Shopify Employee Reviews about "working from home"
Updated Oct. 9, 2021
- Arts & Design
- Customer Services & Support
- Finance & Accounting
- Personnel/Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Media & Communications
- Military & Protective Services
- Product & Project Management
- Research & Science
- Retail & Food Services
- Skilled Labour & Manufacturing
- Current Employees
Found 31 of over 2K reviews
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Most Recent
- Oldest first
"Flexible work hours and good work from home support" (in 94 reviews)
"work life balance make commerce better" (in 59 reviews)
"Work from home can be hard as well for work life balance" (in 33 reviews)
"Not everyone loves working from home" (in 33 reviews)
Got a burning question about Shopify? Just ask!
Cority Software Inc
It’s so frustrating to see that companies are now only hiring people that have an “ex-Google, shopify” etc on their profiles. It’s like they don’t even care that other people exist or that they can also be equally good or better. What do you guys think? What’s the best way to get a recruiter’s/HM’s attention? I have tried referrals, personal message on LinkedIn but nothing has worked so far. But then I see someone from freaking shopify getting that same job I applied for 🙄🙄
I’m in the market for a new role and a pivot to a career outside of product. When searching roles I find that experience in specific applications such as Shopify, Salesforce, SAP, Oracle, etc. are required in a ton of roles. I’m willing to educate myself in these areas to make myself more marketable, but curious if anyone has tips on how to get exposure to these while being in an organization that doesn’t use any of the above?
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Shopify and is not affected by filters.
- Ethnic Group
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
Reviews about "working from home"Return to all Reviews
- Former Intern, less than 1 year★★★★★
Great place to work atOct. 9, 2021 - Software Engineer(Internship) in Montreal, QCRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Great place to work at, people really care about your growth and want to encourage you to grow
Hated working from home. Management was shifting around and every time they did we had to rescope the project. Didn't get anything done for months, or to be exact, worked on stuff just to be told it was being scraped again.
- Current Employee, less than 1 year★★★★★
Genuine company that cares for its merchants (customers) as well as employees, alike!Jan. 24, 2021 - Junior Support Advisor in Calgary, ABRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
1. Great positive teams and trainers 2. Monthly budget allocation for books and reading material you'd like to purchase for personal or professional development and growth 3. Free work laptop, hugh 27" Dell monitor keyboard, mouse, USB C to HDMI adapter etc. Company lets you keep everything even after you stop working for the firm; only return laptop for security reasons 4. Fun place to work, fun people to work with 5. Great work life balace 6. They genuinely care about you, and in turn you learn to genuinely care about the customers (CX) 7. This is a company where anyone can do anything! Start off in CX support .. move into HR, IT, Finance, Data Analytics, Software Development, etc. If you excel in your current role and want to switch roles.. the company sponsors your education of bridging courses from local universities/colleges that prep you for your new role. Shopify is like a university in itself; a gigantic learning hub for anyone that wants to!
Can't think of any. But keep your lines of communication open with your lead/traininer. They are there to help you, but in a work from home scenario its not difficult for a misunderstanding to prop up. Then it tests your ability to turn the situation in your favour. As long as you are honest about how you spend the time during working hours and stay on top of your work, you will keep moving forward. Not a "Con" per say.. just something to keep in mind. This company is more rewarding that most others out there I have seen, and I have lived on 4 continents in the last 15years :-)Continue reading
- Current Employee★★★★★
I feel like I finally made itJul. 18, 2021 - Data Scientist in Toronto, ONRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
- Amazing mentors, leads, and directors - Folks have cared about my growth - I've learned soo so much - I'm treated respectfully - I respect The Company's leadership and The Company's mission - My compensation is competitive - I love my work
- Really, my only gripe involves the working-from-home culture. I'm a social person so missing out on office spaces and meeting colleagues in person has been a downer. I feel like sometimes I don't know too many people. I get that this is the format during COVID, and I appreciate how The Company committed to the digital-by-default format so as to (eventually) make it the best possible experience, but there are growing pains.
