Shutterstock Reviews

Found 449 of over 543 reviews

3.4
Shutterstock CEO Stan Pavlovsky
Stan Pavlovsky
Pros
  • "Perks like free snacks, free lunch once a week , fitness benefits(in 61 reviews)

• "Working in the Empire State Building is cool(in 38 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Historically high turnover in leadership(in 23 reviews)

• "Work/life balance, salaries not competitive(in 21 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

313 Comments

Tech

103.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Shutterstock~270840
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Outstanding turn-around

Aug 30, 2021 - Enterprise Finance
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot has happened since I joined 2.5 years ago. The company's return to growth stems from a renewed emphasis on culture IMO. The current leadership team is much more thoughtful and better at communicating a vision for the company with clear goals and strategies that support. There are numerous forums to ask questions and make your voice heard. These changes have gone a long way in boosting morale and employee engagement across business lines & functions. I have also noticed more investment in key disciplines like talent development & performance management. Everyone is taking employee engagement surveys much more seriously which is a great signal. I am really happy to be at Shutterstock during this time.

Cons

There used to be a list of cons but not anymore. The company has matured under Stan's leadership. There used to be a heavy meeting culture which has since been addressed and there are much fewer meeting which has translated into greater productivity and morale from what I have witnessed.

6 people found this review helpful

Shutterstock Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Glassdoor! We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying your experience and that you see the changes the company has been making to create a vibrant and collaborative culture. We are a work in progress and are only getting better -- we're so happy to have people like you on the team!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic Work Environment

Jan 16, 2022 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Competitive Salary and Benefits - Helpful HR, coworkers - Modern technology stacks

Cons

- offices are closed due to the pandemic

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Decent place to work, but lots to fix

Nov 4, 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Room for career progression since it is a large company.

Cons

Extremely high levels of attrition at Shutterstock in all areas of the company - especially in the leadership team. For example, since joining the corporate sales team 2 years ago, I had 6 different managers including several months with no manager. There is also WAY too many different products and licenses that it makes for a confusing sell to clients. As a sales person you are also competing directly with the Shutterstock e-commerce website. The culture has also gotten toxic over the past couple years and people are generally unhappy.

2 people found this review helpful

Shutterstock Response

Thank you for leaving a review on Glassdoor. It’s true that we have had more turnover than we would like on the leadership team over the past year or two, but that’s normal when a founder-led company transitions to a new CEO. We are in the midst of an exciting transformation that requires all of us to be comfortable with change. That’s the mindset of an employee who will thrive at Shutterstock. And it’s working. Our customers are responding and we are continuing to grow. This is why we are serious about our talent and attracting the best and the brightest to be a part of something new and amazing! ,.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Vicious & cruel

Sep 2, 2021 - Project Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

You occasionally get to work on a cool project.

Cons

Shutterstock as a whole, but specifically their NYC headquarters and former Toronto office don’t play by the rules. The unprofessionalism is rampant, and you need to be a bad person if you want to get ahead. Their platform is outdated, and the company isn’t focused on growth but rather plucking less than innovative ideas out of an unorganized backlog. Nothing works properly, so you’re constantly reworking broken infrastructure.

10 people found this review helpful

Shutterstock Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are sorry to hear your experience at Shutterstock wasn't positive, and your headline is disturbing, particularly as we return from Shutterstock's five day Recharge Holiday. Additionally, based on survey results, we know that teamwork and the ability to work with talented people are top scoring areas for us. Shutterstock is in the midst of enormous transformation and while there is still much work to do, your comment regarding an outdated platform and lack of innovation are somewhat confounding, as we are in a constant state of innovation. Everyone's experience is different and while your perception is your reality, we feel a tremendous amount of pride over the work the company and all of our teammates have put into building an exciting platform for creators. We wish you the best in your future career endeavors.

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Worst company ever

Aug 19, 2021 - Producer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Zero. None. The C Suite are unqualified to run a legitimate business. HR are useless and incompetent.

Cons

This company will work you 24 hours a day, belittle you in front of your team, and treat you like garbage.

8 people found this review helpful

Shutterstock Response

We’re sorry your experience hasn’t been the best at Shutterstock. As employee engagement continues to rise (according to our survey data) and our company steadily grows for over a year now, it’s difficult to find common ground with some of your comments. However, we know there are always things to improve - including addressing burnout which has been particularly hard for many companies navigating through a remote work environment. This is why we have focused on our Wellness Program and providing employees with opportunities to find more balance - like with our company-wide Recharge Holiday, Summer Fridays and Meeting Free Wednesdays, to name a few. But based on your comments, it sounds like Shutterstock may not be the place for you - and that is ok. We sincerely want you to be happier, even if that means it’s with another company.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Upper management continues to not listen and make all the wrong decisions

Jul 19, 2021 - Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great salary, nice office, ability to work from home

Cons

Fake dedication to diversity (almost everyone on top is a white male 40-60s), "leaders" stay for around 2 years, have huge "revolutionary" goals, and then leave. Mostly promote the loudest in the room but not necessarily the best suited.

7 people found this review helpful

Shutterstock Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Glassdoor. We are working hard to recruit diverse talent to Shutterstock and realize that it’s especially important at senior levels to have diverse perspectives at the table. We need more people like you, who truly care and realize the value of diversity and inclusion, to be a part of our transformation. We’re glad you’re here!

7. 3.0

Great place to work

Jul 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun industry. People are nice.

Cons

Not a lot of growth. Lot's of turnover

1 person found this review helpful

Shutterstock Response

Thanks for your feedback. We agree - we have some of the most talented people working at Shutterstock and a sense of teamwork is one of our biggest strengths - according to this year’s employee engagement survey. And in regards to growth - we have been growing for over a year now thanks to the outstanding work of our employees and the vision of our leadership.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Fun as we all as challenging great mix

Jun 26, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership and autonomy fun as it involves progressive ideas great employees Easy to work from home Younger staff

Cons

large work High expecations corporate mentality

Shutterstock Response

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Shutterstock. We love to see Shutterstock alumni who see and understand our vision and strategy. As we continue our transformation to bring new value to our customers and the market, the cultural shift away from a “traditional corporate environment” will be a natural part of our progression.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good benefits and work life balance, needs more structure

Jun 17, 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, pay, people & culture is good

Cons

Sales management needs more planning and consistency in their strategies and executions

Shutterstock Response

Thank you for taking the time to review Shutterstock on Glassdoor. We're happy to hear that you are enjoying your experience and enjoy the culture we are building. As we continue to transform, there are some growing pains and we are working hard to build consistency in our processes. We see the areas where we need to work on building more consistency and truly appreciate you sharing your perspective.

10. 1.0

Toxic

Jun 29, 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay Empire State Building HQ is kinda cool

Cons

Toxic (doesn’t matter what new leadership comes in) feedback and recommendations are coming from toxic lifers holding on to power. The leaders who stay find a way to conform or thrive with how toxic things are.

8 people found this review helpful

Shutterstock Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We’re sorry you didn’t have a positive experience while working at Shutterstock. It’s true, we’ve had a lot of changes in leadership recently and change fatigue is real. But our new leadership has an exciting, achievable vision for Shutterstock’s evolution. We know we have hard work ahead of us to make it happen, but it’s important for every employee to understand it and be committed to making it happen. You’re absolutely right -- we have to hire people who are as excited and motivated as we are and we’re working on doing exactly that. It’s going to be amazing. We wish you the best of luck in your future career endeavors!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 449 Reviews