SugarCRM Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.1
SugarCRM CEO Larry M. Augustin
Larry M. Augustin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They treat employees pretty well - good work/life balance" (in 7 reviews)

• "Great people in the office and an international community" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains, competitive market, and low name recognition" (in 9 reviews)

• "Occasional lack of communication between the headquarter in the US and the office in Munich, which is quite common in global organizations" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Support"

Pros

Great people! Good pay. Management is pretty supportive as well.

Cons

Pushes out too much, too quickly.

Advice to Management

Slow it down.

"Engineer and Development Disconnect"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA (US)

I worked at SugarCRM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Decent salary and benefits, even for remote employees.
    - Great people to work with
    - Flexible hours
    - Great IT support
    - A lot of opportunity for self-driven creative solutions, learning, etc.

Cons

I worked as an engineer in Enterprise Services for over five years, and the most glaring issues were miscommunication and mismanagement of people and products.

Management constantly talked about bringing code from custom products into core and pushed engineers into doing "demos" of custom product function to facilitate this. Yet demos almost never translated into code being merged back into core. In fact, the process for getting code merged back into core was a mess, even for basic updates or simple bug fixes. Trying to get a new feature merged into core was basically an imitation of Sisyphus, especially as a remote employee.

Many of these custom features would have been highly beneficial to core. At the very least, it would've saved engineers a lot of time, especially on transitioning between projects, and it likely would've made the product more marketable, too. Of course, this takes a solid process and a bit of invested time for merging and testing. People talked about the benefits that would result from such activity all the time, yet it never seemed to happen.

It took me a while to realize that management was simply that short-sighted. They saw a "feature" that would take 3 business days from 1 core engineer, 1 development lead, and 1 tester from working on short-term projects and meeting deadlines. Everybody talked about the big picture constantly, but management wasn't willing to assign the resources required to make any of it happen. There was always something more important in the short-term, and thus, management constantly dropped the ball on the long-term. This was particularly maddening for developers and teams who did the legwork of demos and presentations but found that even if their feature was lauded that there was nowhere for them to go.

There was also a strong feeling of "keep off my turf" when it came to the code that cut the heart of out pretty much any collaboration effort that crossed project lines. If a project had highly motivated individuals who came up with an interesting feature or improvement, it would benefit the project, but rarely (if ever) the core product. And, even worse, it caused anyone with specialized technical expertise to be yanked from custom products, leaving them to "supervise" or "mentor" developers... to be clear, this was NOT helpful training for developers to learn new skills. No, we were told to defer to so-and-so for certain development issues, which resulted in a coalescing of talent and product knowledge that created a horrible bottleneck and often created terrible miscommunication.

Ultimately, the short-sighted nature of SugarCRM management resulted in an incredible amount of waste. Wasted time, wasted talent, and wasted features.

This was - and likely is still - reflected in the product documentation. Locating accurate documentation is nearly impossible, and Sugar 7 did little to change this. The so-called "Sugar Developer Guide" fails to provide incredibly basic necessities, like a birds-eye-view diagram of SugarCRM's custom framework, a list of all known/core keys used in the product, and defined enumeration value sets. (The fact that I even had to write that sentence is ridiculous, especially for a company that has existed for over a decade and provides a web-based product that uses multiple programming and markup languages.)

There was a lot of push for better documentation when I was at the company. A lot of engineers had their own notes, and some of us shared them for the sake of sanity. More than one of us tried to get this information standardized and distributed on the company level, at least for the engineers. Some of us tried many, many times to push for this. You'd think that the benefits of having something so critical to good engineering standards would be higher on Sugar's radar, yet this very basic necessity failed to get any traction with the higher-ups, so it never happened.

Also, the sales team and the development team need closer integration for Enterprise clients. Very often the sales team makes promises that the development team can't keep. Not only is it incredibly frustrating for both parties, it undoubtedly makes the client angry, too. Especially because the fix is so incredibly easy: get a developer into that conversation/room/pitch. That's all it would take.

Advice to Management

Innovative engineers need the ability to be effective beyond the scope of their short-term projects, otherwise you're just wasting a lot of talent, time, and money. Don't make your employees constantly badger leaders/management to get basic stuff, like merging new features into core, done. Also, find a way to eliminate the code turf wars, as they don't benefit the product, the company, or its employees.

When it comes to basic stuff, get straight-forward processes into place, document those processes, and make sure engineers know about them.

