Tavistock Restaurants Reviews

Tavistock Restaurants CEO Bryan Lockwood
Bryan Lockwood

1. "Lucas Absolon"

I have been working at Tavistock Restaurants part-time

Pros

The staff there is very nice and are considerate of providing help to others. It is a cheerful working environment that is also hardworking.

Cons

I am a food runner/ busser and the pay does not meet my expectations. Recently they have hired more people and I have only been scheduled once a week, sometimes I am not even scheduled. I also don't enjoy what I do and I would be more comfortable in a different type of work environment.

Advice to Management

I do not like leaving a job unfinished because then I will view it as doing nothing at all. I always put maximum effort forward and working with computer files is peaceful to me.

2. "Only just begun and loving it"

Current Employee - Server in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Server in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Tavistock Restaurants part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Tavistock restaurant I work at as a Server is adamant about encouraging the sense of a "tribe" (more unique than "team"). I've only been here for a couple months, and as a newbie that makes a new mistake every shift, the staff still has been so helpful. They go out of their way to check on my progress and how I felt at the end of the shift. I'm never ashamed to ask someone how to fix a mistake. An enjoyable "learning experience"

Cons

Just like any job inside a restaurant, it can get hectic and stressful

3. "it was ok"

Pros

most of the staff was cool and its laid back

Cons

fired the guy who comes in one minute late who was a good person and dose good work but keeps the shysters guy who steals his own co workers tips when working parties and steals wine and other stuff from the restaurant. when management was informed nothing was done WTF!!!

Advice to Management

DO YOUR JOB! buts its different now its 2015 i think thing have change by now

5. "Lack of Support"

Former Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Tavistock Restaurants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Food and concepts are pretty incredible. The mix of concept allows for freedom on menu and steps of service as opposed to corporate controlled items. Compensation is in line with the industry standard with pretty decent benefits.

Cons

Serious lack of support from upper management, if it doesn't save money and you're not in the inner circle you become a slave to profits. The bonus structure is absurd and their contract reserves the right to take your bonus. There are several issues with payroll.

Advice to Management

Start with a better work/life balance and reward employees for achievements.

6. "This ship is sinking."

I worked at Tavistock Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company that had many foodservice brands.

Cons

Poorly managed brands, branches and little regard for average employees, facilities management and capitalization, as well as company wide vision, purpose and overall appreciation.

Advice to Management

Get serious about developing competent, compassionate leadership that cares about its employees, the company and overall sustainable development of the brand and its organizational structure; including a healthful outlook from within its industry. You have completely failed at all of this and you need to manage your companies better here in the United States, as well as globally. Your overall ratings, in every category, are abysmal. And from what I've learned, it was getting progressively worse before I left the company, as well as much more thereafter.

7. "Kitchen"

Pros

Laid back, wear whatever you want

Cons

Management needs better training , optimistic

8. "Tavistock needs to make $ for the investors."

Former Employee - Cook in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Cook in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Tavistock Restaurants (Less than a year)

Pros

The chefs made an effort everyday to make a nice staff meal. The Exec. Chef, CDC and Sous were very qualified and great to work with. The foh staff were also great and very polite, even when the restaurant was slammed.

Cons

Low pay. The line cooks were mostly Mexican/Hispanic. Although we got along great because of my Spanish speaking ability, I don't enjoy working in such kitchens because of the "La Raza" effect. Almost all of them are hacks imo. Don't get me wrong, they are great short order cooks but not restaurant material. Why does Tavistock hire very qualified chefs but also hire hack cooks to execute the food?

Advice to Management

Spend money on experienced cooks or culinary graduates.

"Horrible,Horrible company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Tavistock Restaurants part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. It still pays fairly well considering it's an all gratuity job.

Cons

Tavistock just doesn't care at all for it's line employees. They have demonstrated this attitude towards us time and time again. I'f your considering a job with this corp. look elsewhere if you value your pride and self esteem.

Advice to Management

Grow a pair Tavistock , and show that you do care about your employees and not just your bottom line.

"Laid off due to office closure---thankfully."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA (US)

I worked at Tavistock Restaurants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The wages were fine, though I worked there for three years & still left without making the median income of the city we were based in.

Cons

Absolutely toxic environment with very few perks. Very low morale around corporate office. Instead of having working systems put in place, we were forced to cobble together broken systems and hope for the best.

Advice to Management

Take value in your employees from the bottom to the top. They're the ones padding your pockets.

11. "Worst Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Sever in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sever in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Tavistock Restaurants part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's employment. That's about it.

Cons

TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT: they take employees' tips, extort money from the staff, adjust employees' time cards, sit in the office when it's busy and they are consistently unable to execute proper hiring and training. The management at the corporate level is just as bad.

Advice to Management

Stop breaking labor laws, stop being lazy, learn basic business skills and invest in REAL MANAGERS & RESTAURANT PROFESSIONALS.

RSS Feed </> Embed