Shopify Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 11, 2021

Found 44 of over 1,245 reviews

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "Flexible work hours and good work from home support(in 67 reviews)

• "Get to work from home, great benefits(in 47 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "Higher ups preach "work/life harmony" (work/life balance) but you'll get side eye if you try to leave the office before 5 on a Friday(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Thinking about going back

Dec 13, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work/life balance, and solid team

Cons

Too bad everyone's remote now.

Social Care

Hello, there! Thank you for sharing your experience. We are so happy to hear you had found a way to balance your life at work and home. Finding a way to define both environments is so beneficial to your every-day at Shopify. Our offices were an amazing addition to the Shopify workplace, but by going digital we will be able to take advantage of all the perks of working from home. Reaching out to your lead or management team is always the best way to go if you are feeling too isolated or you’re finding working remote too challenging. Again, thank you for your feedback. Feedback like this is always appreciated!

2. 3.0
      Former Employee

hard to grow, good perks

Jan 7, 2021 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

great perks (gifts, salaries, events) and work life balance - can log off after 5pm

Cons

Not the best place to grow. measuring your success more based on output rather than solving problems. Things are all over the place, projects don't even have PMs, and the projects you're working on could even get scrapped. Too many changes within the org hard to keep track of. Sucks that all your growth is dependent on your lead, if you get a mean lead, good luck getting a promotion. not much diversity. Could get stuck fixing accessibility issues all day.

5 people found this review helpful
    3. What people are saying about Shopify

Join the conversation on

Tech

34.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-integrated-Reviews&utm_term=Shopify~675933
      Join the conversation on
    4. 5.0

No comment

Dec 4, 2020 - Senior Researcher in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

food, flexible, work life balance

Cons

busy, long hours, ambiguity, fast

Social Care

Hello, there! Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you’ve had a positive experience working with Shopify so far. That’s great to hear! It’s so important to have a stable work-life balance and a perk if you get to enjoy great food and a flexible work environment as well. If you’re finding that your workload seems to be too much, then I would recommend reaching out to your lead to inquire about work expectations and how to adjust your workflow. Reflecting on the situation you’re in with others can offer different view points and help guide you down the right path. Thank you again for sharing your feedback.

5. 4.0

Good Company to work for

Nov 22, 2020 - Senior Web Developer (UI/User Experience/HTML/JavaScript/PHP)
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very good work life balance,

Cons

I didn't find much till now.

Social Care

Hey, there! Thanks so much for leaving a review, it is really appreciated. Creating a healthy work/life balance is key to making sure your mental health is looked after and you're giving yourself enough time to rest. We have lots of resources in our internal support pages (our Vault) to help you with mental wellness, physical health as financial wellbeing. We would encourage everyone to check them out for some really useful information. Thank you again for leaving such a positive review!

6. 3.0

Great company

Nov 22, 2020 - Fraud/Risk Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, great culture, avant gardist mindset

Cons

First line leaders lack experience Lack of work life balance Not much room for upper mobility

Social Care

Hey, there! Our leadership team have listened to feedback on career opportunities, and have worked together to show all employees a clear and easy way they can progress in their Shopify careers. There is a Career Pathing Guide available on our internal support pages! This means there is a huge amount of transparency around how to progress to different roles. Every single one of us influences the environment here through our everyday actions and interactions. Therefore, we all own culture. We embrace being multicultural and celebrate the differences that occur naturally within teams, departments, locations, and projects. We see this diversity as a strength! An Avant Gardist mindset is a great way to describe how we approach our challenges; we make it our goal to change and adapt to the needs of our merchants by finding new and creative ways to solve problems. Thank you again for leaving a review, it's very much appreciated!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing company. Amazing people. Amazing experience.

Sep 3, 2020 - Support Advisor in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

As the headline says, working here all around is in another reality – absolutely beneficial in every single way to ones' wellbeing, career pathing and aspirations, income need, productivity needs, and more.

