Skillz Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Mar 19, 2020

Skillz CEO and Founder Andrew Paradise
Andrew Paradise
Pros
  • "Better work life balance than most companies I have worked for(in 17 reviews)

• "It's lots of fun, fast paced, and you have a direct impact to our customers and our product(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains with some team organizational changes(in 20 reviews)

• "Bad office location (not the nicest neighborhood in San Francisco)(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"Challenging, busy, and rewarding!"

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

Room for growth in your roles, AMAZING coworkers!

Cons

Normal startup growing pains: Everyone is busy with many responsibilities and there are long hours.

"Great place to work and learn"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Great team environment * Have learned a lot from my coworkers and the work, more than my prior work experiences * I enjoy the features I am working on and seeing them eventually deployed to production * There's new and exciting work to do every day

Cons

* Some weeks can be pretty hectic with long work hours in order to meet deadlines * Growing pains with some team organizational changes

"On the forefront of the next wave of gaming"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales

I have been working at Skillz full-time

Pros

- Innovative solution for game developers: people want to talk to us and figure out how to make their games and businesses thrive - Broad set of customer base, aka lots of customers to serve - Fun environment, particularly for those that love gaming and solving complex problems. (We just named all the conference rooms on a new floor after Final Fantasy, which is my favorite game series of all time. That was just a nice fun bonus.)

Cons

- Standard issue hyper-growth start up growing pains - Solving first time problems requires persistence and grit

"Be ready to join a family!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

- awesome culture, lots of fun - company of hard working individuals striving towards the same goal - career progression opportunities

Cons

- growing pains as with most startups, can be stressful at times, but with the supportive team it's easy to overcome any problem

"Expectations are high, but the rewards are much higher"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Open, direct, caring managers and exec team - I don't mean this in a touchy-feely, everyone singing kumbaya way, I mean this in a: "Hey, things are great - they're going to tell you" way; and a "Hey, things are NOT great - they're going to tell you!" way. They hold monthly town halls where anyone is allowed (and encouraged) to ask *any* question they want - no matter how tough the question, the exec team always does their best to answer it honestly and openly. Most people quit their jobs because of bad bosses...this is a company where that won't happen. * Personal Accountability - There is plenty of lee-way given for you to do your best and make a splash - something you can do very quickly if you put your mind to it. This also means that you're given enough rope to hang yourself with - don't expect to show up, collect a check, and clock out at quittin' time - you won't be able to lose yourself in the shuffle here! * Healthy Workload - never expect much downtime when working here. The CEO's vision for the company is clear, and there are amazing opportunities waiting for us, but that means there's a LOT of work to be done to get there! Trust me - this is much better than the alternative of not having enough to do! * Work-Life balance - Even though there's tons of work to do, upper management is *very* adamant about people leaving at a reasonable time, and not working weekends unless it's absolutely necessary (which I've only seen a couple times over the past 4 months, and even then it's only once been a full team). The company does a wrap-up at 5pm on Fridays, and then it's expected from all but managers and critical people that it's a full e-lockdown - no email, no slack, no nothing. You can enjoy your time-off here without constantly fretting about work! * Industry Growth - The gaming industry is exploding in profitability, and this company is growing right along with it. The business model revolves around dependable, multi-faceted growth and income, and is not just hoping for the success of a single game to carry them through multiple years of drought. * Company Values - The executive team has established firm company values for all its employees, "Honor" being the most important. These values are all highly compatible with my own, and allow me (push me even) to do the very best that I can every day that I'm here. * Camaraderie - Teams are given budgets to periodically take a half-day to simply bond with their team-mates, promoting cohesion and camaraderie. From things as simple as hanging out at someone's house, to going to acrobatics classes...every team has a blast at these self-scheduled events. We also have quarterly games that involve the entire company - doughnut eating contests, air-zooka shooting contests, and human hungry-hungry hippos...just a bunch of silly fun that allows for inter-team growth and friendship-building.

Cons

* Quickly rising employee numbers means you are always having to re-learn who's responsible for what, writing processes for new teams, etc. Simply growing pains while transitioning to a bigger-sized company. * Still a small-ish company...compensation & benefits won't be *quite* as competitive as, say, the big tech companies here in the Bay. * Current office is on Market, between 6th and 7th St. in downtown San Francisco...a less than desirable neighborhood. However, this should soon be rectified, and our new location is going to be an *incredible* "Pro"! * Transitioning from a small-to-medium sized company means realizing some of the pains of working at a small company (project thrashing, being expected to be able to pivot quickly when stakeholder priorities change, etc.), without realizing all the benefits of a bigger company (stream-lined & process driven project planning, ability to withstand the short-term whims of some & focus on the long-term strategic goals of the company)

