Simon-Kucher & Partners Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Simon-Kucher & Partners CEO Dr. Georg Tacke
Dr. Georg Tacke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Pas encore de CE, la work/life balance pourrait" (in 20 reviews)

• "One colleague was hospitalized due to exhaustion after several weeks of long hours and weekend work" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Consultant"

I worked at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time

Pros

Great culture, bright and dedicated employees, opportunity for responsibility early, opportunity to specialize in pricing and packgaing

Cons

compensation, engagements with compressed timelines, lack of employees with lots of experience at company

Advice to Management

Do what it takes to retain talent - comp, longer projects etc.

2. "Opportunity Growth unbalanced by Company (employee) groth"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers
    Work in an innovative space with some of the most pertinent companies
    Generally supportive, educational environment

Cons

Project Opportunity /Growth is outpacing company growth, resulting in a lot of pressure on consultants
    Bonus and salary do not reflect expected commitments, especially when compared to other consulting firms
    Point 1 and 2 result in an absence of middle management, which puts more pressure and permits less education on the job than optimal

Advice to Management

Hire more people
    Align benefits / salary to market equivalents
    Try to think long term strategy rather than just keeping afloat

3. "Senior consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

I worked at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong growth that enable consultants to grow and learn fastly
    Great management team
    Interesting business opportunities

Cons

Strong personal investment needed but a good work life balance can be maintained

"My worst work experience in a multi-decade career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really smart people and true expertise in pricing. Great spirit among people at the peer level at communal events. Great exposure to clients at high levels in their organizations. Consultants get lots of face time with partners. Good snacks in the kitchen. Travel is much less than at other similar firms. Some truly top-tier clients. Can get long-term international (mostly European) assignments. The firm is truly respected for its expertise.

Cons

Staffing is a major issue:

- High turnover rates. I was surprised how much recruiting happened in the U.S. for the size of the firm. There’s a burst of hiring at the end of each academic year as almost all new hires come straight from college (undergrad and masters/PhD programs). I was told that it was due to growth, but I later came to realize that rather it’s because turnover is incredibly high. When people leave before the next annual wave of hires come in, projects can be quite short staffed. And it’s really hard to maintain institutional knowledge when so much of it leaves each year.
    - This leads to >90% utilization rates at times -- and some partners forcing routine weekend work, all-nighters, missed holidays and vacation, etc.
    - I had been assigned to projects with no subject matter expert available, which led to poor outcomes.
    - I missed a red flag when I interviewed: I asked to speak with people who had experience outside the firm and was only put in touch with a recent MBA grad. People with outside experience don’t stay long.

Partners are highly variable. Some treat their teams well and with reasonable expectations, and others are brutal.

- One partner questioned my intelligence when I asked for help finding resources to learn new subject matter.
    - Some partners are standoffish. Some won’t spend much time helping staff that they haven’t worked with before, even on projects they are managing. It felt like a trust issue. Instead of developing staff, they have contempt for those who they feel aren’t as smart.
    - Some partners rely on favorite managers who can be quite immature who have not worked anywhere other than Simon-Kucher and not learned reasonable working norms. For example, one superior refused to talk to me during a project then gave me poor scores through the feedback system. They would not directly address their concerns with me when I scheduled a time to ask for feedback.
    -Partners are god-like. One partner made a mistake in presenting some info to a client. The team scrambled to find data to support the incorrect view. And it wasn’t even a big mistake.

Work-life balance and office conditions:

- One colleague was hospitalized due to exhaustion after several weeks of long hours and weekend work. The underlying issues were not addressed.
    - A recruiting video highlights a consultant whose wife was about to give birth to his first child. When he told the partner, the partner tells him he didn’t have to travel when the final presentation was a week before his wife was due. And the consultant thought this was such an unexpected surprise. To me, this didn't seem like something to brag about. (If you look on YouTube, you can find the video.)
    - When I had a legitimate medical issue that required me to get attention during the middle of a project, a partner glared at me like I was trying to sabotage the work.
    - Heating/cooling is a long-term issue in the Cambridge office. Temperatures regularly exceeded 85 degrees in offices and meeting rooms. After hours, HVAC sometimes turns off altogether, despite people frequently being in the office late.

Personal development:

- Very minimal personal development opportunities, aside from corporate trainings 1x/year at the world meeting, and not all staff is eligible even for those trainings.
    - The review process is not connected to reality. Scores are arbitrary. I always scored high until I ended up on a project that went sideways, and my past performance was no longer a factor. It’s entirely possible I wasn’t performing well because, despite my past high scores, partners do not want to show scores that are too low for internal political reasons.
    - Mandatory 8-day training (including weekends) for new hires at HQ in Germany. Topics were rudimentary for some and advanced for others, showing the little attention paid to personal needs. For most people attending training, it was a big party with late nights. One peer missed a couple of days of training with rumors that they were buying/using drugs at clubs; leadership made excuses when they found out - despite big talk otherwise.
    - Salaries are below market for firms Simon-Kucher wishes to compete with, which likely leads to departures.

Advice to Management

Advice will fall on deaf ears, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

5. "Number one in the market for Top-line projects within the strategy consulting segment"

I have been working at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time

Pros

- Projects topics
    - Salary
    - International exposure

Cons

- Work/Life balance
    - Hard MBA sponsorship

Advice to Management

Make sure to keep the fast track career option available within the organization to remain competitive with top 3 strategy consulting firms

"Consulting experience"

I worked at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time

Pros

Good knowledge about pricing and retail

Cons

Unhealthy working environment and work/life balance

"Research Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Simon-Kucher & Partners part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company with amazing company culture and room to grow as a consultant. Competes with the big 3 consulting firms. Horizontal org. structure gives you tons of exposure to higher levels of management, which in turn provides a constant learning environment!

Cons

No cons that I can think of!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, interesting projects, exciting work!

Cons

Nothing that I can point my finger so far

9. "Niche consultancy, growing quickly with a great team"

I have been working at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time

Pros

- The entrepreneurial spirit is great
    - Great people to learn from and to work with
    - Specialists with a lot of knowledge about pricing

Cons

- Work/life balance is not perfect, but it is the nature of consulting
    - Experiencing some growing pains (growing quickly)
    - Career options mainly revolve around pricing if you leave

Advice to Management

Keep on promoting and developing the brand beyond Germany, consider investing more in marketing.

"Good experience but salaries below the market"

I worked at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time

Pros

Very good as a first experience, good for data learning, and very good team dynamic

Cons

Salaries below the market and closer to industry than consultancy firm...