. Initially the challenge was interesting however the culture really inhibited individuals from making big things happen. Lots of good snacks, beer and outings to inspire the teams. The worker bees are good people.

Cons

Strategy has waned down to a simple ad play that isn't all that interesting to insiders or outsiders. The leadership mostly sit in their glass houses (literally glass boxes) and hold navel gazing meetings with mix bag positive spun side talk but rarely engage with people otherwise. Not really innovators in the platform space.

Advice to Management

Technorati has gone from fostering a community of influencers and helping tie new media opportunities to this lifeblood to literally throwing the baby out with the bathwater - by abandoning the community that help to build their brand. Going from being a big fish in a little pond - having the pond grow beyond you because you waited too long and now being a little fish in a big big pond of ad platforms that are outperforming you by leaps and bounds. Advice? Your strategy of staking a claim in the ad platform space isn't a good one. Sadly not a lot of tricks left in the bag. Time for new management.

6. "Continue to reinvent themselves, but always come out on top!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Technorati full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, hardworking, passionate people, great benefits and a fun culture. Great opportunities for growth for technical folks

Cons

Lots of change, could do better with communication at all levels

Advice to Management

Time to update the employee review process

"The leadership of this company is foolish. Betting on ad networks that are passing them by."

Former Employee - Journalist + Editor in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Journalist + Editor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Technorati part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office space is pretty nice. Great view of SF.

Cons

Backwards thinking CEO and Board. They don't understand marketing technologies and the evolution of the space. They've made their money on their ad network, but they can't see that space is about to totally disrupted. They had THE defacto top resource online for bloggers and influencers... they gave it all up for some dollars on their ad network, which is archaic.

Advice to Management

Fire Shani and get someone in there with some vision. She is wayyyy past her prime. She doesn't see the trends or understand what is coming.

"Old systems, old thinking, and laughable brand"

Former Employee - Network Administrative in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Network Administrative in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Technorati full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My focus at Technorati was to help publisher partners meet revenue goals. I was excited about the opportunity when I first joined: Technorati has great industry relations, and a legacy brand name. Lots of servers. After all, smart people built this!

Cons

When you pair old systems with a lost, almost laughable brand, it makes for a rough job. There's nothing forward thinking or advanced about this company. My experience was marked with little direction, invisible executive communication, and a collaborative environment you might find in North Korea. The only thing slower than our systems, were the clocks on the wall. Bleak upward growth (and I wouldn't want to be there that long, anyway) and Kansas City wages, made leaving Technorati an easy decision.

Advice to Management

In the valley of technology giants, high-paid, high-valued employees, and genuine innovation, this company cannot compete.

"Peter Principle is pervasive."

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Technorati part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It used to sustain and build the global reputation for "...the World’s Largest Blog Directory."

Cons

As the Peter Principle aptly summarizes: "In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to their level of incompetence". This principle has now become pervasive at Technorati.

As a former contributing writer to Technorati for over 2 years, I was disappointed to receive a brief message from an executive who stated that contributed content will no longer be accepted on Technorati unless it relates to the new direction the company has taken. I'm sure there were other writers besides myself that communicated to several companies that we were about to post new content on Technorati only to be surprised that we could no longer publish valuable content:
    - no lead time for the abrupt notice,
    - no input in the change in strategy,
    - no recommendations were sought to improve the plight of Technorati despite the abundance of experience and industry expertise that former contributors and employees brought to a formerly reinvigorated Technorati.
    This is very unprofessional and shortsighted. As an article in B2C cited: "...the World’s Largest Blog Directory—is Gone." (June 16, 2014)

Having secured personal interviews with large companies and innovative startups, other writers and I have sought to contribute unique articles that raised visibility to the value Technorati used to bring to the global blogging community and new advertisers. This new direction is counterproductive. The new "shot in the arm" that was introduced with nimble and talented editors and others who are no longer there as of last week has caused Technorati to lose sight of its original mission and vision and is highly unlikely to lead to any sustainable way to monetize their new direction.

This explains why several companies in Technorati's space have either
    - thrived to fill the vacuum that Technorati has left or
    - have launched new publications and rode the rocket to value creation through successful social media specialties or leveraged the value created by writers who deliver content that can build a community of followers and company sponsors.

It's time to shift the leadership, shift the mission and return the innovators who were recently there. Shift happens...for the better.

Advice to Management

See above:

"CEO is utterly clueless"

Current Employee - Freelance Writer
    Current Employee - Freelance Writer

I have been working at Technorati part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This WAS a 'go to' place for bloggers and current information, no idea what suddenly went so wrong.

Cons

I am/was a freelance writer for this place, and it was a cool gig, I turned around stories quickly for them, I got a ton of eyes on my stories and they were popular. Then around May 2014 they changed their publishing backend from whatever archaic crap they were using to Wordpress. No notice to anyone, they killed their history and content and the site would go down repeatedly, for weeks at a time. I think someones son in law in high school is the CTO now or something. I had 3 excellent articles lined up and then on August 13 we all got a notice they weren't going to publish any more. Oddly, the same day that this new glowing review came in.

Advice to Management

What do you want to be when you grow up? You've killed off what gave Technorati clout and power and now it is virtually nothing. No one has a reason to go to the site or work with you. I don't think I've seen a company take such a rapid nose dive before, and you can point the finger right at your CEO, who is clearly clueless.