"Found a home"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been working at Skillz for just under a year as a Technical Recruiter and my experience has been nothing short of amazing. The previous company I worked for had a toxic work culture, which was established by top of HR. Top of HR would run the team by fear. Those that followed were promoted/recognized, those that didn't were openly ridiculed and disrespected in front of peers during meetings. At Skillz your work is recognized and appreciated. Your goals are transparent and attainable. People treat others with respect. We balance out work life with fun events such as pizza/game nights, company wide offsite, and summer Fridays (half days on Friday). Safe to say, that I've found a home. -Transparency, both on your personal goals, team goals and company financials -Management open to suggestion, as well as providing support for your initiatives -You are recognized and appreciated for your work contributions -Fun work environment -Collaborative team -Excellent recruiter tools as well as support exploring new tools and trainings

Cons

-test heavy interview process -typical startup growing pains

Continue reading

"You will never be bored"

I have been working at Skillz full-time

Pros

- Incredible opportunity for growth - Executive team always comes off as genuine and wants the best for everyone - Welcoming environment

Cons

Fast growth = harder hitting growing pains. Between facilities that are currently stretched thin and workloads that continue to bloom, it's not for the faint of heart. Be prepared to rub elbows with your neighbors for a while.

"An Exciting Place to Work"

I have been working at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's your quintessential fast growing SF tech startup, so it's an exciting environment to work. Company is frequently setting new milestones and growing super rapidly in headcount and revenue, which leads to opportunities to take on more and more for those willing to step up. It's also a pretty fun, collaborative environment -- lots of people play games of all sorts together in the evenings, have beers together on Friday, or do other activities together. You also get to play games during the day. Work life balance is honestly way better than other places I've seen, most people arrive between 8:45-9am, and leave between 5-6pm, which is a pretty reasonable timeframe. Certainly there are exceptions and ebbs and flows, but those are not the norm. The CEO Andrew can rub people the wrong way, but he's been very successful leading the company thus far and has a strong vision for where we're going, and he's certainly a pretty smart guy in general, so overall I think he's a good leader at this time, even though I would do some things differently.

Cons

There's definitely some growing pains. I think senior leadership is essentially just as involved in every minor day-to-day decision now as there were when I started, which was some time ago. I think they need to step out of the day-to-day and trust their teams more, even if that means they don't agree with every decision being made. Despite the startup size, there's many layers, and more bureaucracy than I've seen at a 3000 person plus organization. I've heard stories of people spending hours writing cost-benefit analyses for very minor expenses, which is ludicrous. (Frugality is a value which is taken a bit too far in my opinion.) Accept it, deal with it, and you'll be fine.

Continue reading

"Fast-paced, challenging--everything I thought a startup would be"

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

-- This is a company full of crazy intelligent, engaged employees--I absolutely love my co-workers. I report to the COO and find him accessible and whipsmart. I have hilarious conversations over meals with just about anyone in the company--it's that friendly, and everyone is that interesting. Truly. -- The caliber of the work we are asked to do is high. I am fully-engaged--in a good way. I've had a few previous jobs where I was bored, or I was working harder than my co-workers (by a mile). Not the case here--everyone rolls up their sleeves and we get down to business. This isn't a place for people who are shy, or are looking to coast--you are expected to produce results, regardless of your department. -- I love all of the little Skillz traditions, from kickoff on Monday, to wrap on Friday, Friday group lunches, bug bounties, team chants, daily scrum Skillz t-shirt Fridays, Finance Fun Shirt Friday, WEEKENDS OFF(!), to having a local watering hole right next door. I came not from the startup world, and while we occasionally (unintentionally) veer into HBO "Silicon Valley" hilarity territory, most of it Skillz's traditions are charming and energizing. -- The benefits are good - I like everything from the high-quality healthcare (which is way cheaper than my previous employer) to the free lunches on Friday. -- The company is doing really well. Some of my (younger) colleagues don't understand how phenomenal the company's results are...but they are crazy impressive. It's exciting to feel like your tiny role, combined with your colleagues' efforts, resulted in some stunning metrics. -- the office - some people dislike that we're not in a big fancy high-rise, but I love our office--it's light and bright, brick & timber, full of games, has a really positive vibe.

Cons

-- Office Location - we're not in the most savory neighborhood -- Typical startup growing pains - we're growing fast. we're in the "Messy Middle" in terms of scaling, but management and leadership and executives are all working hard to help us scale and address issues as they crop up.

"Absolute Blast!"

I have been working at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The caliber of people. Everyone you work with is awesome at their role, excited to be there, and willing to be a team player. This creates a culture of continuous learning from your peers. - Intellectual challenge. The complex combinations of mobile, esports, players, developers, marketing, product, and tech create endless fun challenges and opportunities. - Mentorship. I have had countless people spend time working with me to grow. - Strong values and OKRs. It's super clear what we are working on and why. It makes it easier to get good work done when we start with shared principles and goals. - Working in games! I stumbled into gaming and have loved the space, the people, and the work!

Cons

- Growing pains. The rate of growth in nearly every way at Skillz has been a huge challenge to keep up with. This can result in longer hours and tons of work. That said, this is a good problem to have and was 100% expected based on my hiring process. - Resource constraints. There are times where a simple, seemingly logical initiative becomes micromanaged/complicated as all parties involved are trying to be frugal. I have seen this improve over time.

Found 20 reviews