Don't schedule a dozen meetings where you discuss how important something is, reiterate how beneficial something is, and then do NOTHING to actually facilitate it. Talk to the developers outside of core for their experiences. Find a way to keep track of how much code (or how many features) are actually being pulled back into the product--this can give you an understanding of how much you are wasting.

Set aside the time and resources required to achieve better product quality. Stop focusing on the quarterly numbers so much that you miss the big picture.

Also, send the IT department a fruit basket. Or throw them a party. In all my years working at Sugar, I saw nothing but excellence from them, particularly C. Hicks. Great response times, great people, great support.

26 Jul, 2018 – Manager, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your thorough feedback. Reading this was a bit of a trip down memory lane for us and a reminder of how far we’ve come as a company. You’ll be happy to know that a lot has changed in the... More

"Moving on"

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people, lots of snacks

Cons

Poor strategy and ability to execute, senior execs looking out for themselves

Advice to Management

None

"Good Company"

I worked at SugarCRM full-time

Pros

Good Management
    Good Leadership
    Flexible working hours and excellent location

Cons

Weak product unable to compete with the major CRM player on the market

"Trying hard, but stagnant in developing to potential"

I worked at SugarCRM full-time

Pros

Passionate co-workers, desire to improve

Cons

Lack expertise in some executive positions

"Employee"

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free snacks and lunch. There’s not much else to say. Need to fill the 20 words minimum on Glassdoor. Done

Cons

- Lack of communication from the leadership. They pretend to care about the employees but really don’t.
    - There seem to be a mass exodus. Employees are resigning left and right for better opportunities elsewhere. All the colleagues that I know are looking or interviewing with other companies.
    - Execs keep preaching about going public at each company meetings but it’s been 14+ years, that will not happen anytime soon. Don’t believe this snake oil pitch.
    - There are no processes at this company. EVERYTHING is done manually.
    - That’s my PSA. Join SugarCRM at your own peril. Atleast now you know what you’re getting into.

Advice to Management

Management won’t take any advice. They will keep doing what they have been doing. There’s no point.

24 May, 2018 – Manager, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We welcome employee input as we take constructive feedback seriously and ensure it is always reviewed. We are sorry you have such a negative perception of SugarCRM. In... More

"Toxic people = toxic environment"

Former Employee - People Operations in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Former Employee - People Operations in Cupertino, CA (US)

I worked at SugarCRM full-time

Pros

This company has no redeeming qualities to speak of.

Cons

Employees are not treated fairly, your performance doesn't matter as long as you have a "friend" in management.
    HR asks current employees to write positive reviews on Glassdoor to counter the negatives ones
    Management doesn't take responsibility for bad decisions, but will happily throw employees under the bus to take the blame
    Turnover at the employee level is mind-blowing, yet bad managers linger here forever
    If you knew the number of former employees that have filed complaints with the DFEH and/or lawsuits against this company you wouldn't even consider applying to this joke of a company

Advice to Management

The way you treat employees will continue to come back and bite you! Get new leadership who know how to lead instead of point fingers and lay blame. Hire leaders who understand ETHICS and have a moral compass!

7 May, 2018 – VP People & Places

Thank you for your feedback. Allow me to respond to your comments in an open manner. We do encourage our employees to post reviews on Glassdoor, as we feel it is important to give them a voice to... More

"ok but chaotic"

I worked at SugarCRM full-time

Pros

They never missed a pay day.

Cons

Things are often chaotic there.

Advice to Management

Focus on doing fewer things at once.

4 May, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Programs

Thank you for taking time to provide us your feedback. While we continue to be a fast-paced software company, our leadership team has put quite a lot of time and energy into a focused strategic plan... More

"Feels like a family"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large enough to offer good benefits
    Not so large as to have a huge bureaucracy
    They treat employees pretty well - good work/life balance
    No stack ranking
    Does not have an alpha-geek engineering culture

Cons

Salaries are a little lower than top talent usually demands
    PTO policy that combines vacation and sick time

10. "Amazing company to work for"

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time

Pros

Do not let the negative comments fool you because this is a great company to work for.

Management is awesome. They devote to your career growth as well as anything that you want to learn.
    Onsite parking as well as underground parking (if you go to work early you can grab an underground one).
    The kitchen is fully stocked with delicious snacks.
    There is a work softball team that competes with other companies.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons for SugarCRM.

Advice to Management

Have more company outings (happy hours, events and etc).