Superior Propane Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Cylinder driver"

Current Employee - Develop I in Guelph, ON
    Current Employee - Develop I in Guelph, ON

I have been working at Superior Propane full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good wages, good benefits, paid vacation

Cons

Changes, changes, changes. They need to find something and stick to it

Advice to Management

Figure it out

"Coordinator"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Guelph, ON
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Guelph, ON

I worked at Superior Propane full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pension, vacation, close to home, staff are nice

Cons

Very high turn over rate, upper management changes almost yearly, can't gain momentum when no leadership is around to see a single project or vision through before the next one is in their place reinventing the wheel. Disconnected senior leadership team, has no clue what the daily workers are up against. Micromanaging just leads to people not caring anymore since no matter what they produce it's never good enough. If the staff hired there are that incompetent why do you have them then?

Advice to Management

Stop shifting middle management around, allow them to own their position for long enough to make an impact. Start reading or attending the exit interviews as that is the only time anyone feels safe to speak the truth about what is going on in the trenches. Your lowly workers are the key to your success, which you'll notice by the employee engagement survey isn't doing so hot. Spend time in the NOC on the floor not just passing through, but look, listen and feel what is going on in there. You've lost some very valuable long term talent that just couldn't hang on another year hoping this would be the year things change.

"Great benefits & perks but the management is henoius."

Former Employee - Truck Driver
    Former Employee - Truck Driver

I worked at Superior Propane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was nice to have a solid benefit package and the company readily supplies an over abundance of work wear. Laid back atmosphere for the most part, which is also it's Achilles Heel.

Cons

Company forgot the core aspects of the business which is the timely delivery of propane. It was absolutely fustrating to see upper management's indifference to losing market share and infuriating the customer base due to apathy.

When I worked against them I had to manage a large zone by myself (route planning, inventory procurement, delivery, installation and asset relocation) and hit a delivery ceiling of just over six million liters. For that same workload and volume Superior Propane had three delivery trucks, two dispatchers (one for new installations and one for gas deliveries), a picker truck operator, a supervisor and a sales officer (plus one more but I can't remember the job description).

Even with a employee ratio advantage of 9 to 1 for Superior Propane I was still called out (working for the competition at the time) by irate oil companies because their oil wells went down.

When I worked for Superior I took it on my own initiative to get more familiar with my region and kept finding more and more abandoned tanks, some that were out of use for over nine years (and full at that). I think with all the tanks I found it was around 200,000 liters of propane recovered. That is a huge number of assets to lose track of.

Oilfield personal (the primary customers in my area) have expressed an intense hatred of the 1800 number.

Dispatch system was problematic to say the least, wrong land locations and bypassing too many drop off points that would be filled the next day (some were three hour drive one way). Heat shacks being filled mid winter when fall delivery would be more suitable.

There is absolutely no reason for one individual with an Excel spreadsheet to run circles around a huge company with expansive resources of personal and materials. I worked in the exact same region as their competitor and then with the company so I can give an objective comparison of operations.

Here is an example of the communication issues the company has/had; a drilling rig called one a week for three weeks stating when they needed a gas fill up but still ended up with an "out of gas call". When I worked for the other company a drilling rig would call me directly (because I was on my own) for a fill and often it was done the same day (my record was 15 minutes because they saw me in the area).

Advice to Management

You can do more with less.

Placing responsible & knowledgeable individuals into frontline positions can be the biggest asset to a company. Direct communication between frontline staff and the customer is a much more responsive and adaptable system as opposed to the centralized management structure.

"Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Guelph, ON
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Guelph, ON

I worked at Superior Propane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are quite helpful and cooperative when overloaded work needs completion.

Cons

Compensation not does co-relate justifiably to the work load. Many employees employees bearing work load for 2 employees without any additional benefits or appreciation. Poor training facilities. Favouritism rampant, with those in the good books of the Management able to get away doing a lesser workload.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees, in similar grade, equally fair. Create conditions to compel employees to go the extra mile on their own accord and pay compensate them for it. Appreciate employees for their contribution and lend a sympathetic ear to those who lag behind (they may not be up to par with others because of an very high load of work) and give them a pat on the back, rather than terminate them for being "not a good fit"

Ensure standardized pricing policies. Don't milk customers with prices 2/3 times the prevailing rate and offer them market comparable rates once they drop your service and move over to a competitor due to your costs being exorbitant.

6. "?"

Former Employee - Bulk Driver in Pembroke, ON
    Former Employee - Bulk Driver in Pembroke, ON

Pros

They have a pension plan and good benefits

Cons

Had poor management that make bad decisions....treats workers like a number....treats customers very poorly

Advice to Management

Start concentrating on your employees and customers rather than your share holders

7. "Financial Analysist"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Calgary, AB

I worked at Superior Propane (Less than a year)

Pros

good work environment, nice team,

Cons

office was moved to east coast

Advice to Management

hopefully they can bring the head office back to Calgary

"Terrible Company Avoid"

Former Employee - Delivery Dispatcher in Guelph, ON
    Former Employee - Delivery Dispatcher in Guelph, ON

I worked at Superior Propane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly this company was terrible, I had the worst experience of my life there.

Cons

Constant employee turnover, raises are rarely granted internally, you are better off to quit go somewhere else, then get hired back if you want a raise.

9. "A+ Company"

Former Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Superior Propane (More than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership top-down, fair pay, good benefits

Cons

Lack of direction from some Dept management.

Advice to Management

All-in-all, they're doing a good job.

"Superior in name only"

Former Employee - Director in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Director in Calgary, AB

I worked at Superior Propane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people in all regions of the country

Cons

Senior leadership team is oblivious to the environment. They only are concerned with their bonus ... and will do what ever they can to max out payment.

Advice to Management

Stay at Superior ... don't contaminate other good companies

11. "Great"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Mississauga, ON

Pros

Great Culture and great people

Cons

Everything is well run by the team.

Advice to Management

Keep expanding