Spiceworks Ziff Davis Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Nov 6, 2018

Found 12 of over 183 reviews

4.1
Spiceworks Ziff Davis President Steve Horowitz (no image)
Steve Horowitz
Pros
  • "Good company culture, encourages success and rewards you well when you hit targets(in 15 reviews)

• "Casual dress code, approachable team members, free food(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It’s a mid-size company that has experienced some growing pains over the past few years(in 12 reviews)

• "Company either can't or doesn't want to invest in developers in Austin(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Culture shines through as company evolves

Nov 6, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The recent unveiling of the three year plan and the vision for the company in the future is compelling. Spiceworks adds value for IT Pros and the Vendors they connect with. This enables their businesses to move forward on their goals.

Cons

Some growing pains as the company transitions and aligns with the new vision.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0

Account Director

Jun 11, 2018 - Account Director in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Spiceworks pays its salespeople by performance. Work hard, achieve a high level of success, and you’ll be paid pretty handsomely for it.

Cons

It’s a mid-size company that has experienced some growing pains over the past few years. The right infrastructure is not always in place to help you get you work done efficiently/effectively - often times, you have to create it yourself.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Spiceworks Ziff Davis Response

CEO & Co-founder

Thanks for the feedback. As a company that achieved global scale and revenue that very few Austin-based companies achieve we absolutely had (and still have) a LOT of growing pains. That's why we brought in a management team that has experience in running teams and companies much larger than Spiceworks. As we've shared, they're working systematically at improving our infrastructure and processes and we're seeing the benefits of that. My door is always open so if you're not aware of those changes or have ideas on what we should be doing differently please stop by and see me.

3. The latest conversations about Tech

179 Comments

Tech

33.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-integrated-Reviews&utm_term=Spiceworks Ziff Davis~324872
      Join the conversation on
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to learn, with an amazing team

Oct 20, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

*Promotes culture and working as a team *Fast paced but also great atmosphere to work in *Helps develop not only you as an employee but promotes self-learning as well *Very flexible. They want to promote autonomy and they trust their teams to do the right thing.

Cons

*Still some growing pains as the company looks to move forward.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good company, experiencing growing pains.

Sep 7, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of awesome people to work with. Very flexible, they want you to learn and are willing to put you where you want to work.

Cons

Definitely some growing pains going on, and the recent layoffs are a symptom of that.

6. 4.0

Great culture, growing pains

May 1, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a company that takes culture very seriously. Everyone who works here is vetted very thoroughly to ensure that they're a good fit for the culture. This leads having coworkers that are super talented and pleasant to work with. Executive team is very open, honest, and available for everyone. Management truly understands and cares about everyone's career goals, and will do everything in their power to make sure you're getting the experiences you need to achieve your goals.

Cons

There are a lot of growing pains that come from immense growth and lack of processes. You must be proactive and be willing to tough it out frequently due to ever-changing processes and people's roles. This can be very stressful and tiresome. Compensation and benefits could improve: better pay and more vacation time.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Spoiled with great perks and great co-workers

Nov 9, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I'm surrounded every day by brilliant, passionate, creative people who genuinely love coming to work to make a a great product. Breakfast Taco Mondays, Bagel Fridays, gym, beautiful balcony, beer fridge, free coffee, etc. etc. etc. don't hurt either...

Cons

The company is growing a ton, so though I haven't been here long I can see a bit of growing pains in terms of changing software/programs/systems, and that is amplified because its in the ever-changing IT space.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company!

Sep 10, 2015 - Marketing Communications Specialist in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I get to work with some of the smartest, hard-working people I've ever met! Love my team!

Cons

Growing pains pop up occasionally. It's not really possible to know everyone in the company any more. An exciting change but definitely different from the days when you knew everyone even if they weren't in your department.

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fast paced, passionate and fun company!

Nov 13, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Spiceworks is a place where employees are encouraged to innovate and grow. The leadership team fosters an environment that is hard-working and fun. Its a company full of passionate people who own their successes and failures. Learning and innovating is paramount in everything we do.

Cons

Growing pains - when a company grows as fast as Spiceworks does there are growing pains and changes that happen.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great first full-time job for new graduate

Sep 19, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of things about this company are great, but the best thing is the people you work with. Everyone I have worked with thus far has been very nice, intelligent and understanding. I love how creative people in different departments are and how you can get to know each other even if you don't work together either from working out together during lunch or just chatting in the kitchen or during the company meeting. The company is very transparent about it's goals and its progress weekly. You learn a lot about the business in general and how your work fits in with everything else. They are quick to address any rumors or problems within the company. The company culture is very important to many of the employees and they don't tolerate people with bad attitudes. I've seen a couple of people let go because of questionable things they have done or said. The company structure is pretty loose, at least in development. There are teams, but leads do not micromanage work as they would at a corporate company. There are no strict work hours and the dress code is casual. There are some perks people may also like, like free catered lunch every now and then, endless snacks and drinks in the kitchen, and breakfast tacos and bagels on Monday and Friday. There is also a really awesome referral bonus program.

Cons

There are definitely growing pains. I was a bit embarrassed when we had summer interns come in and there were no real desks for them to sit at so we had to make temporary work stations or had them share desk space. The vacation time is less than some other companies around town, but it's pretty standard. The health benefits could be better as well. The pay could be way better. I think a lot of people are underpaid. If this place wasn't so fun to work at, I would have left already.

4 people found this review helpful
    11. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome startup experience

May 20, 2014 - Software Developer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is pretty awesome here Founders are real people who interact with the rest of us No stagnation Great work-life balance Free snacks and catered breakfast every Monday and Friday

Cons

Growing pains like crazy! We're got hockeystick growth here! Benefits could be better, but it's not a huge deal. It'll get better once we're out of the startup phase. The pace may be too fast for some

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews