SurpriseHR Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.2
SurpriseHR CEO Albert Eloyan
Albert Eloyan
1 Rating
  1. "The best personal growth opportunity in the Triangle"

Current Employee - Operations in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mission driven company that's out to improve the workplace for everyone An incredible team to learn from Great opportunity to make an impact You'll never learn more, faster than you will at Surprise. Our goals are ambitious and the stakes are high, which makes every day's work rewarding.

Cons

Don't apply if you're looking to be told what to do or want a ton of existing process and procedures.

SurpriseHR2020-01-14

"Decent company"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Richland, SC

I worked at SurpriseHR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good base salary and good commissions paid.

Cons

Poor Training/Coaching. Disingenuous sales techniques required Startup mentality - don't have all the kinks worked out

SurpriseHR2019-12-02

"So glad I joined!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are so smart, driven to build a great product and super engaged.

Cons

We are in growth mode, so it is very busy, but the culture of the company is fun, so it's not as stressful as other start-ups I've been with

SurpriseHR2019-09-21

"Great place if you want more responsibility"

Current Employee - Operations in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people who work here are amazing -super smart, hardworking, and will go out of their way to help others around them become better. The culture is very welcoming of new ideas and encourages everyone to challenge the status quo. You are always pushed to take initiative and take on more ownership- you will get out whatever you put into this company. Also, knowing that the product we work on makes so many people smile, makes it very meaningful and feels great.

Cons

Since expectation are so high, the workload can get pretty intense. So if you're not a natural overachiever, it takes time to get used to that sort of environment. Management does want people on site whenever possible and due to the "rise and grind" mentality of many people, being absent feels like being left behind. So if you prefer to work from a home office, look elsewhere or be sure to communicate whatever WFH needs you have before joining.

SurpriseHR2019-06-29

"An almost extraordinary opportunity"

Former Employee - Concierge in Raleigh, NC

I worked at SurpriseHR full-time for more than a year

Pros

• There will be a plethora of adverse times of which will allow you to grow if you’re tenacious enough. • The company presents great opportunities for people fresh out of college whom do not have any other roles to compare the work environment to. • The people you’re surrounded by will be great (if you’re on their good side). • You will learn a lot in terms of general life lessons. • If you’re lacking in terms of professionalism or any certain skills, management will sometimes help you improve. • Upward mobility does exist.

Cons

• If you’re working in DTR, you are responsible for finding and paying for parking. • Sugar coating. As a startup, the phrase “we’re a startup” is often a crutch that will be used to excuse unprofessional/lacking behavior. • Employees are not held to any kind of standards in terms of respecting each other. Speaking poorly of colleagues is common in person and amongst Slack. This, amongst other things, promotes a toxic work environment. • The sales team has no understanding of the actual execution of the product they are selling. • Insurance is the bare minimum, you’d be better off with your own. • You’ll often hear that the company is searching for “star” candidates with qualifications that exceed the work environment and compensation they are willing to provide. • No form of HR exists within the company.

SurpriseHR2019-06-21

"Fast Pace, Growth, Learning!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for less than a year

Pros

Diving head first into challenges enables you to learn and grow quickly! A lot of independence. You know that everyone around you is working just as hard and that there are no slackers. Opportunity for growth in the company in various areas! Self reflection is encouraged. Open policy of bringing ideas to the table. Always being open and honest to obtain goals faster.

Cons

Because we are a start up, the hours aren't your typical "9-5". While it doesn't bother me, I know a slightly longer workday isn't for everyone.

SurpriseHR2019-05-31

"Junior Concierge"

Current Employee - Junior Concierge in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have worked for Surprise HR for almost a year and it is hard to put into words how lucky I am to be a part of this company. This is my first job out of college and I was so nervous about transitioning from the hospitality industry to the corporate world. Luckily, my supervisor and my teammates were eager and willing to help with my transition. One of the best things about working here is that there is no such thing as “I” because we are all about teamwork; we work hard as a team and we succeed as a team. Your strengths are put to good use while you receive help with improving on your weaknesses. The open door policy that we have here reinstates the fact that you and your opinion matters. There is no such thing as seniority here because only hard work is rewarded and the opportunities you have at this company are endless as we are still growing! I personally have watched my team grow from only 3 people to almost 15 and I can’t wait to watch us continue to grow and tackle new challenges.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that you are responsible for paying for parking downtown and all the parking garages are on a 6-month wait list.

SurpriseHR2019-04-03

"The Job I Didn't Realize I Needed"

Current Employee - Concierge in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a great job for people who are looking to transition into a day job or are fresh out of college and looking to build up a marketable skill set. Being fresh out of college and having only done coffee shop jobs, Surprise HR has helped me develop a wide skill set including working independently or with a team, communication skills, and leadership. From day one, I was told that I would work harder here than any other job I've had and I'd say that still holds true. I am certain that I whenever I choose to leave Surprise HR that I will be in a much better position from all that I've learned here.

Cons

Work days are sometimes longer than 9AM to 6PM. Occasionally you will be required to work weekends as well.

SurpriseHR2019-04-16

"Unbelievable growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Employee Engagement Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for less than a year

Pros

In my opinion the biggest pro of working at Surprise HR is the entrepreneurial spirit. Working at a small(ish) start up has allow me unparalleled access to extremely intelligent business leaders that can provide coaching on a continual basis. Within just the few months I've been with the organization, I have grown leaps and bounds in my sales ability and confidence. Some pros of the actual job are fully paid medical and dental. The company offers a very extensive training program. Remote work opportunities exist depending on the role. A stock purchase program is also in place for people that wish to participate.

Cons

The biggest cons would be a lack of brand recognition within the SaaS industry. Our product is highly unique and a complete industry changer, but as a result, most people do not fully understand the benefits or value. Some organizations are leery of working with a start up because of negative experiences in the past. One con of the actual job would be no 401K. Also, quite a few hours sitting (this can be solved by investing a high quality chair, with armrests).

SurpriseHR2019-03-21

"What a Startup is Supposed to Be"

Current Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SurpriseHR full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will be held, relentlessly, to a standard of excellence. I list this as a Pro, but many folks I've worked with (even here at Surprise HR) would consider it a Con - I do not fault anyone for having this belief, I just don't share it. It is refreshing to come to work every day and strive to be better than yesterday, knowing you won't be quite good enough to make tomorrow easy. For those of you reading this that have excelled in your past or current organization and reached a pinnacle you can appreciate the value of this quality in a workplace - no complacency, no room to get sloppy, and no feeling that your peers aren't working as hard as you. In line with the above are the people you get to work with. It is a rare individual who can succeed in the kind of environment we've built here. Most people would (or have) become frustrated at the constant pursuit of perfection - I am inspired by it. I liken it to working out - you'll never be fit enough to make tomorrow's workout easy, but it is the struggle that fuels your determination to find the next level. To that extent I think of Surprise HR as a gym for my career. If you spend enough time here you'll achieve things you never thought possible in a timeframe others won't believe...and then you'll do it again and again and again.

Cons

It can be difficult to see talented individuals fail to step up to succeed here. An unwavering definition of achievement can and has left people, good people, behind.

SurpriseHR2019-04-02

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 30 reviews