Cons

For this role specifically – if you're easily phased by difficult interactions, this isn't for you – however if you can stick it out by seeing it as a stepping stone through to career pathing (and more) will lend major cred and confidence to your professional (and life) resume, goals, and aspirations. Another thing I will say (unrelated to the above) is you can get swallowed up in Shopify's great culture and community – not a detriment to working here whatsoever; again, a great opportunity for personal development with regard to strengthening personal boundaries for work-life balance (...a serious must!)

1 person found this review helpful

Support Specialist

Hello! Thanks so much for taking the time to write and submit your review. Working at Shopify really is a unique experience. I want to acknowledge what you said about the role as a stepping stone, but also recognize that some employees absolutely love, thrive, and grow in the role long term. One of the great things about Shopify is that there are no parameters around growth and you are encouraged to pace yourself in your role and in your growth as it suits you and regardless of how fast or slow you progress, it’s always an opportunity for personal development and strength building. Thanks again for your feedback.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company

Sep 5, 2020 - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay, management and work life balance

Cons

Nothing I can think of really

Social Care

Hey there! Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it sounds like you're enjoying your time here. Our compensation packages are consistently reviewed here to make sure they are competitive with the current market, and we do try to make your work environment as comfortable and positive as possible. This includes striking a healthy balance between home and work, as this is vital to all of our employee's mental health and happiness. Thank you again, the positive review is very much appreciated!

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing experience

May 23, 2020 - Developer in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place Work life balance Opportunities Good salary

Cons

Workload may not be shared equally.

1 person found this review helpful

Social Care

Thanks so much for the review. I'm glad to see there are so many Pros here, always a good sign! Salaries are consistently reviewed here to make sure they are competitive with the current market, and we do try to make your work environment as comfortable and positive as possible. I'm so glad you're happy here! What you mentioned about the workload, I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced that. You should not have to pick up after others, I'm sure you are busy with your own work! Everyone is responsible for their own workload. I'd advise reaching out to your team lead to chat more about this, feedback is a gift and I'm sure they want to hear more about where the team can be improved. Thanks again!

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Burnout City

Feb 14, 2020 - Customer Support
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Decent pay * Solid benefits package, including retirement and lifestyle spending * Most of your squad mates will be good, supportive folks. Misery loves company.

Cons

* Unsustainably stressful work environment: You'll have to deal with at least 3 chats at a time, usually all dealing with vastly different issues. If you take longer than 15 minutes with each of those people, your boss will chew you out for being too slow * Management cares more about how many upsell opportunities you found (regardless of relevance to the customer's needs) than genuine customer satisfaction. * High turnover rates: Stressful conditions, unrealistic expectations and pressure from management leads to a lot of people burning out, taking stress leave, or just plain quitting. Termination with last-second notice is not unheard of. Management threatening termination if you "can't take it" is common. Some people don't even make it through training. * Inconsistent Managment: Had a good time with a couple of managers who filled in while my boss was away (which was often). My boss himself was the definition of false sincerity. Very "buddy-buddy" in appearance, but with threatening tendencies when management style or behaviour was brought into question. Unsupportive and intimidating * Work from home can be isolating. Tough to leave the work behind when there's no real distance between your work space and your living space * Work-Life Balance is a joke: You'll be buried in follow-up emails of one sort or another constantly, and you'll be given less than an hour each day specifically to work on them (all the while, accumulating more). If you stay late to try and make a dent in them, you won't be paid overtime. * Training lasts a month and is still insufficient to ramp people up to the speed this company demands of their workers. * Internal and external resources used to help with customer problems are frequently out of date and generally inefficient.

25 people found this review helpful
    11. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Worth the investment

Jan 16, 2020 - Customer Success Guru - Remote
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work life balance Salaried pay Health benefits

Cons

Can be stressful Lots of multitasking A lot of responsibility

Viewing 1 - 10 of 44 Reviews