Shoppers Drug Mart Reviews

Updated Aug 2, 2021

Found 3,307 of over 3,492 reviews

3.6
Shoppers Drug Mart President Mike Motz (no image)
Mike Motz
Pros
  • "Besides employee discount, you will received annual reward at the end of year in forms of free gift(in 159 reviews)

• "Great career development and friendly work environment(in 139 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Hourly allowance from head office change often(in 80 reviews)

• "It's a part time minimum wage job(in 71 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

na

Aug 1, 2021 - Pharmacy Assistant in Richmond Hill, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

safe work environment and very nice management. flexible schedule, time for lunch, experienced and nice employees

Cons

it is a very busy work environment, hard to deal with patient some times, shifts some times not fair

2. 2.0
      Former Employee

cosmetic manager

Jul 30, 2021 - Unemployed in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Discount (but.. no points with discount, save for one day every other month where you can get your discount and some points.) Positive customer relations / get to help people find what they need. Generally clean workplace environment. Trainings and free products with the trainings (although, I have to say it's STILL not worth doing this position for that).

Cons

Corporate has completely different expectations of you , and the store manager and owner-associate have a totally different expectation. You're set up to fail. Do not work here as a cosmetic manager - it tends to be the scapegoat position for the entire store. Lots of unpaid overtime and toxic culture. Store Managers get away with abuse and more and the company can't do anything but wait for them to retire. Worst workplace of my life. Also.. there is a LOT of hidden corruption and the owners are often at the root of it, with store managers helping them. You'll be constantly "dinged" for doing what they told you to do or what they do themselves, and they'll never get in trouble for it. They actually tell you to do shady stuff and don't properly explain. Hardly any training. Our store had no security and cosmetics needs someone on the floor at all times, so you have to ask someone from another section to "cover" if you need to use the washroom or just do your job and grab stock from the backroom etc. Results in passive aggressiveness and you're essentially expected to be a security guard and cosmetics sales staff and do management paperwork during your shift. And be abused constantly by manager and owner-associate. Not worth it.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Was good at first but decreasing staff rapidly

Jul 9, 2021 - Supervisor in Hamilton, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really good if you're in school and need accommodations for your schedule - pretty good with last minute changes as well. Always a good group of people working these kinds of jobs!

Cons

Underpaid, overworked Reduction of staff means the work you used to do with 5+ people now must be done with 2 in the same time frame Although schedules were accommodating, management has a hard time understanding that you have a life outside of work, so they're very demanding about you coming in when they need you. They also schedule you when you say you can't work and tell you it's too late to change it. I was a part-time worker, and during exams they scheduled me for 35+ hours and when I asked to change that, they told me they "needed me" to be there. Since the staff is reduced, there's no one to cover your shift most of the time so if you call in sick they really try and get you to come in anyways and guilt you Talk a lot about the negatives and put a lot of pressure on the team

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Good Company To Learn and Develop In

Jul 30, 2021 - Supervisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is average, but the job is always new and you get experience in everything from merchandising, to customer service, to basic bookkeeping.

Cons

Late hours for closing shifts if 12am store. Can be very stressful at times, and you can't please all customers. Sometimes have to stay longer to complete a task.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good company

Jul 25, 2021 - Cashier in Burnaby, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The place I worked at has good people and considerate management

Cons

- Having to do cashiering while doing other stuff. - At the time it was minimum wage, and I felt that it should be more not only at SDM but the whole retail industry

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place

Jul 28, 2021 - Merchandiser in Winnipeg, MB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great managers, coworkers and environment. It all depends which store you work for and the environment each store creates. Great life-work balance. Easy to take time off.

Cons

Some customers are hard to deal with. It all depends on the location. The store i worked for was close to downtown with lots of activities happening day and night.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company

Jul 27, 2021 - Pharmacy Assistant in Sudbury, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Obviously dependent on owner, a career in pharmacy allows you to learn much about the medical field. If you are like, you value what you learn

Cons

If you can not handle a fast-paced environment, and consistently being bombarded with tasks, patient questions and complaints, you will not survive. This is a place for growth, and and to grow you need to learn

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good Work Experience

Jun 10, 2021 - Merchandiser in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

As an international student from Japan with very limited work experience, the manager was kind enough to give me a chance to work there after I applied in person. I worked at Shoppers for 9 months but I quickly adapted to the work environment right away as all of my co-workers were friendly and inviting. The work is quite easy once you get used to it, and it also requires you to walk around the store and even do some heavy lifting which I prefer over a job where I sit in the same spot.

Cons

As a merchandiser, I often had to be the back up cashier and I also had to be the main cashier several times, which isn't too difficult, but I personally dislike being a cashier. There are also a few mundane tasks that have to be done every night, mainly facing all of the merchandise on the shelves.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good place to work

Aug 1, 2021 - Assistant Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good working environment and fair treatment

Cons

Benefits are not as competitive as other companies

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Needs culture work

Aug 2, 2021 - Beauty Specialist in Winnipeg, MB
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great benefits and insurance - Flexible work schedule - Employee discount - Various training programs are available - Employee performance reviews

Cons

- Poor communication from Head Office - Little recognition - Poor workplace culture - Low pay scales -Stress from corporate

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,307 Reviews