Shopify Employee Reviews about "merchants"

Updated Aug 12, 2020

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "You work from home which is best decision I ever made as well as helping the planet(in 64 reviews)

• "Get to work from home, great benefits(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "Higher ups preach "work/life harmony" (work/life balance) but you'll get side eye if you try to leave the office before 5 on a Friday(in 18 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "merchants"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A difficult, but rewarding career"

Current Employee - Squad Lead in Chilliwack, BC

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

You're continually working towards making a positive impact on people's live in and out of Shopify by developing stronger written and verbal communication, understanding the needs of the team, the merchants, and the company simultaneously, and helping develop the platform further to create more opportunity for business owners to thrive in.

Cons

You are constantly failing forward, but it takes a toll on your emotional well-being. That being said, you are encouraged to take breaks when needed, use personal time, vacation time, and schedule yourself breaks throughout the day to rest. There aren't a lot of downsides for me. It's a rewarding job even on the hardest of days, but it does take a lot of out you.

2. "Great company, but won’t grow in craft"

Current Employee - Senior Product Designer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong mission driven company, creating value for inspiring merchants.

Cons

Behind industry standard for discipline craft.

3. "Great Place to be!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

autonomy great product variety of merchants

Cons

thrive on change is a core value and change is extremely frequent

Shopify Response

August 26, 2020Social Care

Thanks for leaving a review! Thriving on change can definitely be difficult, especially as change is so constant here. We're growing so much as a company! Because of this, we need to see and appreciate the benefits of change, and learn to thrive in an environment that’s always moving. I know it can feel overwhelming sometimes, but the mindset of 'being comfortable with being uncomfortable' will help embrace these changes! I'm glad to hear you enjoy the Pros of your role here! Being a constant learner is also one of our core values; having the freedom to self-direct your own learning is so important. If you focus in on learning what you're passionate about in your role, you can channel that knowledge into your work. This is how we create great products: passionate people and diversity of thought. Thank you again for the review, have a great day!

4. COVID-19

"Made to feel old and worthless!!!"

Former Employee - Customer Support Guru

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

See pros aren't pros, because they are to pay off the cons. So nope, not worth it.

Cons

Sink or swim, they don't care. They do not help you in areas you are struggling with, they just consistently bash you with terrible QA. All about the merchants! During the Covid we have been taken abuse from merchants, have to take it BC they are under stress! What about us? Just BC we work does not mean this situation isn't affecting us! Let's push our support over the edge. If you have a lead who cares, your golden, if not, crash and burn. People off of work stressed because they fire people for no reason, other than, the SL doesn't like you. HR is so full of themselves, flouncing her I'm better than everyone else attitude, upper management so disillusioned about how great Shopify is. Workers are a number, easily replaced. You aren't a millenial, goodluck surviving! They don't care, they are hoping you will quit. Don't like it here, bubye is their motto.

Continue reading

"Cult of groupthink. Avoid if your a critical thinker, or if you want work life balance."

Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of fattening, luxurious food. open bar on site Interns get a retreat where wild stuff always seems to happen Great learning environment Smart people Very cool product Beautiful art stuffed office. VR arcade in office 'perks perks and no perks'

Cons

-culture of dishonesty surrounding their product and how many merchants they actually have vs just people owning accounts -out of control progressivism, with patches of hyper political correctness- say they value viewpoint diversity but beware if you are conservative -culture of greenwashing where they advertise being environmentally friendly, but then have key products that enable massive waste in the online ecosystem -culture of high ideals that are betrayed by constant doublespeak -be prepared to feel cognitive dissonance -high stress due to fast growth and poor mid level management -inadequate recognition of introverts because you must be 'high impact and be good at branding and advertising yourself' with no formal evaluation criteria - popular people who do little do well here -your contract says 40 hours, but 50-60 was not uncommon when you include all of the 'not mandatory' social events -culture of burnout and discrimination against people with preexisting mental health issues who can't handle it -had management slash the intern housing allowance in two in the middle of our internship. as an intern, you're basically disposable.

