Skillz Employee Reviews about "office location"

Updated Mar 9, 2020

4.0
Skillz CEO and Founder Andrew Paradise
Andrew Paradise
Pros
  • "Better work life balance than most companies I have worked for(in 17 reviews)

• "It's lots of fun, fast paced, and you have a direct impact to our customers and our product(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains with some team organizational changes(in 20 reviews)

• "Bad office location (not the nicest neighborhood in San Francisco)(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "office location"

Return to all Reviews

"Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Director, FP&A Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Skillz enables each and every one of its employees to have a meaningful impact on its business. While some startups offer inflated titles and meaningless work, Skillz offers ownership, authority, and responsibility over key parts of the business. I can safely say I have learned more in my one year here than in all my prior years of work experience put together.

Cons

The current office location (6th and market) is not ideal, but management listened to employee feedback and decided to relocate the company to fidi starting in April. Great example of how Skillz leadership works with employees to always improve upon its workplace experience.

"Astroturfing Skillz"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good at incentivizing employees to leave fake reviews on glassdoor to go from a horrible indicative score to where they are now.

Cons

Extremely toxic culture. Unimpressive engineers leading projects who are barely out of school with obvious results. Toxicity comes from the top-down and the office location seems perfect given the state of the company.

"Great place to grow your career"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

The business has good potential. Culture is great. Most people are very nice. Not everything is perfect, but leadership listens, is open to feedback and acts on the feedback,

Cons

Don't kid yourself, it's hard work. The pace can feel frenetic at times. Looking forward to the new office location.

Continue reading

"Fast Growth, Fun, & Exiting"

Current Employee - Product Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Career growth opportunities are definitely abundant *Friendly and smart people make for a very strong (and positive) company culture *Company has a strong product offering & company positioning, which is reflected in the success trajectory *Work-life balance and lots of company benefits *Visionary leadership and a dedication to constantly improve *Company values are well-directed and truly followed

Cons

The office location isn't ideal. That said, it's recognized as a sore point on the management team and there are plans to move.

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Software in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is growing at an unbelievable rate which leads to opportunities for individuals. While growth leads to challenges and hard work, for those that are seeking an opportunity they would enjoy it at Skillz. The leadership team is also very transparent about the business (open office hours, town halls, willing to speak with anyone no matter their role). The company also has minimal to no work over the weekend to ensure solid work/life balance.

Cons

Office location but the company is moving to a better location at the end of the year.

Continue reading

"Good Career Growth Opportunity for Engineers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good co-op program that helps new engineers grow fast Flexibility on the area people want to focus on Respected role model for engineers

Cons

Bad office location (not the nicest neighborhood in San Francisco)

"Love this company and it’s people"

I have been working at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced environment Explosive company growth Financially strong New games all the time Dedicated and passionate founders Smart people Game developers growing on the platform Play games at work whenever you want to - it is actually helping the company.

Cons

Office location - although the company is planning on moving to a better location Hypergrowth can be difficult for people to cope with. Skillz is growing at a pace that isn’t for everyone.

Continue reading

"Not Perfect But Still Amazing"

I have been working at Skillz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've worked at Skillz since the early days. I wanted to write this review because I don't believe the one star reviews are an accurate depiction of what working at Skillz is like. Culturally Skillz is a work hard / play hard environment epitomizing what is the best of startups while also showing how different a startup environment is from a Google or Facebook size company. In the past 5 years if there is one thing I can say it's that Skillz has only gotten better. In fact, we are hoping to be ready to IPO by the end of this year. I think that any company that has made this much progress from the early days of a cocktail napkin to approaching IPO has to go through a pretty epic journey of change... and frankly some people don't like change. I'd also add that in that voyage, there are ups and downs... there are so many reasons to be happy and also those that make us sad but it would be a farce to call this a one star. In that vein, some of the long standing as well as some of the more recent pros are: * free lunch every friday * free dinner monday through thursday * true digital black out where no non-mission critical emails/slacks are sent friday eve until sunday eve. * work life balance is real * ever increasing valuable stock options as well as benefits. More recently teams started getting leadership development budgets to pay for us to go to conferences in industry. * day of service - we all are volunteering as a company upcoming in May * half day fridays in August - we close the office at noon every friday in August. It's amazing. * Killer summer offsite and epic holiday party - this past year we rented out an enormous ship in the harbor - it was literally a battleship * Playing games for a job? It might sound like torture but it's way better than Salesforce! * Amazing people who are truly motivated to achieve, build and win. We're building a long term independent company and it shows in everything we do. * Open door policy with our executives - we have a town hall with our c-suite weekly. We have office hours where we can talk to our executives each week 1:1 * We believe in a brighter, better future. We are truly mission oriented.

Cons

* office location - we're right on the edge of the TL but we are moving to the heart of SOMA so this really isn't that big of a deal although the past couple of years here has been rough * This isn't grade-school, it's college. Things are hard in the real world. Growing 3 to 4x every year is amazing on the one hand but tiring on the other. Having said that it would be crazy to say anything other than it's worth it.

Continue reading

"Fast-paced, challenging--everything I thought a startup would be"

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

-- This is a company full of crazy intelligent, engaged employees--I absolutely love my co-workers. I report to the COO and find him accessible and whipsmart. I have hilarious conversations over meals with just about anyone in the company--it's that friendly, and everyone is that interesting. Truly. -- The caliber of the work we are asked to do is high. I am fully-engaged--in a good way. I've had a few previous jobs where I was bored, or I was working harder than my co-workers (by a mile). Not the case here--everyone rolls up their sleeves and we get down to business. This isn't a place for people who are shy, or are looking to coast--you are expected to produce results, regardless of your department. -- I love all of the little Skillz traditions, from kickoff on Monday, to wrap on Friday, Friday group lunches, bug bounties, team chants, daily scrum Skillz t-shirt Fridays, Finance Fun Shirt Friday, WEEKENDS OFF(!), to having a local watering hole right next door. I came not from the startup world, and while we occasionally (unintentionally) veer into HBO "Silicon Valley" hilarity territory, most of it Skillz's traditions are charming and energizing. -- The benefits are good - I like everything from the high-quality healthcare (which is way cheaper than my previous employer) to the free lunches on Friday. -- The company is doing really well. Some of my (younger) colleagues don't understand how phenomenal the company's results are...but they are crazy impressive. It's exciting to feel like your tiny role, combined with your colleagues' efforts, resulted in some stunning metrics. -- the office - some people dislike that we're not in a big fancy high-rise, but I love our office--it's light and bright, brick & timber, full of games, has a really positive vibe.

Cons

-- Office Location - we're not in the most savory neighborhood -- Typical startup growing pains - we're growing fast. we're in the "Messy Middle" in terms of scaling, but management and leadership and executives are all working hard to help us scale and address issues as they crop up.

Continue reading
  10. "Overall good place to work"

4.0

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

- quick paced environment with coworkers who are inspired about what they do - lofty company goals but realistic roadmaps to achieve them, feels like everything is doable - big focus on transparency from the top down, feel in the loop more often than not

Cons

- Not great office location - usual startup growing pains (trying to fill leadership roles, lack of procedure)

Found 14 reviews