Silverchair Reviews

Updated Mar 12, 2020

4.0
Silverchair CEO Thane Kerner (no image)
Thane Kerner
  1. "Loved my time at the company!"

4.0

I have been working at Silverchair part-time

Pros

Great management team, loved the people I worked with

Cons

I wish the pay was a bit higher but overall no real cons

May 6, 2019Chief People Officer

We're glad you enjoy working here. Thanks for being part of the team!

2. "Plenty of Opportunity"

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to learn and grow if you can work fast paced and stay organized. Colleagues are friendly and supportive.

Cons

Training and mentorship could be more formalized, the work is often very dependent on in-house knowledge of existing structure.

March 16, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback. We definitely move fast and there is a lot to learn. While we offer a lot of training there is an opportunity for us to do better in terms of formalizing, videoing and cataloging. Thanks for helping us continue to grow!

"Glad I Tried It"

Current Employee - Client Services Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Friendly people with good senses of humor -Intellectually stimulating environment with a culture of learning and problem-solving -Snacks and treats

Cons

-Parking is not free -Re: closed-door meeting spaces for work, demand sometimes exceeds supply -Few couches and tables for breaks

March 9, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback. We do have great people and there are lots of jokes around here. With picking up the Urban Outfitters space we should have more space for meetings and couches so hopefully soon those problems will be solved.

"Alright"

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Silverchair full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are all very friendly and its a relaxed place to work. There are also many fun events planned through the year for all employees.

Cons

The work can be boring and developers are clearly worked harder than other roles. Also there is a claim to have unlimited time off however they will limit you once you reach a certain amount.

March 9, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback. We do have a good time here and events are part of the fun. Of course, not every part of the work is glamorous, and we try to remember that even the boring tasks are helping our clients improve the use of scholarly research throughout the world. Our PTO policy, though generous, is not unlimited – it is a Responsible PTO system. This means that the amount of time employees take off has to work for both parties - both the employee and the company. Thank you for the feedback and for helping us grow!

"Company values mean nothing if they don't occasionally cause pain"

Current Employee - SQA Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is one of the few places I've worked where the company values are more than just PR, or something we tell new hires about and conveniently forget when it impacts revenue. I've worked at those places. Places where calling out an issue leads to someone telling you to mind your business or stay in your lane. Silverchair actively encourages you to raise issues. They're by no means perfect about solving them, but they do strive to improve over time and that means a lot. Silverchair has an amazing work culture and ethic. People are open and honest about feedback and criticism with the goal of constructive growth. Also has some of the smartest people I've had the privilege of working with. I've learned and grown a ton working there, and continue to learn every day. Great work life balance, great PTO system, decent benefits.

Cons

The business side can sometimes have a bigger voice in outcomes than other orgs, this is generally true of most agile shops however, and there are genuine attempts to improve that balance.

January 6, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback. Our values truly do matter here. For us, high performance is 51% how you work with your colleagues and 49% about the results you produce. Thanks for being part of our team and for helping us improve each day.

"Mixed bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Silverchair full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will get baptized by fire here. Depending on how you respond to that will determine if that is a good or bad thing. If you love Agile, which you should, this is the place to learn. Everyone is extremely smart. You will learn so much if you work here.

Cons

Onboarding is decent but the mentoring program seems to be an after thought. Which is unfortunate since you're expected to be 100% ramped up after about month. The tech debt is massive and the platform is extremely complex. Shipping features as fast as possible is valued over clean code and proper unit testing. It's a very cliquey culture and devoid of humor unless you think cat pictures are comedy gold. It's also next to impossible to affect change. Lot's of good idea's die quick death's at the hands of C-Level executives. Turn over is extremely high.

Continue reading
  7. "Product Owner Interview Process"

Current Employee - Product Owner

I have been working at Silverchair full-time

Pros

From start to finish the process and communication was clear, timely, honest, and overall very pleasant and positive. The team members I communicated with at each step were all warm and engaged, and created an environment which allowed for a relaxed and friendly exchange of information and ideas.

Cons

None, it was a very positive experience.

8. "I have been working as a Business Analyst for less than a year."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good company, very flexible, opportunity to learn and grow in your area of work. The more initiative we take the more there is to learn and grow in the company. The interview process was pretty smooth and finished in 3 weeks time with a telephone round and an onsite interview for 3 hours.

Cons

Benefits are medium.

Continue reading
  9. "Great training, teamwork and mission-driven rewarding work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great onboarding program, paired with onboarding buddy who really helps you learn the codebase and how to navigate the company resources. A lot of investment in people; having a good attitude and being adaptable to changing needs can really take you far. Going to repeat what other reviewers have said, when it pertains. "Everyone on my team is really helpful and encouraging. Silverchair also really appreciates their employees. They are very understanding about sickness and emergencies. (Plus, they keep the kitchens stocked with nice snacks!)". "One of the best places I've worked from a company culture standpoint." "Fast paced. Rapidly growing. Our success has led to a quickly evolving workplace where top performers rise rapidly."

Cons

Benefits are comparable in terms of the Charlottesville tech scene, which is generally on par with a city of this size, parental leave policy is low.

July 8, 2019Chief People Officer

Thank you so much for the feedback. We are so happy to hear that you've experienced our focus on growth and learning. As for our culture - it is awesome! And that is because you are part of it. Thank you!

10. "Lots of energy, growth, and great training"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most training I've ever had at a new job; people like working here; company on the growth curve; excellent resources for new hires; great facility; flexible PTO

Cons

Parking can be a bit of an issue (they provide discounted options); benefits are average

June 20, 2019Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback. So happy to hear that you enjoyed the onboarding. We really want our new hires to feel not only welcomed, but supported. While there is a lot that is covered in the onboarding program, our goal is for you to get the context of what we do, how we do it, and who does what. Thank you for the advice on keeping the pedal to the metal, we definitely are, and are happy you are along for the ride. (speaking of rides - parking can be tricky. We'll keep working on options.) Thank you.

Found 42 reviews