Continue reading
  6. "Friendly and supportive work environment; plenty of autonomy"

Current Employee - Escalated Support

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The teams I have been a part of are incredibly supportive of each other's goals and personal development. - I have regular chats about my impact with my team lead, which helps guide my growth within the company. - There is a huge amount of trust between leads and colleagues; I thrive in this level of autonomy. - I get to have a positive impact in merchants' lives each day. - I feel very supported by the benefits plan provided; it is evident that the company wants happy and healthy employees. - I have a great work-life balance where I am able to create a strong boundary between work and non-work hours. - All technology to perform the job is provided.

Cons

- Working remotely can sometimes be a lonely experience. - Certain internal job opportunities are only available in cities with offices.

"An anxiety-inducing job."

2.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros: -Immediate benefits -Benefits are great - from lifestyle spending to insurance coverage -Working from comfort of home -Paid vacation days

Cons

Cons: -Anxiety-inducing -Working overtime without pay -High-stress phone calls with merchants -Needed to always up sell -Not much room for growth into company - essentially stuck at Guru position

Continue reading

"Guruland is drowning. This will harm your mental health."

Former Employee - Customer Support Guru in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits package is very good, however it doesn't include vision for some reason.

Cons

The position of guru is touted as being the perfect stepping stone into the company. I can tell you, flat out, that is a lie. If you don't know someone (have an 'in' with someone from that department) you will not be hired into a new role. Guruing is hard work. The platform changes everyday and you are expected to change with it. New features are expected to be learned (without adequate time to train and practice). Some features are removed with little notice and we are expected to explain why to upset merchants (with ~positive positioning~ and offering them a chance to pay more money for a different plan than what they currently have). Shopify seems to pride itself on being a cool, hip place to work. However, guruland is drowning. There's not enough being done to show care for gurus mental health. We're told that 'breaking' is completely normal and expected. Isn't it sad that a company is telling their employees, the front line faces of their company, that yes, you will have mental breakdowns while working here? Gurus aren't afforded the same leave benefits as the rest of the company. Most of the weekends up to the end of the year are already booked. Vacation is very, very structured and if you don't book it right away you will not get it. I know I'm complaining, but it's all I can do to help future gurus who apply for this position. Please know what you're getting into when you apply. It's a stressful, relentless, mentally exhausting job. You will experience burnout and it will harm your mental health.

Continue reading

"great benefits, no work life balance"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Hacker in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with very cool merchants Bar, food, snacks (The Shopify 15 is real)

Cons

minimal work life balance expected to close deals from a hospital bed

"This place is straight up the worst."

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gurus are great people, you share and go through a lot of frustration and BS together so it really bonds you with your squad, especially if you have a bad unexperienced lead which is the norm.

Cons

Terrible. This place is terrible. Middle management and supervisors are absolutely clueless with how to properly run the support team that Shopify needs. Our concerns are dismissed always and we're made to feel like we don't know anything by people that have never done our job. The only people who stick up for gurus in the rest of support are people who were recently gurus since they know what it's like. Suggest something reasonable like adding a character/ message limit for merchants starting chats so we don't get pages of text before even connecting with the merchant during our HOUR long wait times? Nope, no way, god forbid we implement something that makes the guru job even a sliver easier when we are actively voicing where we are struggling. Stop trying to compare Shopify to other companies that are nothing like us. We support the ENTIRE internet. This isn't Rogers, or Telus where you actually have departments that know about a specific aspect of the company to help someone, so you have no business trying to tell us that we're following the norm. Pretty sure Rogers went down to 2 chats at a time also after their employees voiced concerns but noooo, not Shopify, it's basically a crime to make any kind of change that positively impacts employees and helps them with an increasingly stressful job. We're the place mat for merchants to walk all over us and if you voice that you're struggling, you're essentially told off since there's 100s of people wanting to work here (obviously oblivious to how it actually is working here). Please PLEASE read all the Glassdoor reviews before considering working here, especially for gurus. And anyone working here under a year is still probably under the impression that Shopify cares about them and they have a chance to advance. That notion will fade soon once you start seeing the patterns of how decisions are made and the lies you are fed to make you think you are working towards a larger goal. You are fed the idea that Shopify's success is your success. It is not. Shopify will use and abuse gurus to grow and once you are burnt out they are done with you. Upper management has completely lost touch with what it means to care about their employees. Last time I checked, it's normal for large companies that say they are 'progressive' to actually invest time, resources and money into their employees to try and keep them here. We've had dozens of great people quit for much better jobs in the past few months and still no one in management seems to think employee retention is necessary.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 32 English Reviews