SnapTravel Reviews

Updated Oct 25, 2019

4.1
SnapTravel Co-Founder, CEO Hussein Fazal (no image)
Hussein Fazal

"Silicon Valley style company in Toronto"

Current Employee - Management in Toronto, ON

I have been working at SnapTravel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am part of the management team at SnapTravel. This is one of the fastest growing most exciting startups in the world to work for. They happen to be in Toronto but both the founders and the entire company have a 'silicon valley' high growth mindset. The company is very results driven and people are rewarded for good work. At the same time, they know how to have fun. Great team events, regular happy hours, and just overall a great place to work!

Cons

None that I can think of

"Not easy, but very rewarding"

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at SnapTravel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Snap travel is growing fast and that means there are a lot of opportunities. Lots of learning and chances to grow as you tackle new problems. Senior Management is intense and Middle Management is pretty chill so it balances out. People speak their mind, work hard, and only focus on things that matter most to build the company.

Cons

It is not a easy job and the team has very high expectations. Long hours and complex work mean that work life balance suffers. Only have free lunch once per week which is cheap.

Continue reading

"Great company momentum but culture is becoming toxic"

2.0

I have been working at SnapTravel full-time

Pros

There are some smart people that work there that I learn from every day. People I work with day to day are nice. The company has been growing at an outstandingly fast pace. I can see us growing even more. I really like the CEO and how good he is at his job. Company was pretty stingy with company events and outings until recently it got a lot better. Founders are open and transparent about majority of things. CTO is a nice guy. He gets more slack than he should for someone that does so much for the business.

Cons

Really intense work environment (not in a good way). Politics is slowly starting to creep up. There is leader in the company that delivers results but he is an extremely disturbed and horrible person. He treats his direct reports with disrespect in front of the whole company (including the founders) several times by saying demeaning/disrespectful things along the lines of “you’re not a thinker, you’re a doer so just do what I’m telling you to do” and many more racist and misogynistic phrases that glassdoor won’t let me publish in a review. I heard he also yelled at an engineer before. I would’ve complained to the founders directly but I am honestly afraid he’ll target me and try to get me fired like he’s tried to for other people that have complained in the past about his department. Also, the founders have heard him say these really offensive things multiple times but haven’t done anything to stop it which tells me they won’t care about my feedback. He even publicly calls himself “vindictive”. Multiple people that I’ve talked to feel a similar way about him, but are afraid to speak up even if reassured that there will be no consequences. He gossips and talks behind people’s backs. Turns people against each other. He has his crew of close friends in the company that he can turn against you easily hence why I’ve stayed clear since I’m not a fan of politics. Our agents aren’t of good quality which leads to customers having a bad experience.

"So so"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SnapTravel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity to learn and develop yourself. Startup environment

Cons

Too stressful. Small salaries. Boring

"Great place to learn from some of the best"

Former Employee - Marketing + Operations in Toronto, ON

I worked at SnapTravel full-time for less than a year

Pros

- high calibre of talent, especially at the leadership level - a lot of smart people to work with and learn from - complete transparency around company finances, marketing performance, product metrics, fundraising efforts, salaries, etc.

Cons

- high-performance culture can sometimes be intense... could lead to burnout in some people

August 13, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

Hey - great to hear the positive feedback, and glad that things are going well! You're definitely right... a performance/results-driven culture can be intense, and it's important we work with the team to proactively address burnout, poor work/life balance, etc. We have some great new initiatives coming this quarter that should help!! Thanks, SnapTravel Team

"Terrible culture"

1.0

I have been working at SnapTravel

Pros

Hardly any I can think of

Cons

Someone raised a question about toxic culture in the company and rather than being addressed it is being treated as the biggest joke in the company. Not surprising. Typical dog-eat-dog high school culture. Don't trust these Glassdoor reviews. HR coerces new employees into writing a Glassdoor review within the first week of their joining.

"Has potential but management is vastly inexperienced"

1.0
    Former Employee - Technical Product Manager in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SnapTravel full-time for less than a year

Pros

- People are genuinely nice - Fast paced growth

Cons

- Short sighted thinking with a "get it live quick" attitude (especially for non-customer facing projects). - Blaming and shaming culture when things go wrong. It seems that people/teams are not allowed to make mistakes. Mistakes are 'held' against you. - Not much thought/consideration is given during hiring. SnapTravel approached me while I was working at another company and offered me the job despite my transparency about my lack of technical knowledge/skills. 3 months into the role, I am told that my technical skills are not good enough and that these "are technical mistakes that should not be made at this level of role". - CTO is very controlling and micro-managing. He is also vastly inexperienced as a leader and lacks key skills required for that level of role. Please note: the above comments are based on my experience in the Engineering side of the business.

Continue reading

"Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at SnapTravel part-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is awesome: everyone works hard but wants to push themselves to get better and drive a superior product for our customers The management team is really smart and thinks critically about the business EVERYONE makes a difference and can see their contributions to the company Fun perks like discounted travel, lunch etc

Cons

Company is growing quickly and sometimes the growing pains are felt e.g., outdated internal tools

August 13, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

Hey - glad you see us as a play to learn & grow! :) Internal tools are definitely a tough one, especially when we've been so focused on the user-facing parts of the product. This is something we're striving to get better at, and with 2 new PM's joining us we think we'll have the capacity to level things up here! Thanks, SnapTravel Team

""Interesting"

Current Employee - Growth Marketer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at SnapTravel full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Very warm and friendly community, I felt welcomed from the first day -Interesting + dynamic work and many opportunities for personal growth -Conversational commerce is a fascinating space and SnapTravel is one of the industry leaders

Cons

improve diversity on the team

August 13, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

Hey — thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! In terms of your feedback, you're right... Diversity and Inclusion were both areas where we needed to improve as a team. We've made some major strides (from 0 to 30% of employees who identify as women; hiring engineers from non-STEM backgrounds, celebrating the holidays/events of team members from varying religions/beliefs) and still have a lot of work to do! Please keep holding us accountable! Thanks, SnapTravel Team

"Fast-moving, high-impact"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at SnapTravel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at SnapTravel gives you a real taste of Bay Area-style startups... big goals, small & fast-moving teams, world-class talent from around the globe and the chance to make major impact.

Cons

This is not a Monday to Friday 9a-5p job. You have flexible hours and scheduling, but need to be willing to work very hard and push yourself to grow quickly.

August 13, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

Hey - so glad that we gave you a look into what Bay Area-style startups are like!! Appreciate all the feedback and advice. :) Thanks, SnapTravel Team

Found 23 reviews