- Current Employee, more than 1 year★★★★★
Autonomy to work the way you want toFeb. 15, 2021 - Software Developer in Toronto, ONRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
There's minimal process and things are really up to your team on how you work. That sentiment is propagated from leadership down as well, to make sure that process doesn't get in the way of writing code quickly and efficiently. The ability to transition into different roles when you feel that you've stagnated in yours or see another interesting opportunity is also great, since you still feel incentivized to stay at the company due to the great culture and work/life balance.
Sometimes it's difficult to unhinge from work since there is a lot going on at once, and being permanent work-from-home introduces challenges around growth and connection with your team. All solveable things, but a challenge none-the-less.Continue reading
- Current Employee, less than 1 year★★★★★
Phenonemal!Aug. 9, 2021 - Operations in Ottawa, ONRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Everything about this company is amazing. From day one you are well taken care of and they want you to succeed at all levels.
Nothing to report at this time. Less than 6 months with the company and it has been amazing so far. They are handling the work-from-home extremely well!
- Former Employee★★★★★
Good Intro JobSep. 24, 2021 - Customer Success GuruRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Great team atmosphere and work life balance
Can be a high stress environment, difficult to always work from home
- Former Employee, less than 1 year★★★★★
Customer service at shopifyJul. 29, 2021 - GuruRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Great perks/benefits, decent pay, work from home, young and vibrant culture, supportive management
Irregular hours for this position. Work from home can be hard as well for work life balance.Continue reading
- Current Employee, more than 5 years★★★★★
Life changingJul. 23, 2021 - Senior Support Specialist in Ottawa, ONRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Good salary, great culture, great benefits and ample vacation time
Sometimes working from home can be lonely and having tools developed or improved can be arduous and like screaming into a void
- Current Employee★★★★★
The best workplace I've ever had!Jul. 20, 2021 - Network Engineer in Montreal, QCRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Lots of opportunities for professional growth, great organizational culture, diversity, fair compensation good perks
Permanently working from home, the amenities in the offices were great
- Former Employee, more than 3 years★★★★★
Systematic ProblemsJul. 22, 2020 - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ONRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
The people are amazing Working from home offers flexibility The benefits package is impressive You'll learn more than you ever thought possible
Working from home can be isolating Being remote means you don't get paid as much as someone working in the office (and they don't keep up with cost of living - hope you like making the same salary for 5 years straight) When perks are given company-wide, Support is usually excluded, or given a watered-down version Perks don't pay the bills, but are included when they evaluate your compensation and tell you it's "on par with industry standard" Growth outside of Support is all but impossible. Success stories exist but are maybe 1% Chokehold on scheduling - good luck trying to take a vacation or even take a pee break when you need it Decision makers are far removed from the front line. The Shopify they talk about publicly doesn't exist. Major changes happen daily. Support lives in chaos. Huge decisions are made and then walked back within hours You're expected to keep track of changes but given no time to do so Management's perception of what the job is vs the reality of what it actually is differ appallingly No metrics for success, no consistency in evaluation. Raises based on "impact", but "impact" is undefined and raises are so rare that most people think assume don't exist. Leadership with minimal training, human resources issues abound and don't get handled appropriately Gaslighting happens everywhere - you'll be told there's no issue and everything is fine, even as you're struggling to stay afloat Senior/Executive management is 90 + % white and male. No interest in differing perspectives or changing status quo at the top. Support workers are expendableContinue reading
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, and we're sorry that you didn't have the experience we hope to give every Shopify employee. We work hard to create an environment where everyone belongs and we need difficult conversations like this to make sure we embody our value of thriving on change. You're right that Shopify is a demanding environment, and that the expectations are high. While we do our best to provide competitive wages and benefits, we also need to know where we fall short. Like you mentioned in your review, changes happen all the time, and we're committed to changing for the better. We want to always reflect the world we all live in and will continue to show our commitment to this as we continue to grow and shift.