Cover image for Silicon Valley Community Foundation

23% Recommend to a Friend
4% Approve of CEO

Found 69 of over 73 reviews

2.4
Silicon Valley Community Foundation President & CEO  Emmett D. Carson (no image)
Emmett D. Carson
Pros
  • "Good brand name; Great people with diverse experiences(in 4 reviews)

• "Work/life balance, good nonprofit resume material(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I feel bad for those currently being managed by her since it is challenging to get other jobs of the same field in Silicon Valley(in 4 reviews)

• "I worked at Silicon Valley Community Foundation for a year after feeling burned-out from week 2(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Wonderful CEO with Motivated Employees

Jan. 16, 2021 - Officer in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Since of Shared Mission, CEO's leadership: Nicole does an incredible job of leading the organization. She has a leadership style that motivates every department to see the bigger picture of what they do.

Cons

The pay is lower for entry positions, and to recruit top-talent the company might need to consider increasing the wages of new employees.

4 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0

Great place to start your Non Profit Career

Feb. 26, 2019 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Passionate people, Awesome free lunch and breakfast once a month Unlimited snacks and beverages Fun work activities that makes the work day more enjoyable. The new CEO is a phenomenal leader.

Cons

The organization is in transition, hence if you are not comfortable with change, this might not be the right time to join the party.

3 people found this review helpful
    3. Join the Silicon Valley Community Foundation team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 5.0

A High Impact Nonprofit

Oct. 12, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people doing incredible work

Cons

Requires your best work and thinking every day.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Former Employee

Mission driven nirvana

Nov. 3, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great learning and fantastic benefits for starters

Cons

Nonprofit world can be a little insular

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Temporary Grants Assistant

Jul. 20, 2016 - Grants Associate in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nurtures a positive team attitude among staff Helps staff members build self-confidence with both encouragement and thoughtfully given corrections to errors Organization's mission of helping families, individuals and organizations manage wealth and philanthropy is much-needed in Silicon Valley and has a positive impact on the local community, as local non-profits are able to improve their services

Cons

Like all of Silicon Valley, you need to come to work every day with a clear mind and a capacity for fast, superb performance in your job Sometimes feels like white upper-middle-class mono-culture

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best Non profit I've worked at.

Jun. 7, 2012 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and sincere people

Cons

possible can be better pay

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Growing Organization

Sep. 9, 2022 - Donor Engagement Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Building trust with communities. Great mission.

Cons

Hard to do remotely. HR disconnect with actual work.

9. 4.0

Great exposure

Apr. 27, 2021 - Donor Services Senior Associate - Grants in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Get to work with high-profile and really wide-ranging groups of people, organizations, and donors. Think the future is bright after strategic planning and restructuring, more stable group of staff, increased commitment to communication and culture, and incredible impact around the world.

Cons

Lots of turn over in the last few years and not the best culture but working on it! It's what you make of it!

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

A new direction with a new CEO and ten months of reflection, examination, learning and growing

Feb. 21, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Excellent benefits (generous PTO and VTO, health, dental, vision, retirement, paid family leave, telecommute one day a week) -Committed and talented staff - Social committee to plan fun events (summer picnic, end of year holiday party, halloween party, ice cream social, thanksgiving potluck, and more!) - Employee volunteer council to plan group volunteer opportunities - Opportunities to truly make an impact in the community The SVCF board and senior leadership made some important decisions during a very public organizational crisis that surfaced in 2018. I am confident that these decisions have steered SVCF in a new direction. Some of these decisions include: - Bringing in a previous board member as interim CEO to right the ship and truly focus on examining and rebuilding our culture, starting with the creation of a Culture Task Force, which consists of staff of all levels. This task force is charged with a review of our values and how to live them authentically and taking a look at our cultural norms and behaviors. While sometimes it feels like it's one step forward, two steps back, there has been definite progress. - In her short tenure, our new CEO has been explicit in her commitment to ensuring that SVCF focuses on our impact in our local community and beyond. She has said both internally and externally that she is committed to working with the board and our teams to ensure that our community impact work is married with our donor engagement work. - They have instituted a new series of Town Hall meetings with board members so all levels of staff have an opportunity to build relationships directly with board members - There is a new art committee to add local art to our walls which has improved the vibrancy of the working environment - Regular email communication from the board on the steps they are taking as we rebuild after this time of crisis And to end with, I think one of the biggest pros of working here is the relationships with our local partners who have stood by us throughout this difficult time. To me, this shows that our community impact has been there all along and with this new direction, we have so much more opportunity with our local partners to truly improve the lives of folks here in Silicon Valley.

Cons

I have been at SVCF for a number of years. As you can probably gather from the other reviews on here, the last few years were tumultuous. I am fortunate enough to be in a division where the intense toxicity was not rampant; but I will be honest there were serious issues. That said, once everything blew up during a very public organizational crisis, while it took awhile, in the end, the board and senior leadership made some very important decisions that have truly changed the direction of SVCF. I'm seasoned enough to know it is still a long road and that not all senior management may like the new direction, but I think we have the staff and leadership from our CEO and other key leaders to get us through.

5 people found this review helpful
    11. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great place for a great experience

Dec. 12, 2015 - Associate in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with cooperative colleagues and team feeling

Cons

Lots of overtime during holiday season!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 69 Reviews
    </>Embed

Silicon Valley Community Foundation Reviews FAQs

Silicon Valley Community Foundation has an overall rating of 2.4 out of 5, based on over 73 reviews left anonymously by employees. 23% of employees would recommend working at Silicon Valley Community Foundation to a friend and 24% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 6% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Silicon Valley Community Foundation employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Silicon Valley Community Foundation. This rating has improved by 6% over the last 12 months.

23% of Silicon Valley Community Foundation employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Silicon Valley Community Foundation 2.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.1 for culture and values and 2.6 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Silicon Valley Community Foundation Job Seekers