Sun Life Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated Aug 12, 2021

Found 19 of over 2,614 reviews

4.1
Sun Life President and CEO Kevin Strain
Kevin Strain
Pros
  • "Provided work life balance to all their employees(in 352 reviews)

• "Sun Life great work environment with good work life balance(in 163 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I couldn't think of any downsides in working at Sun Life(in 56 reviews)

• "Work life balance is not a priority(in 54 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Sun Life

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great employer, really care about employee's growth

Aug 12, 2021 - Marketing Automation Specialist in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and pension. 15 days of vacation. Good team. During the covid, there are 20 days of sick days.

Cons

The turn-over rate is a bit high. It takes long to make a change. But the managers and the senior management are open to new ideas, so it's not bad.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great employer

Jan 14, 2021 - Senior Marketing Communications Manager in Toronto, PE
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, great benefits, good work-life balance

Cons

Poor middle management, lots of turnover with senior management

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Project Manager

Mar 27, 2019 - Project Manager in Scarborough, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

You will work with an awesome set of folks that dedicate and work hard to make Sun Life a success.

Cons

Sometimes senior management is there only for their own benefit. Some manager lie to your face.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Would not recommend

Apr 6, 2018 - Financial Advisor in Fredericton, NB
      Business Outlook

Pros

I began working for Sun Life as a financial advisor to pursue my dreams in the finance industry. This has always been a role I aspired to fill as a child. When I began working there, I did very well. I sold lots of new clients, developed a great clientele, and had the liberty to come and go as I pleased.

Cons

After nearly four years of devoting all my time and energy to this company, I wanted to move out of the branch office and pursue my own real estate venture in the city, and offer up my own store front for the company. I was spending nearly $2,000 in expenses to the company, and in low volume sales months, I was actually making negative pays. This with a small family at home began to fill my life with stress, depression and ultimately my demise as an advisor. I went to senior management explaining my case that letting me out of my lease will allow me to save on monthly expenses (big time), and alleviate some of the stress in my life financially. I was told that under no circumstances were they willing to help me, and they would rather see me leave and then help me. I was very disappointed in this response after giving nearly 4 years of my life to a company that I had planned giving my entire career to, and ultimately had produced A LOT of new business for them making them money. Ultimately, it was not the job itself I did not like, it was the management, senior management and even head office who treated me like just a number. I felt on a personal level, if this is how they are treating the ones doing all the work, how do they care for their clients who make it all happen? For me it was time to make a switch.

11 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good company

Aug 26, 2015 -  in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had an easy going team, but worked with a very difficult and demanding internal client. The IT infrastructure is great at Sun Life.

Cons

Didn't get support from senior management on some important issues, resulting in a very difficult working relationship with my client.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

If you prefer managing up over doing good work, this is the place for you.

Apr 2, 2014 - Management in Kitchener, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

As with any large company, there are significant differences between major business units, and some have better reputations than others. Good brand reputation as a result of significant marketing spend, which will be eroded as staff morale continues to plummet.

Cons

Highly patriarchical company, old boys network, many women (not all) who advance based on their looks and willingness to play up to that, men and women who advance by spending their time promoting themselves at the expense of their staff or their own work. In the Individual area, no clear strategic vision, no culture of accountability within the senior management ranks, poor behaviour in clear contradiction of all HR policies ignored or rewarded.

6 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Find a bettter place to work

Nov 6, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits Competitive salary in line with other large organizations

Cons

Poor senior and middle management leadership. Individual side of the business is like working for a prison. Employees in senior management who have been with the company for a long time are unsupportive to new employees. No on site parking at Waterloo location, you have to take a shuttle bus to get to work

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

A true corporate environment. Lack of growth

Mar 21, 2013 - Communications and Marketing in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Typical corporate environment. 9 - 5 hours. Good communication between offices in different locations. Room to move up (slowly but surely)

Cons

Lack of communication between senior management and employees. No shared vision. Lack of employee motivation and recognition.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Ask a lot of questions during your interview.....then think twice before accepting an offer

Aug 20, 2012 - Programme Director in North Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are adequate. Reimbursement for benefits is quick

Cons

Load of politics; senior management who doesn't have a clue; cliques; perpetual reorgs. Some senior managers have no clue what is going on in their depts. Budgets are poorly managed. There are lots of duplicate roles. My job did not have a description and I had to do my own performance review. There was no on boarding - just general HR stuff about how great things are. IT leaders are just old programmers and database guys who've done their time, they are very poor managers and their egos are immense. The VP that I worked for had not clue on how to provide feedback. Lots of lip service and dictated "get to know and be friendly" with the staff sessions which are filled with propaganda. I was not advised that I would be required to travel to Kitchener office during the interview and then a few weeks into it was told it was a requirement.

5 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Collaborative work environment

Apr 2, 2009 - Systems Analyst  in Waterloo, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Besides senior management, it is generally a collaborative work environment dedicated towards getting the job done. The people you work with will have your back and you'll meet lots of nice people whose goal is simply excellent customer service.

Cons

Prioritization of the projects and employee engagement are recognized as issues. Any gains in engagement they may have made have largely been wiped out by the global layoffs and outsourcing. Senior management seems out of touch with how the company has performed well in the past. The goals and mission statement of the company are ill-defined and largely come down to "we've got your back"... not really differentiated from other financial instiutions in my opinion.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews